i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth connection issue with iPhone 4S

pidim · 7 · 1692

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm not sure whether the problem is the iPhone 4S or AV system in my GD Elite i30.  iPhone shows connection bluetooth connection symbols that it is connected. However, when attempting to make a call or stream music, it won't do it.  I have noticed however, that the phone contacts do not show up and are all greyed out.

Thinking that there was a problem with my 4S, I tried a 3GS and iPhone 4.. both had no problems at all. I switched off 4S, did a reset on AV system.. but no luck. 

I then deleted all connections on the 4S and tried to reconnect and pair again from scratch... same problem.  Once again tried the old 3GS and 4 and worked flawlessly.  I have been using the 4S with this system for about 14 months since the car was new and have never had an issue.

Can anyone offer any help?  It's clear that the problem lies with the fact even though it connects, it doesn't seem a thorough connection since it kind of says connected until you try and make a call or stream music. 

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Further to this, I have taken a picture to show what it looks like. As you can see "Phonebook", "Speed Dials" etc are all greyed out and cannot be accessed with my 4S, yet top right hand corner clearly shows it's connected.  Cannot stream audio anymore either.. whole unit just freezes.  No problems with other iPhones.

Is it 4S or i30?

Offline tarletoj

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Burdell QLD
Hi Pidim,

I have the 4S and am able to connect without issues..ATM.

If it was me, IOT eliminate either the phone or the car I would try and connect the 4S to another i30. Either a friend with one or head down to the local dealer and see if they will let you test it out. :D

I will see if I can get to do that at my end and will advise.

PM Sent with a starting point
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 00:24:43 by tarletoj »

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thanks for your help and PM.  I have actually fixed this problem. I think it relates to the system not being able to handle if you have more than 1000 contacts in your iPhone. Maybe 999 is the max.  I was able to.  The contacts blew out when I added in my company's Microsoft exchange and pulled in all my biz contacts together with personal contacts. 

If found that if I untick "All contacts" and only use Recent and Favourites it's all OK now. It's actually quicker to search the iPhone for a rare 'other' contact than do the i30 search (takes too long).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Agoodjob: thanks for the update ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks for sharing, that may help other members, too.  :Agoodpost:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: pidim
I think it relates to the system not being able to handle if you have more than 1000 contacts in your iPhone. Maybe 999 is the max.

Confirmed.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=18059.msg194643#msg194643
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal