i30 Owners Club

Two more motorcyclists dead in Tassie Crash (with a twist)

Dazzler · 17 · 3999

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
According to police on the TV two guys on an unroadworthy, unregistered, uninsured bike without a working headlight (they were using a torch held in the riders mouth!) and they weren't wearing helmets! Apart from that they were observing the law!

Motorbike rider, passenger killed in Tas | News.com.au

Plus another two in NSW.. :disapp:

Two motorcyclists die on Sydney roads overnight
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
According to police on the TV two guys on an unroadworthy, unregistered, uninsured bike without a working headlight (they were using a torch held in the riders mouth!) and they weren't wearing helmets! Apart from that they were observing the law!

What's the bet it was a dirt bike.....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What's the bet it was a dirt bike.....  :undecided:

Almost looked like a home made one from the TV footage :Shocked:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :goodjob: Haven't had a chance to watch the news, too busy watching the poms getting a hiding in the cricket...  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Rusty is not going to like this,BUT

when the hell are riders going to start valuing their own lives and yes sometimes the lives of others,Like Rusty said himself"Bet You It Was a Dirt Bike" I have lost count of the amount of Dirt Bikes,Quads,Trikes and even road bikes I have seen on public roads over here,the riders of all ages,no helmets,bikes just at looking at them both or either not roadworthy nor licensed and these Pratt's are on public roads doing up to 100 kph and when they are either hit or get badly injured,who do they blame,Not themselves that's for sure.

Then there are the supposedly responsible road riders,who in fact have roadworthy,licensed bikes and who also wear protective gear and helmets,but that is where they're common sense ends.

I had on three occasions,just yesterday,come across what I thought was highly irresponsible behaviour,Luckily I actually seen one of the riders,just before I pulled out in front of him,picture it,I was travelling on a country road,road was very shaded and shadowed,I was doing 101kph by my GPS on cruise,came upon a tourist doing roughly 80 kph,I was in a position to overtake safely at the speed I was doing,first I checked my mirrors didn't notice anything,but had a strange unsafe feeling,sure enough the second I put my indicator on to pass, this dope blasted past me at WELL over the speed limit as he disappeared into the distance within seconds,he was on a black bike,black protective gear,black helmet and no headlight on,he was one of three I seen just yesterday.

I'm all for blokes going out and clearing their heads,by going for a blat on your bike,but lets think people,be seen and keep your head,use a helmet and keep your head.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those riders who go out,blatantly break the laws and get killed,but I do feel for their families,I can safely say this because many many moons ago I used to be one of those stupid unthinking of the consequences riders,I just thank my lucky stars I'm still here to enjoy myself and the very occasional ride.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
he was on a black bike,black protective gear,black helmet and no headlight on,he was one of three I seen just yesterday.

Nothing illegal about that..... :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm sure there are just as many dickheads out there in cars as there are on bikes but for some reason people seem to mostly remember the bikes....  :(

I guess we all just need to be extra careful and make allowances for these idiots.....

Oh, and that rider was probably muttering to himself about the dickhead in the i30 that nearly pulled out in front of him...  :lol:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
he was on a black bike,black protective gear,black helmet and no headlight on,he was one of three I seen just yesterday.

Nothing illegal about that..... :)
Your absolutely right  :goodjob2: but in the situation I explained it made him extremely hard to spot,the only reason I seen him at the very last second,was I just had a gut feeling things weren't right
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I understand what you're saying Rick....but other than speeding it sounds like he wasn't doing too much wrong.

That's the trouble with people riding or driving with lights on during the day. It tends to make others less observant of vehicles that don't happen to have them on...especially for those that don't bother with a head check and just rely on their mirrors....   :undecided:

Not that I'm saying that is what happened with you....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I understand what you're saying Rick....but other than speeding it sounds like he wasn't doing too much wrong.

That's the trouble with people riding or driving with lights on during the day. It tends to make others less observant of vehicles that don't happen to have them on...especially for those that don't bother with a head check and just rely on their mirrors....   :undecided:

Not that I'm saying that is what happened with you....

And it makes them far more visible to those you speak of, the less observant ones,how many people actually miss seeing a police bike,they stick out like the preverbial DOG BALLS,white bikes,Lime Green Hi-Vis Jackets,huge bubble head white helmets,lights on,just making the point it is not only the vehicle drivers responsible for the safety of bike riders,they also have to take some of the responsibility,like I say I had the midnight black M/cycle,Matt Black Helmet,with black tinted visor and full set of black leathers(or in winter,Black drizza bone wet weather gear)only thing I did different to the blokes these days is drove with Lights on,only reason(except for ONE) for me being invovled in an accident with a car was my own stupidity,today I can admit it and see the merits for my suggestions,but back then was a different story.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
especially for those that don't bother with a head check and just rely on their mirrors....   :undecided:

:Pout: :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And it makes them far more visible to those you speak of, the less observant ones,how many people actually miss seeing a police bike,they stick out like the preverbial DOG BALLS,white bikes,Lime Green Hi-Vis Jackets,huge bubble head white helmets,lights on

And yet most people have no trouble spotting your Hell's Angel type of riders....go figure... :lol:

Many drivers still pull out in front of a motorcycle even when it is lit up like a Xmas tree... :(
And I bet car drivers pull out in front of you when you're driving your truck, Rick....  :whistler:

You can have all these bright coloured vehicles and lights but they make bugger all difference to the drivers that don't actually look....  :undecided:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
On Friday night 2 riders were killed on the one bike on the Tullamarine Freeway in Melb.  I didn't hear of any car involvement, but it's possible, but it could have just been excessive speed (and grog?). 

I rely (partly) on car drivers hearing my bike.  Maybe that is one reason drivers don't fail to see the outlaws - they can probably hear them coming.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Rick, good post and it's always worth telling these tales to remind us from time to time to be careful.
I know there are lots of idiot car drivers out there - of course there are a lot more  car drivers than bike riders so they are always going to be seen more and we have all seen them. But as I understand it, your point is concerning bike riders specifically.
I agree with you. When I ride a bike (not so much these days), I'm always aware of the fact that I don't have the luxury of a ton of steel, plus several airbags and a seat belt around me. I'm also aware that I present a MUCH smaller image in a car's mirrors so I like to think I ride accordingly.
Sure it looks cool(?) to dress all in black on a bike. But it's dumb.
Any rider should be aware of their vulnerability and dress and ride accordingly.
Just as car drivers should be aware of their vulnerability where trucks are concerned and drive accordingly - but that's another story.

And to top it all off the guy in your example was speeding.

There's been several single bike fatalities up around this way in the past few months which can't be attributed to the involvement of cars.

Just to be clear, I'm not out to suggest car drivers are innocent, just that I agree with your comments that some bike riders are their own worst enemies.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Things aren't always black & white when it comes to conspicuity....

When you're riding with a setting sun behind you, having a headlight blazing away will just about make you invisible to oncoming vehicles. In these circumstances dark vehicles will tend to show up more.
There is also the fact that during the day headlights aren't particularly visible when you're not directly in front.

Australian Design Rule 19/01 was introduced in 1992 requiring all new motorcycles to be fitted with automatic ‘headlights on’.
Approximately 5 years later that ADR was repealed after research was not able to establish that there was actually a benefit....  :snigger:

Some interesting stuff on Hi Vis...

Why cycling in high-vis may be not as safe as you think | Peter Walker |

How the world turned Day-Glo | Art and design | The Guardian

http://www.magireland.org/forms/GettheFactsRSAHi-VisProposals.pdf

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal