i30 Owners Club

Peter Brock's Fall from grace.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In the V8 Supercars' Parity topic, Gonz makes mention of Peter Brock's energy polariser. Some Aussies may know what it is but the whole story makes interesting reading. Here reprinted from an article by Bill Tuckey. Bill himself is a legend in Australian motoring, being one of the most respected journalists in the industry since the 60's. Writing as himself he produced, among others, the book, "The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock" which is simply a great read. In his early days he also wrote under the pseudonym of Romsey Quints for "Wheels" magazine. His road test of a street sweeper still sticks in my mind to this day.
But he knew Peter Brock better than most and his analysis of the man and his talent (and his demons) is insightful.

Brock and Holden bust up
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Bill Tuckey.

Peter Brock's introduction to crystal healing marked his entry into car energy fields -- and his departure from Holden.

It began, as business failures often do, in a small way. In September 1984, Peter Brock told his friend, Holden executive Grant Steers, that a Victorian schoolteacher-turned-chiropractor who styled himself Dr Eric ("call me Ric") Dowker, had exorcised him of the spirit of a flag marshal killed during the Le Mans 24-Hour race.

An Aston Martin had exploded in flames on the 350kph Mulsanne Straight, killing the marshal and badly injuring driver John Sheldon. For almost an hour, the other cars, including Brock and Larry Perkins in their Bob Jane T-Marts Porsche 956, slowly lapped the black, smoking wreck.

About 2am, 10 hours into the race, a tired Perkins crashed. He was tearful and apologetic back in the pits. I was there when Brock - himself jumpy and stressed-out - tried to console him. When he got back to Australia his partner, Beverley Brock (they never married but she changed her surname by deed poll in 1980), persuaded a gaunt Brock to see Dowker, who had been treating her and Brock's parents, Geoff and Ruth.

Dowker worked what Brock thought was a miracle. His colleagues at HDT Special Vehicles put it down to Dowker getting Brock off smoking (about 30 Marlboros a day, free from one of his sponsors), and easing back his relentless consumption of tea and diet of junk food and mashed potato mixed with lashings of Vegemite.

The miracle cure was to have an all too down-to-earth effect on Brock's future.

The HDT business had started in 1979, not long after Brock's legendary six-lap Bathurst victory, when Holden advised the Holden Dealer Team's manager, John Sheppard, that it was pulling out of motor sport.

This was a time when drivers earned little. Brock went deep into hock to raise the money to buy out Sheppard. Holden stayed in the game with some covert help, and sponsors such as Philip Morris, Castrol and TAA came on board. An influential Adelaide Holden dealer, Vin Keane, came up with an idea to capitalise on Brock's enormous following - a modified "Brock Special" road car to be sold through dealers who contributed to the funding pool. Fifty-seven signed up and HDT Special Vehicles was formed with a working capital of $5000, a $2500 air compressor, some scrounged office gear and a debt of $50,000.

But it was a licence to print money. Keane gave Brock a light blue Commodore SL as the basis for the first performance car. The non-Holden components Brock needed, like special alloy wheels, body kits and premium tyres, would be financed by the dealers. When each car was finished, Brock would invoice for the value-added work. There was no financial risk for HDT and Holden continued its covert design and engineering work, as well as granting access to its Lang-Lang proving ground south-west of Melbourne.

According to his longtime colleague, John Harvey, in 1981 came the first two examples of Brock's impatience with GM bureaucracy that would eventually destroy the business. Both involved fitting parts without engineering department approval, which raised questions about a HDT car's conformity with Australian Design Rules as well as Holden's (and thus General Motors') warranty and insurance liability.

Dowker appeared on the scene in 1984, when Beverley sent a Brock secretary to Dowker to treat her headaches, back pain and sore throats. Dowker worked with crystals, explaining the right one would keep out "negative influences". Brock started wearing one and Beverley began swinging hers over meals. Guests at their home were told crystals were used to purify and heat the water in their swimming pool and spa.

In 1985, Harvey learned Brock was working on a "secret project" involving crystal pieces attached to the engine. No one worried too much, as Brock was always coming up with ideas. Dowker was becoming involved with the team, having "motivational" sessions with Brock and trying to influence the setting up of cars for different circuits. What Brock invented was a device he said used magnets and crystals to re-align and distribute energy - and vastly improve performance. Brock's and Holden's longtime publicist Tim Pemberton told Brock the cigarette package-sized device had to have a name, and suggested "Polarizer". He said later: "Brock shouted: 'You're f***ing right! Of course, that's what it is! That's it ... Polarizer, Polarizer!' "

The Energy Polarizer had to be fitted to the engine bay to the millimetre. It couldn't be moved from vehicle to vehicle, and six hours of driving time were needed for the best results. Brock sent one to the CSIRO for testing; it replied it didn't have the equipment. Holden started to get worried. Senior engineer Ray Borrett decided to cut up one and found four magnets wrapped in tinfoil embedded in epoxy resin. Finally, in answer to repeated demands as to what the Polarizer did, Brock issued a statement: "A high-technology energy device which creates a 'polarized' or 'ordered' molecular arrangement as distinct from the normal 'random' structure. This alters the behaviour and characteristics of material and components in the vehicle."

In March 1986, HDT Special Vehicles started advertising a Brock car with Energy Polarizer fitted. Holden was paying the HDT advertising bills through agency McCann-Erickson, and this one used the slogan: "Body by Holden, Soul by Brock" (also a Pemberton-ism). Now Holden had to act. Contrary to corporate policy, Brock had approached GM in Detroit looking for approval. He would claim the Polarizer had passed GM testing (it hadn't) and that the company was considering making it standard fit on the production line.

Holden was getting antsy. When Brock handed Pemberton a press release saying he was handing over day-to-day management of his HDT to executives to concentrate on developing the device, Pemberton said: "Look, Brock, if you want to play Gyro Gearloose, do it out at Eltham, not at Port Melbourne, because that will not hit the spot with GM-H."

In October 1986, Holden wrote to Brock and Dowker proposing a series of tests at Lang-Lang. Brock and Dowker agreed, but after four days of tests the results showed the Polarizer made no difference. Brock replied that the equipment to measure the beneficial effects of the device had yet to be invented.

He dug in his heels. Holden called in its solicitors to warn that Holden had an enforceable contract with HDT covering the building of its vehicles. Brock started removing his signature from the HDT steering wheels. In December, Holden issued a "letter of understanding" which banned fitment and promotion of the device on any Holdens. Brock and Dowker formed the Peri Integration System to act as design consultant to HDT, thus hoping to remove the controversy from HDT control.

But in February 1987, Holden advised Brock that it would not warrant HDT cars fitted with the Polarizer or other non-approved items, and HDT dealers would withdraw all financial support from the race team. In late February, Brock started sending out invitations to a black-tie dinner in Melbourne where he would be unveiling a totally new upmarket model - the Director.

It was the first Holden had heard of it, and it demanded details of specifications and design. The Director had no Australian Design Rules certification, no crash testing, no compliance plate - it couldn't be legally sold anywhere in the world. Brock refused to show Holden the car, instead threatening to take the matter to the federal government: "Some boys in Canberra would take a very dim view of a big American company trying to stop an Australian manufacturer having a go."

Holden told Brock that if he unveiled the Director at the dinner, their association was finished. Brock, who still insisted it was a Brock car, not a Holden, went ahead. At the launch he and Dowker pulled a United Nations flag - so much for the little Aussie battler - off the extravagantly styled car. Brock's part in the $10m a year business was over. The licence to print money had been snatched away.

Source : http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=143762
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't think I'd have ever rallied with him after reading that, he was a bit off centre IMO.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Trev, I had read a bit about the Polarizer controversy before, but not that much detail  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I still have Tuckey's "The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock" in my library. It was (and still is) a good read with a lot of detail about Brock's private life, and a mini-bio of John Harvey.

It was disgraceful how he handled the business and how he treated his employees. If the guy was more stable and didn't associate with certain people, HDT may well still be around today, rather than HSV/HRT. He may have won a few more Bathursts, perhaps even another touring car title.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But instead he started Austech and began modifying Fords.
Working his usual magic he managed to massage six cylinder EA Fords to the point of them being quicker than V8 VN Clubsports of the day (as tested by Wheels and Modern Motor).
He certainly knew his stuff when it came to gaining more performance from a car and making it handle properly.
I actually own Peter's original (and personal) EP3 Brock EA, build # 001 and also his one and only Brock ute (which he called "B'ute") that he built for the late Rob Shannon of Shannons Insurance fame.
I've been in contact with Bev Brock and she remembers the cars well.
I'm not a believer in the device personally, but of interest is the fact that any HDT Commodore that is fitted with a Polarizer is vastly more collectible and valuable than one that isn't.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... any HDT Commodore that is fitted with a Polarizer is vastly more collectible and valuable than one that isn't.
Just like a faulty postage stamp. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
... any HDT Commodore that is fitted with a Polarizer is vastly more collectible and valuable than one that isn't.
Geez Gonz. I read this topic last night and thought EXACTLY the same thing, :rofl: :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Geez Gonz. I read this topic last night and thought EXACTLY the same thing, :rofl: :rofl:
Great minds ...  :cool: :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That said, I still wish I had a Polarizer HDT in the shed.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That said, I still wish I had a Polarizer HDT in the shed.  ;)
It'd probably do funny things to your head. :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal