i30 Owners Club

Hi - new guy here!

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered my new i30 Active Tourer yesterday, turbo diesel 6 sp manual.  Found this forum when googling for information about i30 fuel consumption, and was very impressed with the level of information and participation.

I should get my new car late January, and am looking forward to enjoying some of the ultra-low fuel consumption I've heard so much about!

Cheers,

Tourer_Guy  :victory:
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Two excellent moves you've made...

Best club in the world...

best car (at the price) in the world

Welcome aboard  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Wow - thanks heaps for the quick replies and the welcomes!

I'm getting out of a 2011 WRX, so I expect the new car to be quite different. 

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: again! I found your other posts first  :head_butt:

As you can see, we have members from all over.  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wttc:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Tourer_Guy

:wttc:

What a fine Christmas present, congrats on the new car.  :victory:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:

I suspect the most impressive difference you'll notice is the economy. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Update:

Just spoke with the dealer and I'm expecting to take delivery mid next week, probably Thursday, so only about 10 days to go until I receive the new car.  The vehicle will be in the yard at the end of the week, but they need to fit the towbar, clean/detail it and perform the pre-delivery checks.  As such I'll plan to take it for a bit of a drive on the weekend to start breaking it in.  With my new petrol vehicles I've used a range of revs and speeds, but have avoided full throttle and also lugging at low revs - is the same process used for breaking in the diesel?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
From memory I think it is a similar process.  It will tell you in your owners manual what the best method is.  Sometimes you are hamstrung by what the local conditions are (when I picked up my car back in 2011 I was in traffic for 45 minutes in the pouring rain).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Minimal running in required. Just don't flog it when cold and be gentle on the brakes until  they bed in etc...

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Thanks for that.  I've always been a believer that you don't flog a cold engine regardless of age...

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Update #2:

On the phone with the dealer and it seems it will be another week and a half before my new car is ready for delivery.  It seems strange to me that they don't hurry up a bit, given I am burning rego on my existing car which is being traded in, and that they are carrying the cost of the new car while it is still in the supply chain.

Ah well, another 10 days to go...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Update #2:

On the phone with the dealer and it seems it will be another week and a half before my new car is ready for delivery.  It seems strange to me that they don't hurry up a bit, given I am burning rego on my existing car which is being traded in, and that they are carrying the cost of the new car while it is still in the supply chain.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but when my son bought his Mazda 6 Sports in Sydney back in about 2003, the dealer told him it was coming off the ship on a certain day, would be transported to the importer and be with them within 2 days. One more day for PD and rego and he could pick it up.  Then there was a delay of about 2 weeks. I worked out (but could never prove it) that they'd sold his car to a "regular" customer and allocated him one from the next shipment which was two weeks later.
I asceratined this einfo by covertly observing the yard at Hornsby, seeing the distinctive balck car there, then it had plate son it and was gone.
Coincidence that another black car turned up in the yard a fortnight later? I think not.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Update #2:

That is a shame.. Wouldn't be the first time what Trevor has suggested has happened. Hope it is not the case though!

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I wouldn't have thought it was happening, but it wouldn't be hard to check because the sales receipt has the VIN on it.

It doesn't matter so much to me, because the value of the trade has been agreed in writing and the longer they wait the less rego it will have on it...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wouldn't have thought it was happening, but it wouldn't be hard to check because the sales receipt has the VIN on it.

It doesn't matter so much to me, because the value of the trade has been agreed in writing and the longer they wait the less rego it will have on it...

If the Sales receipt has the vin on it, unlikely to do a switch.. Should be fine then..

They probably just dented it while moving it around and will take two weeks to repair and paint... :winker: :whistler:

Edit: Excuse my sledge hammer wit!  :-[

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Shocked: :Pout: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
They're now saying Friday the 31st.

At least I've pinned them down to a date now.  I'm wondering if maybe they really did need to fix a dent...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What is their reason for taking a customer and putting them down the list for delivery. Time to start voicing your displeasure and remind them that this is very unprofessional behaviour. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They're now saying Friday the 31st.

At least I've pinned them down to a date now.  I'm wondering if maybe they really did need to fix a dent...

Give it a very thorough once over just incase!

I wish I lived closer I'd be happy to come with you for the pick up.. My Stepdad had a car dealership with attached body shop when I was a teenager and I learnt to pick body repairs/repaints really easily.

I was only joking about a repair, but I'd be giving it the extra once over just to be sure!

Keep us posted. Only 8 days now!  :happydance:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Dealership rang today (a different person to who I had been dealing) to announce my car was now in stock and would I like to book a delivery date...

Next Thursday it is!  And yes, I will check it over carefully!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So you picked up a day (now the 30th)  :victory:

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Looks like it.  Still, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  Saw a Tourer yesterday in the city and was immediately glad of my choice.

The only downside is that my wife has a bunch of jobs for me to do when I get the wagon! :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

The only downside is that my wife has a bunch of jobs for me to do when I get the wagon! :)

...and it never ends.... :sweating:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Just spoke with the dealership, now officially locked in for 4.30pm this Thursday.

I'll post up some initial thoughts a day or two after I take delivery, then a longer review once I've had the chance to run a few tanks of fuel and do a few thousand kilometres.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Update #2:

I'm not saying this is the case here, but when my son bought his Mazda 6 Sports in Sydney back in about 2003, the dealer told him it was coming off the ship on a certain day, would be transported to the importer and be with them within 2 days. One more day for PD and rego and he could pick it up.  Then there was a delay of about 2 weeks. I worked out (but could never prove it) that they'd sold his car to a "regular" customer and allocated him one from the next shipment which was two weeks later.
I asceratined this einfo by covertly observing the yard at Hornsby, seeing the distinctive balck car there, then it had plate son it and was gone.
Coincidence that another black car turned up in the yard a fortnight later? I think not.

Give you the tip,if a dealer has a CASH buyer or a FINANCE buyer,the CASH buyer will get the car first every time and as you said if they have a regular buyer be it Trade or Private,who gets cars off of them on a regular basis,(eg: every twelve or eighteen months)THEY will get preference over a first time or one off buyer,sorry people that's how the game is played.

We were told by both our Dealers of Bruce and Cyril,our orders would be pushed through and we would be given preference,as we were paying cash for both,Bruce the second one we bought was shipped in from another dealer and taken from a finance customer.

As they say cash talks
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I'm paying cash for my new car, it didn't seem to make much difference in this case though.  I am, however, a first time Hyundai buyer.

It probably helps to keep things in perspective, though.  I ordered the car on December 18, and will take delivery in January 30, just over 6 weeks later.  The car was on the boat when I bought it, and there would have been shutdowns due to Christmas.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal