i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 elite hatch fog light bulb

POR930 · 24 · 7754

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cannon Hill Brisbane Queensland 4170
Just got my wife's i30 back from 12 month service with almost 4000km (shopping car). Although capped, we were advised one of the fog light bulbs had apparently died and were asked if we wanted bulb replaced, after being advised warranty and capped servicing does not cover such things as bulbs. My first reaction was yes, do it...then on second thoughts asked how much.....$85.00 per light bulb fitted. Ummmm, as an A grade Ford Technician(read that as mechanic), I said no, I will do it. They advised me the actual genuine bulb cost $53.00 and was a tad difficult to replace.

I am on the hunt for a light bulb, apparently the part No is 1864935009L (given to my by the dealer to help locating the correct bulb) Must be a very special little sod for that price. The stingy part of me says don't bother, we don't get fog in Brisbane, the mechanic part says you have to do it....

Anyway, any suggestions where I can locate such a bulb locally if possible...at a 'reasonable' price?. Tried the net, but not very helpful. Plenty of them in the states quite cheap. The freight is the killer. Maybe Hong Kong next place to try?
  • 2012 i30 hatch

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Can you pop the old one out and compare with globes on ebay?  :undecided:

Welcome to our little forum, by the way...  :goodjob:  :drinks:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Bugger, I've got one to report gone this service as well, but not if I'm paying. Stupid price. I assume you've checked eBay etc, there are also LED replacements available, but you need to be careful as some are too big to go through the cut out hole in the lens. I think we've used the twice since owning the car. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The fog light bulbs on my car (2013 GD i30) are listed in the owners manual as 35 watt type H8L.

Are they not detailed in your owners manual?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Since you've only done 4000KM, and you don't have much fog in Brisbane, I would argue to the service center that the bulb was defective, and ask for a free replacement.   For how long have you had the fog lights on for those 4000KM? Less than an hour?
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Rustynutz
Thank you for the welcome. I don't think you simply "pop" the old one out to check its pedigree.  Tonight in the garage, I turned the lights on and found the recalcitrant light and as it looks like a bit of surgery to get to it, it may stay deceased. I thought I had left my mechanic days behind, though with current charges, glad I kept my tools....

PhilNo1

Yes, checked on the net. Just starting to get replies now, most say no, or what type of bulb is it. Just got one reply saying they have this bulb as the replacement for the OEM, but now I have to ask them how much and freight...from South Korea

AlanHo
Yeah mate, sorry...just lazy. Recently built a new house(ownerbuilder) so still a bit of chaos with finding things. One bedroom is all storage boxes, and my guess is the i30 stuff is in the bottem box. I plan to find the box where the car's books are this week end, well thats the plan anyway.

tla

The fog lights have never been used...Never knew it had them, only found the switch yesterday to see where they were. Its only been out in the night a few times to use the lights. The dealers rep said sorry, but if they were used or not, warranty does not cover "these" sorts of items. As we are retired, the car only gets used for my wife's volunteer work and to the shops.

Ummmmm, might talk to the service manager and ask what the anticipated life of the bulb is....Though saying this, in my previous life, I would say to the customer, " well sir, depends on bumpy roads, pot holes, or maybe you just got a dud light globe etc etc...So, i will not hold my breath for any action.

• 2012 i30 hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club Geoff. I can email you the GD manual if necessary. PM me 2moro if you want me to.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Our car is the FD model. I looked at the replacement, seems simple enough, so I'm going to put these in, provided the supplier confirms they'll fit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200852084216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Considering we'll hardly ever use them, they'll do.  :undecided:

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Dazzler,
Thanks mate, but I will eventually get to my boxes of goodies. No great hurry as no fog expected in the next several months or so.
Hi Phil No1
As long as they do not cost $85.00 to get fitted, you must be in front.

Well, guess what......

The mechanic in me got loose today and decided to look at the offending fog light. I got under the front(very tight) dropped the front right hand side under guard and looked at the fog light bulb holder and BEHOLD.....When the front park assist was fitted, the mechanics did not install the light cable, but left it curled around the lighting loom. I reconnected and every thing back working again...So much for the service inspection at the dealers...

See ya
  • 2012 i30 hatch

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I love a happy ending..... :goodjob:

Wasn't such a silly idea of mine to check the globe after all, hey?  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I too hopped under the car for a peek. Undid the plastic cover and reached in undid the plug and the light was out in 10 minutes. Confirmed the light compatibility and have ordered the led's mentioned in an earlier post. Supplied post free, 2 units for a whole $20.00. The 2 existing lights are 27w each, the led's 5 each, so less stress on the electricals as well. Win / Win for me.  :happydance:

$85.00, not likely.  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When you get them I'll pray for fog so you can try them out and give us a full report, Phil....  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Anything can happen where I live.  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I bought some wiper blades after your recommendation...  :D

Next on my shopping list might be fog light globes....

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Rustynutz,
I walk past her car in the garage several times a day. Since it returned from the doctor, the fog light has been niggling at me. Reading lots of posts about dodgy globes, I wondered if the same issue. And yes, your statement sort of challenged the mechanic in me to go look. At best I fix it, at worst, I can confirm the bulb type. win win. And yes Phil, i would never pay $85 to replace a light i would never? use.  :disapp:
These days, the free postage from overseas and very competitive pricing cause us all to challenge the dealers parts pricing. Even if , "not as good", usually the price reduction allows you to buy several.  :goodjob:
You know, you look on the net and see identical items os for much less than here in Aus. Even if the pricing was close, would mean less hassle in searching the net. With the i30 being a Korean built car, should be the ideal place to source bits from.
See ya
  • 2012 i30 hatch

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I would have pushed back on that. Firstly, you have only done 4000kms and how many of those were with fog lights on?  That's a ridiculous try on IMO.  I would have claimed that the bulb was faulty and also has a warranty of at least 12 months - especially if you buy one from a retail outlet.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Update to post #10,

LED Fog lights arrived today. 15 minutes later, they were both installed into Ruby and here are the results.

The stuffed bulb.

LED Bulb Fitted.

Bulb Running

Will update on performance next time the car is driven at night.

Total cost AU$20.00

Dealer cost to supply & fit as quoted above AU$85.00, it's a no brainer. :happydance:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:53:38 by Phil №❶ »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for the update, Phil!  :goodjob:

I'm looking forward to hearing how they perform...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I just checked now that it's dark. Just in the driveway and not able to look along the road, but impressive enough. Remember, they're not supposed to act as headlamps, so definitely good enough for us. We would only use them very occasionally where we live.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, Phil..... :goodjob:

The standard fog lights are next to useless anyhow so if these new globes are anywhere near the stock globe brightness, then they should be....umm, well, just as useless...  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
They are bright white, which highlights the yellow park lights, but I'm not interested in changing the parking lights. I just don't like burnt out globes and these led's should outlast the car.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So if I buy a pair they'll go nicely with my LED parking lights then...  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you have the white parkers, yes they will. :goodjob2:

They took a while to arrive, but the fault was here in customs. :fum:

BTW, there are 3 clips holding the plastic protector underneath the car, you only need to undo 2 of them as the cover is quite flexible and the clips are a PITA to get off. They have a Philips head, but don't unscrew, you have to turn the screwdriver and pull the thread as well. :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

IMPORTANT UPDATE About my Projection Lens LED Fog Light Bulbs

On the freeway last  night, I switched fogs on with parkers only, couldn't see a thing. It was as though they ween't on at all. There is no light projected onto the road, AT ALL.

From an oncoming vehicle, they are great, as they are actually quite intense and make good clearance lights. I think the projection lens is the most likely problem.

I guess you use them when,

(a) there is fog.
(b) in conjunction with your standard lights.

but I think the lights will simply light the fog up nicely, which is no help at all.

If you want led's I think the ones with leds mounted on the sides will utilize the fog reflectors much better, just remember to get them thin enough to get through the hole in the reflector.

These are not worth buying.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal