You've Got To Be "F"ing Joking!

Guest · 21 · 3258

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Bikers asked to give police notice of rides

November 1, 2013

Queensland Police want recreational motorcycle riders to give them a call before heading out on the roads, to avoid law-abiding citizens being “harassed” by police.

The proposal was discussed at a private meeting between Queensland Police Minister Jack Dempsey, senior police and rider groups including the Australian Motorcycle Council, which represents recreational riders and outlaw motorcycle clubs.

Authorities and the council spent more than an hour thrashing out issues surrounding the government's tough new bikie laws at Parliament House on Thursday.

Recreational bikers have been asked to register rides with police.

Outlaw clubs – such as the Hells Angels and the Bandidos – were not invited.

On Friday, Opposition police spokesman Bill Byrne received 10,000 signatures on a petition from casual motorcyclists complaining about harassment by police cracking down on outlaw motorcycle cycle gangs.

AMC spokeswoman Eva Cripps said there had been a “huge escalation” of recreational riders being pulled over and unnecessarily searched by police in the last three weeks.

“Police say they know who the [outlaw club] members are, yet they find it difficult to identify them because they don't wear their colours any more. The only option is to pull over all riders,” she said.

Ms Cripps said the council was fundamentally against the idea of riders needing to inform police before heading out in groups, but said fed-up clubs were likely to support the scheme.

“The clubs will let the police know what they're doing to stop the harassment... We're quite concerned about the fact that people riding a legal form of transport have to report into police to stop themselves being harassed,” she said.

Mr Dempsey said the meeting between authorities and the AMC was productive.

He said the finer points of the notification scheme were yet to be worked out, but flagged the possibility of clubs being able to use the internet to register rides with police.

“I think there is going to be a greater interaction and greater understanding of legal motorcycle groups and associate clubs in the future,” Mr Dempsey said.

“These aren't the people that we are targeting. We are targeting the criminal gangs and thugs, and we make no apologies. We're going hard, we're going fast, and we're going to go further than ever before in relation to getting rid of these parasites on the streets of Queensland.”

Deputy Queensland Police Commissioner Brett Pointing, the head of the state-wide Operation Resolve, said most officers had a “limited knowledge” of legitimate motorcycle groups.

“One of the strategies gang members have used is to de-identify themselves straight away and that's meant we've had to undertake many interceptions throughout Queensland,” he said.

– additional reporting by Nick Wiggins, 4BC

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/bikers-asked-to-give-police-notice-of-rides-20131031-2wm1l.html

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :head_butt: unless OMC completely changes their total look,style of bikes,they are unmistakable even without their colours,I happened to come across four groups of bikers today on my travels(while at work and on my way home) three of the said groups where obviously recreational riders and one was most certainly of the OMC class,are the police in Queensland THAT stupid,one of those groups I seen today was in my home town and I lost count at 200 bikes,but I would say there were less than 400,these groups are great for the economy of smaller towns when they have their rides.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So how many constitutes a club ride?

2?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Also, i can see this extending to car club meets if the police get their way
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'm f""king joking too

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Looks like the airbags have gone off.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This sort of thing is really total bullsh*t....Can you imagine the uproar if they started to harass car drivers like this?

Motorcyclists have as much right to travel on our roads as anyone else and to have to notify police if you and few mates decide to go for a ride is outrageous!

So much for living in a free Country!  :mad:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
QLDPOL have lost the plot..they always were a little different up there. :lol: :snigger:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I'm f""king joking too

Poor kid, ring the NSPCC or the RSPCA anyone :disapp:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
QLDPOL have lost the plot..they always were a little different up there. :lol: :snigger:

Good to see I'm not the only one thinking that, Lester... :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Just to prove it's true.....  :eek:

:link:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Qld police are trying to do the right thing, the wrong way. :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
What's wrong with all QL bikers having to log a ride path?
I think they should.
After all one of them might commit a crime...  :snigger:
We know car drivers, cyclists and pedestrians don't do that sort of thing now don't we...

Queensland... Laughing stock of Australia!  :rofl:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Just to prove it's true.....  :eek:

Must admit it,it's funny the blokes side of the story saying he did a runner,had a giggle at that,but the whole situation was just ridiculous,next they'll be issuing lethal force authority for coughing up a gooby  :disapp:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Good to see I'm not the only one thinking that, Lester... :goodjob:

Be careful, Rusty, this thread might get locked if you keep up this rubbish.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
New bikie laws target law-abiding citizens as well as criminals
MALCOLM FARR
news.com.au
November 01, 2013

NEWLY graduated law student Eva Cripps remembers being stopped by police and subjected to what she clearly classifies as harassment.
Ms Cripps rides a Honda CBR 600 SuperSports, which looks nothing like the big clunky machines that outlaw bikies favour.

But she was pulled over by police and put through what she remembers as a bout of "contempt and disrespect" simply because she was on a bike. She says, "It was quite intimidating."

She had not broken any law.

That incident was in Hobart. Ms Cripps, an executive member of the Australian Motorcycle Council representing recreational riders, has told police and politicians that worse is happening in Queensland.

She and other recreational biker groups went to Brisbane for talks yesterday which she hoped opened the eyes of Police Minister Jack Dempsey and Deputy Police Commissioner Brett Pointing.

There was one breakthrough. The police confirmed that new Queensland laws to combat criminal bikie gangs had led to harassment of innocent recreational bikers.

Riders were pulled over not for traffic offences, but because police had to check in case the criminal bikies had doffed their distinctive colours and switched bikes to carry out their vile business.

This admission of a problem which previously had been denied or ignored showed how loopy things have become in Queensland: Police can stop people and search and interrogate them simply on the basis of their choice in transport.

The government of Premier Campbell Newman is grandstanding on promises to end bikie gang crime and won't accept criticism coming from lawyers, the judiciary, the Human Rights Commission, and now ordinary "civilian" riders, as to the harm this is causing others.

Ms Cripps attended the meeting with representatives of Ulysses Club (minimum membership age 40), and the military based Patriots (Aim: "to make ALL motorcycle loving service personnel welcome in their new posting, assist & guide them in their welfare, administration & social needs, including family members" ).

None of them is a proscribed group; all fear the precedent for harassment being set in Queensland might spread to other states.

These and others, such as the HOGs - the Harley Owners' Group - can tell of unwarranted police attention including threats of fines for invented bike mechanical defects unless information on criminals - which riders didn't have - was not forthcoming.

The best Commissioner Pointing could offer was a suggestion that when clubs went on a run they told police first. It was an admission that otherwise there could be stop-and-search without genuine cause.

"We're looking at a strategy where you can register your rides," he said.

At least one group thought that would be acceptable.

"As long as it means that down the track we're not going to have to register every time we get our bikes out of our garages," Garry Luxmoore from the Gasoline Alley Harley Owners Group was reported as saying.

Eva Cripps did not agree.

"The motorcycle is a legal form of transport and it's unacceptable that people would have to ring the police to tell them they are going for a ride," she told news.com.au.

But in Queensland this intrusion into basic rights is framed as a concession by police. That's how serious matters have become.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Getting bored of "bikie law" posts  :wait:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Getting bored of "bikie law" posts  :wait:

If you're bored by them, Steve, don't read them. Same as I do with a lot of threads on the forum. If they don't interest me, I don't read them and as a courtesy to those who may be interested in them, I never comment on how boring they are.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal