• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It seemed to me to be a pretty non-committal fence-sitting type of report.
Almost like he wanted to say it was great but didn't want to lose credibility with those who might not like Korean cars, perhaps.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Only just noticed this.

At motorway speeds our Hyundai i30 CRDi had fuel consumption in the six to seven litres per hundred kilometres range. This increased to nine to ten litres per hundred in the hard grind of typical city commuting. The best European turbo-diesel engines in this class can do significantly better than this, showing that the Asian car makers still have a distance to go in their designs of car diesel engines. Knowing Hyundai, that won’t take long.

As many of our owners here know, the car routinely gets sub 5.8l/100K, in some instances getting close to 4.9! So they must not have had the car for very long, or only drove it a relatively short distance at 'highway' speed.

To not be fair, it is carsguide.com.au, which is the motoring equivalent of New Idea magazine, full of gossip and not much substance.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It seemed to me to be a pretty non-committal fence-sitting type of report.
Almost like he wanted to say it was great but didn't want to lose credibility with those who might not like Korean cars, perhaps.  :undecided:

It has become a little more difficult to say 'its not quite as good as a Golf' with a straight face, given their current 'issues' and the number of owners talking so positively about the Auto Tranny.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i think the only manual golf is the R diesel i was thinking about buying one b4 i got my second fd i30

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
my hyundai i30 blue drive is averaging 39 mpg not anywhere near the mpg advertised i drive with one eye on the mpg readout and keep a very light foot ;;advice please from members :mad:
  • hyundia i30 blue drive active

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Still better than a Qashqai innit ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
my hyundai i30 blue drive is averaging 39 mpg not anywhere near the mpg advertised i drive with one eye on the mpg readout and keep a very light foot ;;advice please from members :mad:

Same as my 1.4 petrol active.

Have had a bit more on a ling trip but i was so light on the gas i was going backwards.:))>:(
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

How far has your car travelled and what type of driving do you do mainly  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

How far has your car travelled and what type of driving do you do mainly  :question:

:eek: and is the handbrake off  :whistler:

Does it seem to be running ok? Obviously being a diesel, it is not going to be as smooth as silk but should be fairly smooth once warm .. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax

how did you know my last car was a quashie were u on the nissan forum????]

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax

:eek: and is the handbrake off  :whistler:

Does it seem to be running ok? Obviously being a diesel, it is not going to be as smooth as silk but should be fairly smooth once warm .. :undecided:

i drive very moderatly less than 60mph on motorways keep to speed limit (due to four run ins with speed cameras over the years )done 1500 since july 18th from new average 58 mpg on motorway half n half mixed driving ,urban driving in hilly halifax town ;;the blurb says 76 mpg average ;;drops down to 39mpg in town ..don,t understand wot i,m doing wrong .yes the handbrake is off not carrying cement in the boot ;;pls advice fellow members ;;thanks lol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Diesels take a while to bed in and give their best economy ... it will improve over the next few thousand miles.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the info, if you look on the forum, you would have seen that the fuel economy doesn't start to improve for at least 6200 miles or 10k kms. Diesel engines are very tight when new and the figures mentioned are just the start of the fuel improvement. This might seem to be a disappointment to you, but as these engines are very long lived, they take at least this long to begin loosening up. During this period, a country drive now and then will do the engine the world of good, as it will get to correct operating temp.

Also, being a Diesel, in your country, you have the DPF fitted which burns extra fuel to clean itself periodically.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

how did you know my last car was a quashie were u on the nissan forum????]

I'm a member of a large number of motoring forums :P

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Either Ewen Kennedy is a total dick,or if his report is correct,tis just another reason not to buy another I30,as I have not had a long driving experience in the GD,I from driving the older FD's honestly couldn't see why Hyundai would change their design this dramamtically as this bloke explains it,I for one have never heard anyone say their car is using up to 10 to 11 litres a 100,if this is true,why wouldn't you just go out and buy  larger car getting these types of economies,In all honesty I think my first thoughts where the correct ones,this reporter is a Dick
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline wozz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick
G'day All
I took delivery of  my 2012 built crd i30 manual in February  this year.
I do highway k's 95% of the time.
I''ve got 22 000 k's on the clock and I'm  getting 4.5 to 4.7 l/100k, 980 to 1050 k's per tank on average.

I test drove the vw polo(bloody terrible) and the vw golf( direct competition but $10 000 more for no reason, badge!)
Great car the I30, very happy.
  • 2012 i30 1.6 crd

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's what we like to hear.  :goodjob2:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
And I'd also like to repeat that my petrol 1.6 returns 41 MPG, slightly down from the 44 MPG I used to enjoy doing long journeys. That's 6.9litres/100kms.
And here's another MPG converter  http://mpg.webix.co.uk/?r=1
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great to hear wozz  :D

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
were u on the Nissan forum mate was wondering about your comment about my quashqai ,liked the forum but had a few fall outs for speaking my mind so myself and harry n tec got barred .I won,t make that mistake again learnt to bite my tongue haha

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

were u on the Nissan forum mate was wondering about your comment about my quashqai ,liked the forum but had a few fall outs for speaking my mind so myself and harry n tec got barred .I won,t make that mistake again learnt to bite my tongue haha

Administrator Comment No, we won't stand for it here (lucky we all got comfy seats) :snigger:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
were u on the Nissan forum mate was wondering about your comment about my quashqai ...

You asked me that before :lol:

Hyundai i30 Premium 1.6-litre turbodiesel review

Yeah, I monitor lots and lots of forums in my spare time :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal