i30 Owners Club

What is that black dotted mesh near the rear-view mirror in i30 ?

Offline demuire

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Queensland

It's also the only part of the windscreen not covered by the sun visors.  I'd like to see it across the full width of the screen.

Reminds me of the black contact I fitted across the top of my XY Falcon back in 1971.  Lasted for years.

I had my windows tinted, as well as a strip put across the top of the front windshield.
The installer went around the dotted mesh near the rear-view mirror instead of going right over as I had expected.
Guess it was much easier this way for them.

Gotta get a better picture of it some time...

They can't tint straight over it as the tint doesn't stick to it. If they had tinted over it the tint would lift and bubble here after awhile.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So, getting back to the original question posed by PawelPabich...

The general consensus is that (on the i30) it's just a sunshade, yes?  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It's a Conspiracy

You've all got it wrong! The spotty part of the windscreen is due to faecal deposits by insects because you lot don't respect your cars and keep them clean. 'But the deposits are too evenly spaced to be crap!' I hear you ask. Here's proof positive of an insect depositing crap evenly:

'What causes this highly patterned behaviour?' I hear you ask again (I have good hearing). Allow me to provide you with more proof positive: The following is a carefully collated grid map of UFO appearances across the globe, linking them to our magnetic field. Note how the appearances follow a regular pattern of spacing:

Because the radio emissions through the windscreen are of a much higher frequency than the Earth's Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) waves, the corresponding wavelength is only a fraction of the size and correlates to the spacing of the spots of insect crap.

If you are one of our despicable unhygienic drivers, then you will also be prone to imposing an acoustic influence on your swarm of insect crappers. Pay special attention, you outack NSW and QLD types in particular. If you tune to Country or Western (or both!), these little insectoid anuses will line up and start boot scooting, again causing the regular pattern of spots.

Insects behave much like UFOs - some fly, some glow at night, some change colour, some invade your body and deposit their eggs in your brain. This is yet another reason why you should wear tin foil helmets under your tupees - so clean up your acts and be very very careful!

Case closed.

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Without going and having a ganders at it i'm sure mine are white spots
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Gonz you have too much something in on your hands. It could be time.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So, getting back to the original question posed by PawelPabich...

The general consensus is that (on the i30) it's just a sunshade, yes?  :lol:
Agreed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It's also the only part of the windscreen not covered by the sun visors.  I'd like to see it across the full width of the screen.

Reminds me of the black contact I fitted across the top of my XY Falcon back in 1971.  Lasted for years.

I had my windows tinted, as well as a strip put across the top of the front windshield.
The installer went around the dotted mesh near the rear-view mirror instead of going right over as I had expected.
Guess it was much easier this way for them.

Gotta get a better picture of it some time...

They can't tint straight over it as the tint doesn't stick to it. If they had tinted over it the tint would lift and bubble here after awhile.
Sorry to disagree with this theory but mine has been on there for almost 4 years in the Queensland sun. There is about a one cm overlap of film over the mesh. I just checked and there is no bubbling, lifting or separation.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If your car windows have been tinted, you will find that the tint has been placed over the same sort of black dots surrounding the rear quarter panel and the rear hatch windows...   :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal