i30 Owners Club

i30 wing mirror wrong size?

Offline langetc

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all,
So I recently lost my right-hand wing mirror (just the glass/backing, very neat, looks like theft), and I ordered a replacement from ebay. This one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVER-SIDE-WING-DOOR-SPHERICAL-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-HYUNDAI-I30-2007-ON-RHS-OFF-S-/390611177741?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3Ai30&hash=item5af23d910d

But when it arrived I realised that the clips which attach it to the mirror mechanism are slightly further apart than on my car, which seems to be this style of mirror instead. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10793.0

So it won't clip in.
My question is: Is there a smart way I can attach this thing anyway? Glue, jerry-rig some clips?
And how have I made this mistake? Is it a UK/AUS difference or something?

Any help greatly appreciated. Finding this part without buying the whole darn mirror seems near impossible!
  • i30 '08 CRDI

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think I would have tried the local wreckers first. More chance of getting a similar fit. Ebay can be a bit dicey with things like that and you have to wait for it to arrive.

Can't help you much except to say that you may have to rig up your own adapter if you can't source a proper replacement. Give you a chance to see how creative you are.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, langetc.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: langetc

Not much in it is there.. So the mirror is ok (just the clips are slightly different?)

WAsn't aware of any differences but one could be Korean built and the other for the Euro Factory (difference manufacturer maybe)

Without actually having the parts in my hand, hard to say  :undecided:

If you glue it though, leave plenty of time for the glue to set as mirrors subject to a lot of vibration AND also be careful that glue doesn't stop the mirror adjustment mechanism doing it's stuff... :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal