i30 Owners Club

Nose-to-tail crashes and hitting parked cars the most common bingles

Guest · 23 · 3926

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
ONE in five accidents on Queensland roads involve motorists hitting parked cars, while a quarter of incidents are nose to tail collisions. 

Insurance company AAMI will release its annual Crash Index today after analysing almost 250,000 insurance claims between October 2012 and September last year.

More than 25 per cent of accidents were nose to tail, 21 per cent parked car incidents, 18 per cent collisions with stationary objects, 16 per cent failing to give way and just over 10 per cent were the result of reversing.

"Worryingly, roughly one in five accidents in the Sunshine State are parked car dings. A lot of these types of accidents tend to happen in shopping centre car parks where turning spaces aren't as big as they once were," said AAMI spokesman, Reuben Aitchison.

Queensland results were comparable with the national average.

Mr Aitchison said impatience was often overlooked as one of the leading factors behind accidents on roads.

"Fender benders and prangs from failing to give way are often a result of inattention and driver impatience, with the latter frequently leading to tailgating or following too closely behind other cars,'' he said.

Source: Nose-to-tail crashes and hitting parked cars the most common bingles |

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
< while a quarter of incidents are nose to tail collisions. 

This is one reason I've always been a fan of motorcycles lane splitting at traffic lights etc...  :neutral:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
"It jumped right out in front of me, officer."  :exclaim:  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ha.
Trees used to do that when I was driving rally cars.  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Ha.

Pissy drivers used to do that when I was working.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Ha.

Pissy drivers used to do that when I was working.

What, Rally drive?

I had a student of mine that used to work for the Royal Omani Police Force as a Helicopter Pilot.  He mentioned that when you were driving down the freeway and looked in the rearview mirror, you didn't see the car behind you, but you saw the people driving it as it was very close.  He asked the local police about it, and he said the conversation went something like this.

Helicopter guy (HG): "You travel very close to the car in front of you on the freeway, don't you?"

Local Copper (LC): "Yes, we do."

HG: "Why is that?"

LC: "Because there are a lot of rear end accidents here in Oman, more than other places."

HG: "Yes, I know, so why do you travel so close then?"

LC: "Because there are so many accidents, we try to reduce the damage.  There is not as much distance to travel to the car in front, so less damage."

HG:  :head_butt:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :judges: Love his logic,makes sense to me,if you got close enough and had an industrial air bag up front you could tail up to the bloke in front of you and save on brake pads  :hahaha:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Late last year I had to deal with issuing authoritative guidance for the design of breakaways on lanyards for, of all things, helicopter pilots and their night vision equipment. However, the same thinking had to be applied to determining compression distances and G forces.

My whiteboard still has the equations I used, from v=u+at through to integrals, derivatives and substitutions - it was a ball! The net result was a cool little widget where you enter a speed and stopping distance and it predicts the G force at work.

I recall that at 60kph a 1m stopping distance gives you 14G. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My son phoned me yesterday - he is a Brit Airways captain flying out of Heathrow. He lives an 80 minute drive from work so he sometimes stays overnight with a friend near the airport. 3 nights ago his friend heard an almighty crash in the night and looked out of the window in time to see a car limping off down the road. He went outside to investigate and someone had tail ended my son's car and driven off - leaving much of the front of their car behind including the reg. plate. My sons commuting car is a Toyota Avensis, 6 years old, with 178000 miles on the clock.  It has been a faithful and reliable tool and he aint very happy about it.

The car was transported to a local Toyota repair shop who have advised him that the damage is so severe the insurers they are likely to write it off. The other bad news is that the offending car was stolen. Hence his insurance will have to bear the cost.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
At least no one was in his car, but really bad luck.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee Alan, even your tales of woe are awesome!  :goodjob: Condolences to your son though!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I don't regard it as awesome - but bloody annoying. Fortunately he has a second car, so he has got wheels for his commute until he gets a replacement.

His second car is a petrol Toyota Carina he had off me 12 years ago. I would be ashamed to drive it. It was a white car - "was" being the operative word - because he parks it under some trees at home and in the BA staff car park at Heathrow. Hence it gets misted with unburnt jet fuel in London and covered by dead leaves when at home. It is now multi coloured - green and brown on all horizontal surfaces and a grey muddy chalky white elsewhere. The side body trims are held on with gaffa tape and it has more car park dings than you could shake a stick at. I hesitate to tell you what the inside is like. Last Time I asked, it had 280,000 miles on the odo and still runs like a train. One of his pilot mates told me last year that he is regarded as "Odd" by his peers in BA who all run around in up-markets cars up to and including Lambos and Ferraris. he is clearly more infamous than our Dazz for watching the pennies.

His argument is that his car is parked for several days at a time in the BA car park where it gets coated with jet fuel. After a trip he often has to use some spirit to get it off the windscreen before he can drive home. Furthermore, the BA staff have no respect for peoples property including their own. They drag suitcases between cars, walk into door mirrors, ding the car with their doors, and bump into cars when driving in and out - as can be seen by the state of both his cars.  Hence he refuses to expose a decent motor to that kind of life just to maintain status.

To compound my misery - he tells me this morning he is looking for a used diesel Golf or Audi A3 of pre DPF vintage and low mileage - say 100,000 miles. There is no Hyundai dealership near his home so he can't be persuaded.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry Alan, perhaps entertaining would have been a more appropriate word than awesome!  :-[

Your follow up post is was just as awesome entertaining  :goodjob:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your posts are awesome too, Dazz. :victory: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee thanks Gonz, I try  :happydance:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

What colour is your nose.?..........sir............ :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

What colour is your nose.?..........sir............ :rofl: :rofl:

Pure white. Dazz bleaches.  :D
I guess in this particular case the smell of peroxide is a blessing. :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Since reading Rusty's original post,this report must have gone viral on FB,because everywhere you go you hear people talking about their own states being reported as the worse for these type bingles.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Since reading Rusty's original post,this report must have gone viral on FB,because everywhere you go you hear people talking about their own states being reported as the worse for these type bingles.
What happened is that AAMI did the research based on its own claims figures, then issued State specific press releases, which is why they say "such and such" is in line with the national figures.
When Rusty first posted this, only Qld and SA came up in searches but that's changed as various news outlets published the press releases.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal