i30 Owners Club

Wat lights do the 2013 i30 have ?

i30RSA · 57 · 17318

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Hey, I have the 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8 Executive. I was wondering if the i30 has bi-xenon headlights or are they just pimped up halogens that were made to resemble bi-xenon ? Could anyone answer me on that ? From what ive seen on Mercedes the bi-xenon shines a bright blueish-white while the i30 has the normal yellow colour !

Are they bi-xenon or normal halogen ? Im in South Africa . . .
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Just ordinary glass bulbs or "globes" in my d 2008 FD 1.6 petrol Premium here in England.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here in DK it's normal bulbs.

You can order your new car with xenon at the friendly  price of 3350,- EUR extra
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The halogen lights as fitted to i30's seem to come in for a lot of criticism by many owners. Are you dissatisfied with you lights and if so, under what conditions. :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The halogen lights as fitted to i30's seem to come in for a lot of criticism by many owners. Are you dissatisfied with you lights and if so, under what conditions. :question:

Wow that's a loaded question for RSA! watch out  :Ouch:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

A rather obvious answer would be "when it's dark"............................ :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It would appear I need to expand my question, a little. Could it be when,

Foggy
Rain & wet roads
Driving in general, at night
Country roads, many beasties in RSA.  :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
many beasties in RSA.  :P

Don't talk about i30RSA like that  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
As we all seem to have differing equipment that comes as standard,My only suggestion is to take the five minutes it takes to take a headlight out and check,I personally have not heard of anyof the I30's coming standard with Bi-xenon,but many of the newer cars DO come with Xenon globes as standard,from what I have read of the difference between Bi xenon and xenon,there is little between preformance,but using these two type globes actually comes down to legallity of use. These are things you would have to find out locally.

I know over here that many of the Bi xenon and xenon globes and kits are non ADR compliant,so legally we are not supposed to use them but this doesn't stop PPL using them.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
From previous posts, I think that Hyundai uses South Africa as a test bed for items that may or may not find their way into production cars in the rest of the world.
These include mechanical parts, suspension items, seats, electronic equipment, radios, lights, etc.
Therefore many S.A. cars have been fitted with inferior products in the past that aren't up to the usual high standard of Hyundai cars in the remainder of the global market.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
From previous posts, I think that Hyundai uses South Africa as a test bed for items that may or may not find their way into production cars in the rest of the world.
These include mechanical parts, suspension items, seats, electronic equipment, radios, lights, etc.
Therefore many S.A. cars have been fitted with inferior products in the past that aren't up to the usual high standard of Hyundai cars in the remainder of the global market.

A perfectly reasonable conclusion by our resident P.I based upon his trawl of the evidence presented here. There is no beating about the bush - he comes straight to the point.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Looks like I am to re-adress my question. You guys know what bi-xenon headlights are right ? Its the lights that come standard on most upmarket cars ie. the Sonata, the Santa Fe and the Equus, its bright and shines a white blueish colour. Then you get normal halogen lights, they shine a yellowish colour ie. the i20 and the i10 etc. Those are called halogen lights as it has halogen bulbs filled with halogen gas and not bi-xenon filled with xenon gas.

I want to find out if my car has bi-xenon headlights or normal pimped up halogen lights that were made to resemble the look of bi-xenon. Im asking a valid question like any other member on this group and do not appreciate everyone making fun of me and because im from South Africa.

Its an easy answer ! Yes its bi xenon or no its halogen that were made to look like bi xenon headlights.

Oh and for an update, my car sounds like a diesel tractor in the mornings when I start it up cold. Apparently its the rocker assembly and the lifters that are faulty, ive had people from Korea tell me that, im waiting for replacement parts but yet again, ive been waiting for 2 months now for those replacement parts  :twisted:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would appreciate an answer to reply 7 RSA. :exclaim:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Bi-Xenons (yes we know what they are but we call them HIDs generally) use a screen to partially block the beam for low-beam mode. Do yours have a screen?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Tha answer again has been answered,yes WE know what Bi xenon lights are the question is DO YOU,take the five minutes it  takes to remove the light and YOU will have your answer,go back to your dealer for the answer,as it has already been stated different marketed cars have different options that come as standard,we can not definately say you have one or the other globes,we are not there.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
At last it seems as if were getting somewhere. Does my i30 have bi xenon  (HID lights) or normal halogen lights that were made to resemble bi-xenon lights ? I included a photo to give you guys some visual identification.

The top is my i30s headlights. I want to know if its bi xenon or halogen that were made to look like HID lights, the bottom photo is an i20s headlights which I definitely know are halogen.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Looks way too yellow for HID as I see it. HID start at blue/white and progress to purple. The yellow is more typical of a low spectrum end Halogen if at all. :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You could do what I did and go to the Hyundai website..... :whistler:

http://www.hyundai.co.za/passenger-vehicles/showroom/hatchback/i30/

Look under "Safety Features"

It says lights are Halogen.....  :winker:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You could do what I did and go to the Hyundai website..... :whistler:

http://www.hyundai.co.za/passenger-vehicles/showroom/hatchback/i30/

Look under "Safety Features"

It says lights are Halogen.....  :winker:
Aw, Rusty, you're such a thread killer. :P
(Nice job with the link :goodjob:)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
As you guys can see. The headlights of the Mercedes C Class (bi-xenon) at the top and those of my i30 at the bottom looks the same. Obviously the i30s headlights were made to look like the bi-xenon headlights of the Mercedes but what I want to know if the photo of the i30s lights are halogen or bi-xenon ?

Thats what ive been trying to find out the whole time . . . . .
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :head_butt:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Rustynuts - This is what it says on the website. ''The ultra white brightness of the lamp promotes superior vision, while the jewel-like design imparts high sophistication. The headlamp design has been thoughtfully considered into the front of the vehicle design and completes it's fluidic look''

I dont see that it mentions 'halogen lights' anywhere . . . 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 16:12:21 by i30RSA »
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hi i30RSA,

Our lights are halogen. They have a parabolic diffuser, as most new cars do. I think this is what you are seeings as in common with Mercedes.

The bi-xenon light is a brighter type of light and is only fitted as an extra.

As for the other replies, I agree that i30RSA asked a perfectly legitimate question and copped some pretty silly answers from people trying to outsmart each other.

Can we please keep replies on topic people and leave the SA comments to other threads?

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Whats red and costs $45000 or £38500 ?
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Your lights are halogen, simple as that. You are confusing the "projection lens" as denoting a bulb type. It has nothing to do with bulb type. Many cars use this method to project light to the road. HID lights are slightly delayed and take a little time to reach operating temperature, after all, there is an electric arc going on inside. Hid's output 4x the light as halogens. Surely, a doctor would be observant enough to notice these things.

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
So what you mean is that the projection lens or as I like to think of it 'the camera lens look' (the bi-xenon look) is just there for the aesthetic part and that inside the light casing it actually has a halogen bulb like a normal car. Geez, why didnt anyone just come out with that earlier on ? Thanx, and I always thought I had bi-xenons, as the sales consultant had told me the faitfull day I walked into that dealership.

As for the doctor part, I operate on people, not cars, I only see that as a mode of transport ! See now why im so irritated with the car having this problem, its sick and needs to be made better  :rofl:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
This is whats red and pretty expensive ! My brand new baby the all new A45 AMG :Shocked: Giving the i30 to the wife ! She probably wont be as iffy about the little quirks as I am ! Getting delivery on Friday ! How I will control a 265KW 2L Turbo 4Matic I will have to wait and see but gawd dang im looking forward to scaring the Ferraris and Porsches. It does 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, it's not there for aesthetics, it DOES project the light in the pattern on the road as determined by Hy. I'm not a fan of this method personally, but you have to buy what's on offer these days.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal