i30 Owners Club

Territory puts pedal to metal in need for speed

Guest · 23 · 3531

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Updated Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:09pm AEDT

The Northern Territory will return to life in the fast lane, starting with a trial of unlimited speeds on a section of the Stuart Highway.

Speed limits will be abolished on a 200 kilometre section of the highway between Alice Springs and Barrow Creek.

The Territory Government says reports show there have been no fatalities on this section of road directly related to speed for nearly a decade.

The ABC understands police will monitor the section of highway for incidences of dangerous driving during the trial, which will begin after the Christmas holiday period.

The then Labor government abolished open speeds in 2007 and introduced a maximum limit of 130km/h.

But the Country Liberals promised in last year's election campaign to consider reinstating open speeds on some Territory roads and highways.

Several groups, including the Automobile Association of the Northern Territory, have criticised the move.

After several reviews, Transport Minister Peter Styles said the Government had decided on a trial of open speeds because there has been no deaths directly linked to speed on the section of highway designated for the trial.

"There have been six deaths in a 10-year period, and those death were caused by alcohol, seatbelts or fatigue," he said.

Mr Styles says the change will not mean open slather for motorists, and police will still be clamping down on drink driving and the wearing of seatbelts.

"Police will also be targeting people who drive at a speed which is manifestly excessive to the conditions of the road, the time of day, the weather conditions or the condition of the motor vehicle," he said.

In 2009, Chief Minister Adam Giles was Opposition transport spokesman and called the imposition of speed limits as "politically motivated".

"As someone who lives in Alice Springs, I am fully aware of the tyranny of distance within the great Territory," he said at the time.

"I am aware of the long journey that we face and the effects of fatigue when driving these vast distances."

The Automobile Association of the Northern Territory (AANT) says the quality of roads roads is not up to scrapping the speed limit.

General manager Edon Bell says most of the Territory's highways do not meet a two-star safety rating out of five because they do not have barriers to separate oncoming traffic.

He says says high speed lead to more serious accidents.

The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons says more people will die as a result of the decision.

Doctor David Read is the Territory representative on the College's National Trauma Committee and says the current 130km/h speed limit is already too high.

"I do not believe that people understand that 130km/h is already a significant compromise," he said.

"To open it up to open speed limits just seems downright insane to people who are at the coalface dealing with the sick, the injured and the dead on a day-to-day basis."

Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scruby says the Territory government will have "blood on its hands" if it reintroduces unlimited speeds on highways.

He says if the Territory Government does not see sense, the Federal Government should step in.

"We are going to be calling on the Federal Government to step in and do what they did on euthanasia," he said.

"[Why] should the rest of Australia pay for this trauma?

"This Government will have blood on its hands.

"Mark my words, you are going to invite every hoon in Australia to come up there and test their cars on this road."

The Northern Territory Police Association says it does not support the decision because it appears to be ignoring the advice of experts.

Association president Vince Kelly says it is strange the Government is refusing to make public a report it commissioned into open speed limits.

The Mayor of Katherine says she supports a trial of open speeds on the Stuart Highway despite surviving a serious rollover in the area where the trial will take place next year.

Fay Miller broke her back after her car rolled on the same section of road seven years ago.

She says water on the road, and not speed, was the main reason for the accident.

"It is a long, straight stretch," she said.

"Quite frankly, you lose your concentration if you are driving so slowly."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-15/open-speed-limit-trial-alice-christmas/5022962

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ridiculous idea.  :disapp: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think 130 kph limit is high enough  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
No deaths on this stretch of road for ten years, just serious injury.  How ridiculous and irresponsible is this government.  If and when death and serious injury does occur, the government should be held responsible. 

In that there have been no deaths on this stretch of roads supports the current speed limits.  It does not support the argument for an increase.

I want to drive on this stretch of road one day.  I don't want other idiots driving legally at high speed and putting me in danger.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I reckon good on them for giving it a trial....and good on them for sticking to their election promise. :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :disapp: Rusty.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Why is that, Phil?  :undecided:

There was no speed limit out on the open road in the Territory up until 6 years ago....
After introducing speed limits the road toll spiked.
And more people have died on Northern Territory roads in the last 6 years (307) than in the six years before the change (292) so it would seem high speed limits aren't as bad as our Safetycrats would have us believe....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You seem to be at odds with road safety authorities worldwide. Are you saying that all speed reduction advertisement campaigns are a waste of money and don't contribute to road safety, I hope not.

- As far as this NT road is concerned, I drove it some years ago and IIRC it was not a particularly comfortable 110 kmh road let alone 130 kmh, or open limit.

- Remember, the authorities are going to monitor this road and according to their legislation speeding will be a discretionary call, depending on driving conditions. Discretionary by whom :question: This is an ambiguous situation at best and I wouldn't want to get into a bun fight over whether a driving offence has been committed based on someone else's judgement.

Then there is the increased possibility of mechanical failure, driver inattention, blowouts, stock and pedestrians all of which will be even more destructive to occupants at high speeds.

You have always promoted safe driving and it surprises me, that you think this is a good idea. :Dunno:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You seem to have read a lot out of those few lines, Phil... :undecided:
I've just pointed out the facts...

As for the speed advertisement campaigns, of course some help, but there are also some that mislead...

Btw, it's been proven that most drivers will drive at a speed they feel safe at, regardless of the posted limit so having an open limit doesn't mean all drivers will simply floor it and drive flat out.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
In that there have been no deaths on this stretch of roads supports the current speed limits.  It does not support the argument for an increase.

How so, Bob?
Much of that 10 years covers the time when there was no speed limit....   :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And a bit of a heads up, the only reason the open speed limit was given the flick in the first place was because it was a condition for federal funding....in other words, bring in speed limits or you get no funding....  :fum:

ouri30

How so, Bob?
Much of that 10 years covers the time when there was no speed limit....   :undecided:

In that it is logical to deduce that any accident at greater speed is going to increase the number of serious injuries and deaths when an accident occurs.  To deduce other than this is a nonsense. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And a bit of a heads up, the only reason the open speed limit was given the flick in the first place was because it was a condition for federal funding....in other words, bring in speed limits or you get no funding....  :fum:

Which Federal Government was that, Rusty  :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It would have been little Johnny Howard back in 2006, Phil...  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Nicely steered.  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

How so, Bob?

In that it is logical to deduce that any accident at greater speed is going to increase the number of serious injuries and deaths when an accident occurs.  To deduce other than this is a nonsense.

I must be a bit thick today, how does your answer explain that no deaths in the last 10 years somehow supports current speed limits given that over much of that period there was no speed limit?  :undecided:

ouri30

How so, Bob?

I must be a bit thick today, how does your answer explain that no deaths in the last 10 years somehow supports current speed limits given that over much of that period there was no speed limit?  :undecided:

Doesn't matter ifthere have been no deaths.  There have been serious accidents.  One is mentioned in the article.  It's stated that water on road was the cause.  This stretch of the road is no where near the best road in this country and only some stretches would be safe at speed.  Opening up speed limit only gives drivers the legal excuse to drive at speed regardless of the road and weather conditions. 

There have been no deaths on the road past my house, but that doesn't mean it is desirable to remove or increase speed limits.  Having open speed limits anywhere in a country where vehicles do not all meet safety standards and driver skills are not all of a high standard is not safe. 

The fatigue argument is often used, but in the NT fatigue will be an issue regardless of speed travelled because the time behind the wheel will often exceed safe driving periods without a break as distances are immense.  It will be even more of a safety issue with open speed limits and fatigued drivers.  The sensible answer is more frequent breaks for rest, not increased driving speeds.

There will always be different opinion regarding speed limits, but the authorities that are responsible need to err on the side of caution taking into account the lowest safe speed for drivers, for vehicles on the road and for road conditions when setting regulations.  The NT experiment in this case is crazy.  As I stated, will the NT govt be held accountable for any accidents, injuries and deaths as a result of there decision?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Doesn't matter ifthere have been no deaths.  There have been serious accidents.  One is mentioned in the article.  It's stated that water on road was the cause.  This stretch of the road is no where near the best road in this country and only some stretches would be safe at speed.  Opening up speed limit only gives drivers the legal excuse to drive at speed regardless of the road and weather conditions.

At what speeds did these accidents happen? 
As for having a legal excuse to speed regardless of road and weather conditions? That is also the case whatever the speed limit, there will always be times when it's not safe to do the speed limit.

The fatigue argument is often used, but in the NT fatigue will be an issue regardless of speed travelled because the time behind the wheel will often exceed safe driving periods without a break as distances are immense.  It will be even more of a safety issue with open speed limits and fatigued drivers.  The sensible answer is more frequent breaks for rest, not increased driving speeds.

So how is prolonging travel time gonna help? Taking extra breaks consumes time so if you're trying to make your destination before dark, travelling slower is gonna probably mean driving in the dark, something I'm sure none of us would be wanting to do if at all possible.

There will always be different opinion regarding speed limits, but the authorities that are responsible need to err on the side of caution taking into account the lowest safe speed for drivers, for vehicles on the road and for road conditions when setting regulations.  The NT experiment in this case is crazy.  As I stated, will the NT govt be held accountable for any accidents, injuries and deaths as a result of there decision?

No one is forcing any driver to drive above their own limits and those of their car.....drivers will be free to drive at their own pace!

It's not as if this trial is anything major, it's only going back to what was perfectly legal some 6 years back and as I pointed out in the original post, the road toll actually went up when the lower speed limits were introduced.

ouri30
Rusty,

You and I will never agree on open v closed speed limits.

Bob

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You seem to be at odds with road safety authorities worldwide. Are you saying that all speed reduction advertisement campaigns are a waste of money and don't contribute to road safety, I hope not.

These would seem to disprove some of the speed reduction campaigns...   :undecided:

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

http://azdailysun.com/forget-what-you-ve-heard-speed-doesn-t-kill/article_1939a8a6-4234-500a-8bae-dbacdb764612.html

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Great idea,all the dropkicks will head to NT,hopefully most of em won't come back,wondered how Australia was going to get the Dickheads off the roads,NT has just solved the problem  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Why is that, Phil?  :undecided:

There was no speed limit out on the open road in the Territory up until 6 years ago....
After introducing speed limits the road toll spiked.
And more people have died on Northern Territory roads in the last 6 years (307) than in the six years before the change (292) so it would seem high speed limits aren't as bad as our Safetycrats would have us believe....

That's not the full story, RN.

Australia's Northern Territory had no blanket speed limits outside major towns until January 2007 when a general rural speed limit of 110 km/h (68 mph) was introduced; four major highway have higher 130 km/h (81 mph) zones.[59] The per-capita fatality rate in 2006 was the highest in the OECD and twice the Australian average.[60] In 2009, the opposition party unsuccessfully sought the removal of the 130 km/h limits on three out of the four highways where it applied, arguing that total fatalities in the Northern Territory had increased significantly during the first two years of the speed limit. In argument against the motion, the government provided more detailed statistics than normally published, these statistics showed a reduction in fatalities along the highways where 130 km/h limits were introduced.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal