i30 Owners Club

FD Top Pocket GPS Dash Mod Phase 2

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've had the GPS working very nicely as a permamently connected yet fully reversible feature on my FD for quite some time now. I like how it sits below the windscreen line and is suspended from the pocket lid in such a way as to keep it only as high as necessary, whilst getting protection from the sun.

My next phase of improvement is to relocate the tiny PCB mounted 3-position slide switch. I'll be desoldering it from the PCB and replacing it with a very slim 3-line loom to a blank switch panel, where I can use a 3-position rotary knob or larger suitable slide switch.

The 3 positions are off, on and reset. I may even go with a modest toggle or rocker switch for off/on and pushbutton for the reset.

Any thoughts?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline psi_guy

• 2nd Gear
Gonz,

If it were me, I'd try to position the switch's cables so they were hidden - perhaps your GPS has speaker holes on the rear? Maybe you could drill a small hole on the back? Use thin ribbon cable, it won't take up much room, and will be easy to handle/deal with.

As for switch position, I'd put it in the blank plate near the ESP button. Looks good there, and if you get a black one, it won't be out of place. In my opinion, a rocker switch will look better. You could use a 3 position rocker to include on/off/reset, and forget about having to find a place for a second reset switch.

my 2 cents ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:38:24 by psi_guy »
  • Hyundai i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, we're thinking the same. There's the small space in the upper backshell edge where the slide switch meets the world via a tiny slide cover but the 3-strand ribbon will be so low profile it can come from anywhere and may as well be loomed with the power cable, which connects from below. I can Dremel a very neat hole next to that micro-USB socket.

Although it doesn't really matter, I might keep up my challenge and keep this latest change fully reversible by parallel soldering the switch contacts and still keep both the car and GPS unit 'mint'. I guess it's off to JayCar some time this weekend (or raid the shed for old bits).

---------------------

Actually, I almost got sidetracked underthinking it. What I really want is to change the behaviour of the switch electrically. I'm always turning it on when I start driving it and turning it off when I finish.

What I'll do by parallel wiring it is to introduce a different behaviour by having the car's accessory feed do the turning on and off. The remote switch won't exist except as an interface to accessory power. The trick will be to switch 5V USB power using 12V accessory power. I could just use a small 12V relay or rig up a simple solid state equivalent using basic logic, either TTL or Zener.

As for hiding cables, that's an old prototype shot. The unit's power cable skims the bottom of the tray unseen.

--------------------

As I Google relays, I'm reminded that the cheapest and most power efficient way to give a circuit 5V from 12V these days is through a USB car adapter at $5, ironically the same way I'm powering the GPS now, so the answer may lie in ganging the switch line to the power line, which is already accessory fed. The whole job might end up being an internal jumper between USB socket and power switch :lol:

--------------------

You all don't mind that I think aloud do you? I learned in a leadership course that that's what extroverts do. I think I'll ADD a switch to the unit, connecting the USB power pin to the switch power pin. This will give me an auto-off function when desired, which will preserve the unit's ability to function as originally built on its battery for short periods when removed from the car - best of both worlds!

Now I need a tiny switch to build into the shell. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:15:22 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal