i30 Owners Club

I remember when...

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
From forgotten Brisbane, one of the coolest places on the interwebz, even if it is on facebook.

Bring back any memories?
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?' 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.' 'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.
Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6am every morning.
Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.
If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old lemonade bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom
1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers
15. A brick of icecream
16. Cut and wrap bread in the wax paper
17. Rainbow lunch wrap
18. When colour toilet roll first come out...pink, blue and primrose too
19. A bath heater, we never had hotwater systems
20. Pull the chain to flush the toilet.
If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient.
I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :'(  16
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
18½. :disapp:
Party lines were before my time. In fact, we didn't HAVE a phone until I was 16.
And we didn't have a bath water heater, but my grandmother did, which we used when we stayed with her. (That's the ½).

We had home made billycarts - mine had and ammo box for a seat and big metal push lawn mower wheels at the rear.
We used to race marbles down the gutter - but only half the street had curbing, the rest was a clay ditch, which made for great "off-road" marble racing.
I didn't have a paper run. I sold the Brisbane Telegraph in the Tugun pub after school each day.  "PAPER! Tele! City FINAL!"
The state exams at the end of Primary School (Grade 8) and Junior and Senior were printed in the paper so, I was the first in my neighbourhood to get the results of Grade 8. Unpacking the afternoon papers for my walk up to the pub.
Fruit, vegetabels and eggs were also delivered to our home. By a fruiterer.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes read this on FB the other week,I can actually ad to the list of 20,78 records,reel to reel tapes,8 tracks,milk,bread and vegies delivered and sold via horse and cart,what we called fast food was a once a month treat of fish and chips which I would take dad almost an hour to go to and from the shop,other than that the first fast food meal I ever had was a Yumbo,Fry's and a crappy thick shake,pretty sure I was almost 17 before I had that.

Kids today, everything is a throw away world and they have absolutely no appreciated of what they have,I still have in the bottom of my wardrobe,the very first set of Dress Boots (RM Williams,41 years ago)I could afford to buy,if it wasn't for my feet spreading width ways I could still wear them out today,mind you they would need to be resoled again.

Thanks for posting it again Keith,always a good read

and don't get me going about young shop staff these days,not sure what type of Math their teaching at school,but it's not the simple stuff,nearly every shop assistant(unless their older)do simple add and subtract without a calculator.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
.....Father returned from The War, entered the kitchen & the family dog bit him :neutral:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
14 :eek:

Our first TV was a Kreisler B&W with a big clunky rotary channel selector - 4 channels.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
14 :eek:

Our first TV was a Kreisler B&W with a big clunky rotary channel selector - 4 channels.
Think ours was an HMV. And a 60' aerial on our roof at Tugun.

There was only ONE channel and it came on at (IIRC) at 6 pm and went off again by 9 pm.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ironically I'm just converting a video from 1990 when my daughter's school made a trip to Carnarvon Gorge and they stopped off in Miles where there's a historical village and there's a shot of an old bath with a water heater beside it.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Does anyone else remember,Pubs not opening until 12 noon and last drinks being called a 6pm weekdays,12-2  then 4-6pm on Saturdays,no trading on Sundays, had to go to either the RSL or thelocal Football club if you wanted a drink on Sundays
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Does anyone else remember,Pubs not opening until 12 noon and last drinks being called a 6pm weekdays,12-2  then 4-6pm on Saturdays,no trading on Sundays, had to go to either the RSL or thelocal Football club if you wanted a drink on Sundays
Yep. Them's was the opening hours when I was selling my papers.
Except, there was hours for Sunday in the beer garden. At least in Qld. IIRC they were a bit more liberal in NSW at that time.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Well NSW  has always beena law unto itself,they say it's the centre of the universe,if not the centre,just to one side of centre  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Service station "rosters."
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

"Service" stations. :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

IIRC they still had them in Perth when I was there in 1998.  As my mother used to say, "Perth, 2 hours and 20 years behind Sydney".  She doesn't say it anymore as she is dead.

And I scored 11.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

IIRC they still had them in Perth when I was there in 1998.  As my mother used to say, "Perth, 2 hours and 20 years behind Sydney".  She doesn't say it anymore as she is dead.

And I scored 11.

I can't remember exactly when they were phased out but as far as I know, we have no remaining "full service" service stations within the metro left, although you do still get them when you get out a bit, like at Gidgegannup.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
We have two service stations in Cygnet, both are full service, only one is open on a Sunday (a rotating roster).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ah, the joys of living in Tasmainsville.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
And the pubs sell beer, and if you don't like beer, then what are you doing in a pub?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Looking for a nice bed red.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Looking for a nice bed red.

The two pubs that are left here (one burnt down) both have long term and short term accommodation too!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Goodness, they think of everything down there.
Accommodation for both long and short people.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
when I first moved to WA I could never get my head around weekend servo rosters,TF they don't have em now,didn't the blokes on roster know how to jack the prices as well.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Geeezusss, I must be old :D I remember
Kerosene fridges
Wood stoves
Washing done in a copper
Fresh milk delivered from a milk churn
Outdoor dunnys
Having out own poultry for eggs and meat
Growing our own veges and fruit
Listening to Blue Hills
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Kerosene fridges
Wood stoves
Washing done in a copper
Outdoor dunnys
Listening to Blue Hills

Geez, you must be older than you look! I only remember 3 or 4 of those!  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Goodness, they think of everything down there.
Accommodation for both long and short people.  :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And every bed has twice the number of pillows that they do on the mainland!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i remember in the mid 70s the old man would park his car [gt falcon] in the drive overnight with the keys still in it,the house and garage were never locked either.  :snigger:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Kerosene fridges
Wood stoves
Washing done in a copper
Outdoor dunnys
Listening to Blue Hills

Geez, you must be older than you look! I only remember 3 or 4 of those!  :eek:
Nah. He just grew up in North Queensland, eh?

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Cigar for surferdude. :P
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Kerosene fridges
Wood stoves
Washing done in a copper
Outdoor dunnys
Listening to Blue Hills
Nah not that old,there just some of the ones I have forgotten about,still to this day we have poultry for eggs,I'm getting to squeamish to kill em now,can't be stuffed growing the vegies any more,is actually cheaper these days to buy em,right up to 81 we had an outside Dunny,first house we owned with an inside Dunny was not until we came to WA and here is normally the backward state,also we still had milk dleiveries in churn I Kapunda right up until the end of 80,mind you the milko delivered in a Ute not the old milko cart,but I must admit Blue Hills even though sounding familiar I can't destinctly remember it,I know when we lived with Nan,she never had a TV at all,we all used to sit round and listen to a series read by radio actors every night then it was bed time at 7pm,even when Mum and Dad got their own house,while I was at school my bedtime was never any later than 8pm.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal