Turbo killed after 35Tkm!!

I30Racer · 53 · 17571

Offline I30Racer

• 2nd Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg
Hi,

After 35000 km my Turbo  has said goodbye on the highway! :mad:

According to statement of my trader,it is a fault by factory and  is now substituted about guarantee.

Now I would like to know how many km you already have and whether did already someone else have the same problem? :eek:

Regards

I30Racer

ouri30
Hi,

After 35000 km my Turbo  has said goodbye on the highway! :mad:

According to statement of my trader,it is a fault by factory and  is now substituted about guarantee.

Now I would like to know how many km you already have and whether did already someone else have the same problem? :eek:

Regards

I30Racer

Ouri30 has done almost 48 000km and will have done in excess of 50 000km by the time it is 12 months old in just under a month.  So far no issues with turbo.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i have 26,000k up but rarely rev past 3,000. also i always ide the motor for a minute or so before turning off, just so the turbine bearing has freash oil on it when i restart. did you have a turbine bearing failure?
also sorry to hear about your problem.

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
I'm on my 3rd turbo!
1st was changed because the dealer thought ut was making a weird noise. (If you ask me, it was fine!). The car has 20K Km.

The 2nd turbo literally "blew" only with 4000Km (no warnings... In my opinion, with was faulty instalation on something like that).

I'm on my 3rd, and he has now done 4000Km and ot seems to be healthy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've done 37000+ now in 14 months and purring like a kitten (my car runs well too) :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
I've done 52K for 11 months ... so far so good ...

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
What signs did you have?

I have a feeling my turbo sounds weird. A friend was listening to it today and said it was fine, but I'm still not sure, because I know it is a bit louder than before. I have 30,000 km so that's close to yours..

Offline kdr500

• 1st Gear
What signs did you have?

I have a feeling my turbo sounds weird. A friend was listening to it today and said it was fine, but I'm still not sure, because I know it is a bit louder than before. I have 30,000 km so that's close to yours..

hi all, if in doubt get it checked my i30 has 90k and the turbo makes a sound like a dentist drill but up & down with the revs. Verdict turbo rooted!

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Ireland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

the turbo went on my i30 at 60.000 km

Tell us more please..I guess it was covered under Warranty ..Do you get dealer or independent servicing? Was it a loud bang or just a whoosh and a lot of smoke?..(Very few have blown as a % of our members)

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

Ireland
my car has nothing only Main Dealer Work.... drove the car 2miles,came home for a few hours. started the car and and white smoke everywhere and no power. before the turbo went there was a loud whistle coming from it. the car wasnt boosting correct , it was boosting at a real high rev range... really good boost. was like a scoobie or someting ,, lol.......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that info.. Did it take long for them to get a replacement and change it over?

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

Ireland
It took just about a week from a main dealer to be fitted and back on the road.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It took just about a week from a main dealer to be fitted and back on the road.

That sounds about right.. Guess they wouldn't carry a spare in stock .. :cool:

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

Ireland
ya they hat to get the parts in  they said it was the first turbo to go in ireland

Pip
ya they hat to get the parts in  they said it was the first turbo to go in ireland
Henno, do you know your car's engine oil history? How often changed and what was it?

Just curious.

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

Ireland
the oil was change every 20.000km i dont no what the oil was it was change at a main dealer all the time i think it was shell oil

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Glad I chose a none-turbo petrol version. I spent 4 years with my last car ( a diesel Fiat) fretting about turbo failure.... It never did but at 74,000 miles it tended to sound like a distant police siren on cold mornings.

IMO it really is important to warm the turbo down after using boost... maybe 30 seconds to a minute idling at the end of a boosted trip, or drive easy off boost for a few minutes before switching the motor off.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad I chose a none-turbo petrol version. I spent 4 years with my last car ( a diesel Fiat) fretting about turbo failure.... It never did but at 74,000 miles it tended to sound like a distant police siren on cold mornings.

IMO it really is important to warm the turbo down after using boost... maybe 30 seconds to a minute idling at the end of a boosted trip, or drive easy off boost for a few minutes before switching the motor off.

I don't think the little garrett turbo on the i30 is anything to worry about (VERY low failure rate and 5 years warranty in most places) If I ever buy another i30 it will be a CRDi (They are awesome)  :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Mybe so but the advice to warm the turbo down is good advice, as is advice to ensure the right oil always gets used & to warm the oil through before demanding full boost.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mybe so but the advice to warm the turbo down is good advice, as is advice to ensure the right oil always gets used & to warm the oil through before demanding full boost.

Yes I agree. If you live in a built up area it is not so bad because it has time to warm/cool down before you park up. :cool:

The time to be careful would be if gunning it on the highway then pull in for fuel on a highway petrol stop.. :sweating:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
the oil was change every 20.000km i dont no what the oil was it was change at a main dealer all the time i think it was shell oil

That's a long time between oil changes.... :eek:

Pip

That's a long time between oil changes.... :eek:

I thought that too. Only good oil designed for long OCI should be left in that long. As we don't know what the oil really was it's impossible to say whether it was "good oil".

The buggared turbo offers some circumstancial evidence to the contrary though me thinks... :wink:

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

Ireland
that what the main dealer had every 20,000 on it from the day i got the car and i got the car new the main dealer where i got the is shut down and when i went to a new main dealer it was the same every 20,000 km when do recommend to change the oil

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I've got 80,000k have rarely reved past 3,000. i have a few friends that have common rail 4 cyl Turbo Diesels that have high k's no turbo issues one has 520,000k up and is due to get a new one.
but they don't rev them high.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

that what the main dealer had every 20,000 on it from the day i got the car and i got the car new the main dealer where i got the is shut down and when i went to a new main dealer it was the same every 20,000 km when do recommend to change the oil

Maximum 15,000 Km here in Oz or if you do a lot of towing or short trips some do it at 7500 km (Oil only - not full service) :cool:

Pip
.. when do recommend to change the oil
I'd suggest you do an oil change with filter at 10,000km intervals, i.e., an additional one between regular 20,000km services. You still need to ensure that ACEA B4 (or C3 if you have a DPF) oil is used.

Oil, filter and 1/2 an hour... shouldn't cost too much.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Out of interest can anybody explain to me what happens when you get a turbo failure and how does it affect the car. Would it be something that would be instantaneously noticeable or is it something that could creep up on you?

My car is feeling a bit sluggish, probably just this batch of diesel but was just wondering.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
When turbo dies it feels like you've just lost half of your motor and car won't go over 50-70km/h.
If it happens you'll know ...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal