i30 Owners Club

Hi - new guy here!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm paying cash for my new car, it didn't seem to make much difference in this case though.  I am, however, a first time Hyundai buyer.

It probably helps to keep things in perspective, though.  I ordered the car on December 18, and will take delivery in January 30, just over 6 weeks later.  The car was on the boat when I bought it, and there would have been shutdowns due to Christmas.
Very true,Christmas puts a damper on most deliveries
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Rick-without the P
Very true,Christmas puts a hamper on most deliveries

Corrected your typo, Rick :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Zoom

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dandenong, Melbourne
I'm paying cash for my new car, it didn't seem to make much difference in this case though.  I am, however, a first time Hyundai buyer.

It probably helps to keep things in perspective, though.  I ordered the car on December 18, and will take delivery in January 30, just over 6 weeks later.  The car was on the boat when I bought it, and there would have been shutdowns due to Christmas.
Very true,Christmas puts a damper on most deliveries

I did the paperwork for my car the week leading up to chrissy.  When I was told my car would arrive christmas eve to my door step, I put it out of my mind, saying it was impossible.  I generally do that though to avoid disappointment, as I think we all do.  I was on a high when it turned up christmas eve.,,,so rare for this kind of thing to happen. :happydance:
  • 2012 I30 Premium

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
It's here!!!

I took delivery this afternoon, and it was well presented and very nice to drive.  It had 34km on the odo when I picked it up, on a lovely 39 degrees celcius day here today.

On the 14km drive home it averaged 5.5l/100km.

We're off to a good start!  More to follow when I've driven it a bit more.
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :goodjob2: :goodjob: :judges:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
OK, just got back from a 30km drive to enjoy the new car with my wife and 2 kids.

First, I'm very happy with the quietness and general comfort.  It's not opulent or luxurious, but quite comfortable.  It's also betterd featured than I expected.  I didn't expect daytime running lights, foglights or reversing sensors.  The stereo is good and there is plenty of space.

Performance-wise it feels adequate (I said goodbye to my 2011 WRX today), certainly not underpowered.  The clutch is super light and gearshift slick.

Plenty of room in the boot (it's a wagon, but still reasonably compact overall in my garage).

Average fuel consumption now showing 5.2 l/100km.  Tomorrow I'll drive into the office and back, a 40km round trip on a mix of freeway, suburban arterial and city.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Coming from a WRX is a big adjustment to make, high performance petrol to sturdy Diesel, but I'm sure when you encounter some hills, or have the car fully laden, or both, the Diesel will show it's true colours and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Remember it takes 10+ K's to free up the motor, too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the prompt feedback. I always love to hear positives from someone who has come from something more highly rated. :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the prompt feedback. I always love to hear positives from someone who has come from something more highly rated. :happydance:

No worries at all, so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

I have the towbar fitted and will try towing in the next few weeks.  I tend to drive quite gently when towing, to ensure I have plenty in reserve in case of the unexpected.

I have to say I'm surprised at the fuel consumption so far, especially since I've had the aircon cranking the whole time.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

Nice to hear the positive feedback.. :goodjob2:

Regarding the towing. How big a trailer/van are you going to tow..?  I'm sure the manual states not to tow for the first 2000 km.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
My towing will be quite modest, it will be a 7x4 single axle box trailer.  The total weight would be around 700kg, and it would only be occasionally, mainly collecting garden supplies or removing green waste.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Ok, should be no problem then

I just googled "7x4 single axle box trailer"

I thought when it was called "box trailer" it would be a closed trailer thus being 1,5-2,0 meter high, but apparently not, just a normal flat trailer.

I imagined a box trailer to be like this:  Service / reparation
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
After the drive into work today the average fuel consumption is sitting on 4.9l/100km.  This car is amazingly economical on the fuel!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If this keeps up, it'll be putting money back in your pocket soon.  :lol:

That's a good figure for so early.

You are one of the few members here that could check if your engine is fitted with a DPF. Your car originated from Europe, where the DPF is fitted as standard. I was told by service dept that it is not fitted, but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Happy to check, but how do I do so?  If you could post instructions or a link I'll have a look tonight and post the result.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Is a device I've never seen. It is a canister located at the output of the turbo, with a couple of small tubes that allow pressure to be sensed so if you don't have it, your exhaust pipe should exit the turbo looking just like a pipe. Further down the pipe, under the car is the catalytic converter, which all cars have.

@ Alan Ho, have you already posted a pic of the DPF on your car, I'm not sure.  :undecided:

Edit.

Do you have a sticker on the engine cover stating that the engine is NOT fitted with a DPF and to use ACEA B4 type oil. This will confirm NO DPF.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Tourer_Guy
Happy to check, but how do I do so?  If you could post instructions or a link I'll have a look tonight and post the result.

We're cramming a lot into your intro topic (:rolleyes:) but there's a thread here which has a link which points to an older style engine, showing this diagram:

(click for a larger view)

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
OK, the car DOES NOT have a DPF.  And because it took a while on the ship over, it is complianced as January 2014.

Woohoo on both counts! 

After a slow trip home through suburban traffic (different route from way to work as have to pick up my daughter from pre-school) it is now averaging 5.2l/100km.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thank you very much.  :hatoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's  excellent news... I wish I could trade the wife's 2011 CW on a new Diesel one  :whistler: 

But she doesn't like diesel and she loves her FD CW  :blubber:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal