i30 Owners Club

What is that black dotted mesh near the rear-view mirror in i30 ?

Offline PawelPabich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi,

I wondering if you guys know what that dotted mesh is? On one hand I'm simply curious but on the other hand I need to install an e-Tag and I'm wondering if that would a good spot for it.

Thanks

Pawel
  • i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just part of the window make up  i.e. cosmetic

Don't think it does anything like some form of solar panel
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Pawel
This is an anti glare mesh,some cars have them the width of the windscreen,but most are just behind the mirror,the theory is that it stops the glare when looking into the mirror,thats how it was explained to me,I asked the sme question some years go when I got my commodore it hase the same mesh but a little more of it.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

ouri30
It's also the only part of the windscreen not covered by the sun visors.  I'd like to see it across the full width of the screen.

Reminds me of the black contact I fitted across the top of my XY Falcon back in 1971.  Lasted for years.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Reminds me of the black contact I fitted across the top of my XY Falcon back in 1971.  Lasted for years.

Did you have yours and her names as well

ouri30

Did you have yours and her names as well

Oh no! God forbid!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It is to stop you from tucking your car video camera behind the mirror and right at the top of the windscreen so it is nicely out of sight.

Hyundai styling engineers have got a cruel and twisted sense of humour................... :twisted:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondering if you guys know what that dotted mesh is? On one hand I'm simply curious but on the other hand I need to install an e-Tag and I'm wondering if that would a good spot for it.

Thanks

Pawel

It's where to place a transponder for tolls  etc.   
 If the screen has a metallic anti-solar film or a heating element this is the only place that allows  radio signals to pass through.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Your all wrong, it's there so that you don't have to keep wearing that tin foil hat to protect you from the ray guns when the aliens land....    It's not well publicized for obvious reasons.  Don't want the little green men knowing we're onto them now do we  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Your all wrong, it's there so that you don't have to keep wearing that tin foil hat to protect you from the ray guns when the aliens land....    It's not well publicized for obvious reasons.  Don't want the little green men knowing we're onto them now do we  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thought it was to repel manc when I travel on the M60

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great thread.. I liked the way it meshed together  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was told NOT to put the e-tag directly behind it as it may interfere with the signal.
So it sits nicely just below it but completely hidden from my sight by the rear view mirrow.
Incidentally, the mesh makes a nice marker by which to line up the bottom of the tint film across the top of the screen.
And yes, I'm aware of the legal requirments.

But it is just a glare restrictor so you don't cop an eyefull when glancing in the mirror.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
It is to stop you from tucking your car video camera behind the mirror and right at the top of the windscreen so it is nicely out of sight.

Hyundai styling engineers have got a cruel and twisted sense of humour................... :twisted:
Thats exactly where my dash cam is up on that strip right next to the mirror
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario
It's also the only part of the windscreen not covered by the sun visors.  I'd like to see it across the full width of the screen.

I had my windows tinted, as well as a strip put across the top of the front windshield.
The installer went around the dotted mesh near the rear-view mirror instead of going right over as I had expected.
Guess it was much easier this way for them.

Gotta get a better picture of it some time...

• 2012 Touring

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11

Baradeur is correct

If the screen has a metallic anti-solar film or a heating element this is the only place that allows  radio signals to pass through.

This is the right answer. I know it seems counter-intuitive but it is where the etag should be put. It may work for a while on the seemingly clear screen but as the battery in it discharges it will stop being detected in the clear area first.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are you sure?  :undecided:
I'm not aware of the i30 having either of those types of windscreen and there doesn't appear to be anything about it in the owners manual....

Me thinks it's pretty much only there to hide the mirror mount and to also act as a sunshade.....  :whistler:

BTW, my eTag has been in the corner of the screen for over 2 years....

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
act as a sunshade
That'd be my bet.
I'll second that ... or maybe third. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

ouri30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
act as a sunshade
That'd be my bet.
I'll second that ... or maybe third. :confused:

I'll 3rd it - that's what I applied in post 4
As did Rick in post # 3 and me in post # 13.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Baradeur is correct

This is the right answer. I know it seems counter-intuitive but it is where the etag should be put. It may work for a while on the seemingly clear screen but as the battery in it discharges it will stop being detected in the clear area first.

Is there a battery in the E tag?   Some transponders react to a signal sent to them and have no battery.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

It's a great place to mount your camera with the lens just sticking out to the side of the mesh  :happydance:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm pretty sure Ford have a unique patent on that micro-wire electric screen heating mesh. May be wrong... If I were a gambler my money would be on the sunshade theory covering the gap between the drop down visors.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Did you know that Pelikan Brand Indian Ink No 4, conducts electricity.

Now there's a bit of useless information for you.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure Ford have a unique patent on that micro-wire electric screen heating mesh. May be wrong... If I were a gambler my money would be on the sunshade theory covering the gap between the drop down visors.

Renault have had metallic film (not mesh) windscreens for years as have  other makes.

The windscreen manufacturers incorporate the mesh section on all screens as standard even though it may only be up market models of a car that have the heated screen option.

This quote from a windscreen manufacturer confirms the use of the meash patch

Rudy Malobicky of PPG Industries (Pittsburgh Plate Glass), a leading windshield manufacturer, says his company has talked to several toll authorities and to car manufacturers to find ways of handling the problem. Their solution is to provide a metal-free area, maybe 3”x15” where the transponder can be placed. PPG and the technical staff of the Pennsylvania Turnpike have conducted tests following letters from leaders of the northeast Inter-Agency Group to the major car manufacturers.

or this rather dated

There are several kinds of windshield metalization:

(1) a heat blocking film tradenamed Sungate incorporated inside the glass laminate to increase passenger comfort and reduce the air conditioning load of GM’s class of large sedans the Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac Fleetwood — have no metal-free area, many still around but no longer in production

(2) an in-windshield metal film that is also the radio antenna for the new range of GM minivans, including Oldsmobile Silhouette, Pontiac Transport and Chevy Venture in N. Am and in the Opel Sintra and Vauxhall Sintra in Europe, all of which are in current production with the metalized windshield and all of which have a metal-free area along the top next to the roof, distinguishable if looked at from outside at a angle

(3) a metal heating film installed inside the windshields of Fords in the late 80s and early 1990s to combat icing, notably the Taurus, Sable, Crown Victoria, and Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Continental. Corvettes also used a coating for solar heat reduction but this is no longer being used. It is distinguishable by a goldish hue.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal