i30 Owners Club

Sneaky speed.cameras in Queensland.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I don't want to reignite the road safety vs revenue raising debate around fixed speed cameras, but with the recent announcement by the Queensland Police Service that there is now ZERO tolerance in relation to speeding, I think  this little devil (installed just outside of Cairns) is more about revenue than road safety.

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi UM.
Did I misunderstand the announcement. I heard the Police Commisioner saying that the tolerance had been reduced and I'm sure he was talking about 1 or 2 kph less only.

Tricky cam though.
Does it hav ethe normal warning signs?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Hi UM.
Did I misunderstand the announcement. I heard the Police Commisioner saying that the tolerance had been reduced and I'm sure he was talking about 1 or 2 kph less only.

Tricky cam though.
Does it hav ethe normal warning signs?

You're right, Trev, in some.respects. The Commissioner said that the tolerance level for speed cameras would be lowered but failed to tell what the new tolerance level would be. Mobile police can still use discretion.

BTW, I went on the Qld Police website to find the speed camera location and was referred to the Qld Transport website which then referred me back to the Qld Police site.  :Dunno:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's nasty, I'm glad there is a hump in the rail, so we know when to slow down.  :wacko:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What makes you think it is a speed camera? It doesn't appear to have the usual stuff, oh and it is very low and would be unable to capture the information needed for a stand alone camera.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sorry if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times,most speedo's read between 5 to 10% fast, so if you don't speed by your speepo, they won't get any revenue,simple as that.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
beerman makes a good point. At best it would only  be effective in the curbside lane.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Once the weeds grow it will be covered
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Chaff bg and two electrical ties will fix this type real quick,as a ladder and a chaff bag fixes the speed red light camera fast at midnight
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Looking again it just seems to be takung side view.

How does that work to get plate etc?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think you'll find it's a speed measuring device, not a camera.....  :whistler:
The camera will most likely be down the track a bit....

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The camera needs to be with the measuring device to obtain the evidence.

List of fixed speed cameras for Qld is here

Mobile ones are herehttp://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/roadSafety/Activespeedcamerasites.htm

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Nope, it's the full bit. I copied the pic using greenshot and viewed it larger. That yellow device in the groove before the black device is a flash gun, for sure. I suspect it only takes rear plates, due to interference from the flash.  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nope, it's the full bit. I copied the pic using greenshot and viewed it larger. That yellow device in the groove before the black device is a flash gun, for sure. I suspect it only takes rear plates, due to interference from the flash.  :whistler:

Given Queensland law requires 2 sets of warning signs before the speed camera and their is generally a fail-safe of road markings to defeat a malfunction defence, There would also need to be a kick arse box nearby to send digital images for processing. I would say it is not an active speed camera. That's not to say it is not one undergoing evaluation.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Watch this space, eh  beerman  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Given Queensland law requires 2 sets of warning signs before the speed camera and their is generally a fail-safe of road markings to defeat a malfunction defence, There would also need to be a kick arse box nearby to send digital images for processing. I would say it is not an active speed camera. That's not to say it is not one undergoing evaluation.
beerman, how long have these laws been in,we where up there for six weeks almost a couple of years ago,in all that time never seen any warning signs for speed camera's,other than the normal ones we have here saying that they use speed camera's in the state of Qld,(well ours say WA naturally) not sure what markings you talking about,but I seen a lot of weird road markings up there that I've never seen anywhere else  :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

beerman, how long have these laws been in,we where up there for six weeks almost a couple of years ago,in all that time never seen any warning signs for speed camera's,other than the normal ones we have here saying that they use speed camera's in the state of Qld,(well ours say WA naturally) not sure what markings you talking about,but I seen a lot of weird road markings up there that I've never seen anywhere else  :lol:
They are in place for every fixed speed camera. The rules get a bit vague about mobile ones mounted in vans parke don the side of the road or hand held radars. Pretty sure the most you get there is a little A frame sign after the event saying "Speed Camera in Use".
You can't miss the bank of lines painted on the road near fixed cameras.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Me thinks Terry just plucked that photo off the interweb..... :whistler:

What say you, Terry?  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think you'll find it's a speed measuring device, not a camera.....  :whistler:
The camera will most likely be down the track a bit....

http://www.cesag.com/pdf/lms_04_e.pdf  :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Switzerland. 

Musthavesomelenstogetyouwayoverinoz

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Well, at least I didn't reignite the revenue raising vs road safety debate. :-[ :head_butt:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I've never liked the style QLD use . i think having to keep looking at your speedo is as bad as these people looking at mobile phones. you need your eye on the road 100% no matter.
i was up north QLD & got booked by a sneaky speed camera no sign up & was a white 4WD before i got back to Sydney the infringement was in mail with a pic of me & gf on the bike. i thought from that day QLD transport are throwing a curved ball.
now we have those same random speed camera's but i've never been caught speeding in NSW or SA or VIC or Tas. thats not the way to get the people who are speeding at high speeds off the road. the cops have to issue the speed tickets face to face on the spot of its just a $ grab. the only camera's i agree with are red light as they stop red runners.
but just my personal view.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, at least I didn't reignite the revenue raising vs road safety debate. :-[ :head_butt:

Or front number plates.  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Or front number plates.  :mrgreen:

i don't care much about number plate issue will be funny seeing trailers with front & rear number plates.
what i think is they will make it so there is some positive way to identify who is in control of what ever it is they are booking. as the way it is now you could say it was your great great great grandma

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
a pic of me & gf on the bike.

Yeah, they charge a lot for their pictures considering they are not professional photographers  :fum:

I hold my breath for about 6 weeks after I get back from North Island road trips .. I was sure I would cop a least one fine after our 2012 Victoria Loop (2000+ kms) and or our 5000km 2011 road trip  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Why not stick to the limits and come home and sleep easy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why not stick to the limits and come home and sleep easy.

I try but it is so easy in unfamiliar territory to get caught out. The GPS doesn't always give the correct (current) limits so if you miss a sign you are easy pickings.

Also, because you are trying to follow the GPS directions it is easy to break a few other road rules on unfamiliar roads (which sometimes have different rules as well)

The 0% tolerance I have been told about in some States is scary too (we have a few kms up our sleeve in Tassie)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
One problem which is evident here is the state of our roads. In Adelaide, one such major road is South Road. It carries huge amounts of traffic daily and I avoid it like the plague. A few years a go on South Road, a mother and daughter were killed outright in a head on car accident, coming home from school, Fairlane (them) vs utility. According to the coroner, an investigation of the road was performed by various authorities and his recommendation of resurfacing and a lowering of the limit from 100 to 80 kmh was performed. The Ute driver survived and was able to say that there was nothing he could do, he was not speeding, comfirmed by trailing witnesses, it had recently rained. It was not the first accident on this stretch of road.

The point I want to make is that we may be frustrated by these speed restrictions, but we are so close to hidden catastrophe without even realising and full of confidence that we are driving safely. For me, I'm happy to stay withing the limits, no cameras / radars to worry about, and if it's quiet, I even travel under (if I see Rick coming, I do the limits, just for him). :D

I was stopped on our freeway for doing 90 in 110 zone. The policeman thought I was drunk and driving safely home. Got tested, 0.00 reading, told him I was just enjoying the ride home.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Phil, thats not easy in hill country as even setting cruise control, does not limit down hill speed up, & thats mostly where the camera's are set up.
but can all get public transport ( not where i am. :rofl: but i have experience at driving a horse & cart even a wagon with 6 Clydesdales  . my grandad taught me as a kid. slow way to get around though  :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal