i30 Owners Club

another auto tranny problem thread (and other things)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Gday all 

Haven't posted here in a while but have been lurking from time to time.

Anyway the warranties just about up on the wife's car, it's got exactly 1 month to go, and right on cue the auto tranny starts playing up.

The symptoms it's got are, delayed gear selection when going from park/neutral to reverse or drive, erratic gear shifts when hot and flaring between changes when accelerating to overtake a car, if you pull out and put your foot down to overtake the tranny will drop from 4th back to third with a thud and sometimes second then will take forever to upshift and when it does it drops the gear it's in then takes 1 to 2 seconds to grab the next gear meanwhile the engine will flair anywhere up to 1500 rpm and on occasions has actually tagged the rev limiter. 

Also the lockup clutch in the converter has on a few occasions not locked up so you are cruising along at 100km/hr with light throttle and the engine is sitting on 3000-3200 rpm.

The cars only got 55 000km on it and the tranny oil is burnt, recommended service interval is 90 000km, and it hasn't done a hard days work in it's life, and no towbar fitted.

All these symptoms point me towards the valve body is either fingered or the spools are jamming, or the valve body has porosity from manufacture, but I doubt this last one because the symptoms would have surfaced earlier in the cars life.

So paid the dealer a visit this arvie, and it's booked in tomorrow morning, can't wait for the usual dealer response - "couldn't replicate the problem and no faults logged, so we reset all adaptives, just drive it and see how it goes" 

Gotta spoon feed these bastards

Other dramas the cars got are, play in the steering rack. Feels like there is to much backlash in the rack and pinion when you go over an uneven surface. Driveways etc. if they replace the rack again this will be its 4th one.

The headlight outers are breaking up (the way plastic goes brittle and chalky from UV light).

And the carpet has shrunk and doesn't fit the floor pan, it keeps pulling out from under the centre console and scuff plates under the doors

So all reported to the dealer and booked in for tomorrow morning. See how we go, buy I can't see us getting any joy from them without having to argue and fight for it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good luck with it all, Kom.... :goodjob:

Guess you can thank your lucky stars it decided to sh*t itself a month INSIDE the warranty....

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hey, Brett. Welcome back, mate. Sounds like Mrs K has been flogging the beast a bit :happydance:

I've had Lubricious back in to the dealers recently because her box was playing up. :faint: The poor girl has already had a box implant last October.

Her problem is intermittent clunking when selecting reverse (hot & cold starts on flat & inclines). The dealer found jack and couldn't get Lubricious to be naughty for them. The service manager suggested it might be "the way I drive" and that Lubricous' weight was going back onto the "park ball". ( I didn't know she had "balls"  :scared:)

I explained to him that I always use the handbrake when I stop the car and don't release it until I select reverse and asked how could Lubricious' weight end up on one of her "balls"? The final outcome is "owner to monitor" Pffff!!!
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :disapp: :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
kom those Tranny symtoms sound exactly how the tranny in my old Commodore was,just before it totally shat itself.
Hope you get it all sorted,hopefully they won't drag their heels.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Kom, I hope you let them know that you know more about trannys than they do.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

I don't know about the consumer Laws in OZ, but as you're this close to warranty expire date, I would make sure they get your claims in writing and make sure they confirm that they have read it, e.g a confirmed email.

This way you can allways prove that you have contacted them before warranty expire date, just in case.... :whistler:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Hi

I don't know about the consumer Laws in OZ, but as you're this close to warranty expire date, I would make sure they get your claims in writing and make sure they confirm that they have read it, e.g a confirmed email.

This way you can allways prove that you have contacted them before warranty expire date, just in case.... :whistler:

Good advice, Asterix.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi

Good advice, Asterix.

Yeah  :whsaid: (and use plenty of Asterix's to highlight the important bits)  :snigger:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's an auto trannie you might be able to use  :whistler:
(click to show/hide)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
just got the car back from the dealers and am pleased to report back with a pleasant outcome  :mrgreen:

trannsmission fault - sticky spools in the valve body (as suspected) complete new valve body on order, being repaired under warranty

headlight deterioration - 2 new lights ordered and being replaced under warranty

excessive play in the steering rack - they test drove the vehicle and reckon they couldn't replicate the problem, only really does it when going in and out of driveways, anyway its been recorded inside the warranty period so fingers crossed might be able to have a whinge about it again later on down the track

carpet problem - they agree it has shrunk and doesn't fit properly anymore, whole new carpet ordered and will be fitted under warranty

and also while it was in with them today they carried out the recall for the brake light switch,

so i am pretty happy with todays outcome

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- nice one :D

Did you happen to mention the ashtrays were full? :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Great Result,by the way How's Rolly Rolling haven't had any updates lately,or have I missed them.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Good result Kom, sounds like they are listening to their customers.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

carpet problem - they agree it has shrunk and doesn't fit properly anymore, whole new carpet ordered and will be fitted under warranty

Any indication what caused this?

Have you had/got a leak soaking them?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

Any indication what caused this?

Have you had/got a leak soaking them?

nothing leaking - heater core, a/c evaporator etc, and nothing has been spilt in there as far as I know, its just that the carpet never really did fit properly. it used to just pull out from under the console and scuff plates and I've been complaining to the dealer every time the car has ever gone in there for something since the car was new, but all they ever did was push the carpet back into place but over the years it has gotten worse and worse and worse and now it simply is to short/out of shape to push back into place, so dunno wether they are just sick of my complaining or they are admitting that the carpet is shite, either way its getting replaced.  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sounds like a dealership that's willing to listen.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

youngpr

My 2.0L Petrol Automatic 2011 i30 twice jumped back to 3rd gear (default) during motorway driving at 110 kph.  At 13,300 km the valve body was replaced.
After the valve body replacement, no motorway driving occurred for 1 month.  After 15km at 110kph, there was a “bang” and the transmission defaulted to 3rd gear.  It would not change up or down even if the selector was moved. The ambient temperature was 22 degrees Celsius.
I got off the motorway, stopped, turned off the engine for 10 seconds.  I checked the fluid level – it was correct and then continued.  The transmission shifted through the gears normally until a slight incline.  It again jumped out of 4th gear back into 3rd gear.  The transmission would however shift from 1 to 2 to 3.  The transmission warning light came on.  After 10 minutes it went off again.
I left the transmission in 3rd gear and continued another 110 km.  I stopped for 20 minutes.  The transmission would still not stay in 4th gear.
Next morning (28/7/2013) the transmission worked normally but the warning light was still on.  I drove 15 km stopped for 20 minutes.  The warning light did not come back on.  The transmission worked normally for 265 km on the trip home.  The ambient temperature was 18-20 degrees.

The dealership was very good.  They gave me a new Elantra whilst a replacement transmission was ordered and fitted.  At 15,000 km my new transmission is working perfectly.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

:wttc: youngpr.

Glad you got the problem sorted and that the dealer looked after you. Would you like to let us all know who the dealer was?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts:

Hope you like the site and keep in touch  :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi youngpr

:wttc:

Glad to hear the dealer sorted it out smoothly for you...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
^--- nice one :D

Did you happen to mention the ashtrays were full? :P

Now that would be a bad problem. I think the only option is to buy a new car when the ashtray gets full. Luckily the GD i30 doesn't have an ashtray as standard, so there's no more costly car replacements for that!  :happydance:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
Getting off topic but I have had one person smoke in  any of my cars in about 30 years. it was a fairly new For Laser turbo 4WD. He went to throw the but out of the window and it blew back in and burnt a hole in the rear seat!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Getting off topic but I have had one person smoke in  any of my cars in about 30 years. it was a fairly new For Laser turbo 4WD. He went to throw the but out of the window and it blew back in and burnt a hole in the rear seat!

A guy at work did that in a company vehicle  :Ouch:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Why doesn't it ever burn a hole in their left testicle?  :undecided:
I wish it would.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why doesn't it ever burn a hole in their left testicle?  :undecided:
I wish it would.

:rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal