eye30 · 16 · 3180

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Any members caught up in this?

The Emergency Services in Southern Australia are battling wildfires which are threatening lives and homes.

Hundreds of firefighters have been deployed in the state of Victoria, which is facing some of the worst conditions in five years.

In Melbourne fast moving fires are being stoked by high winds and soaring summer temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius. The fires have also spread into neighbouring New South Wales.

BBC News - Fires rage across southern Australia
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yesterday's fire was about 5k's from my mum's house, but the wind was blowing the fire away. Under control after about 3 hours but 42 Deg C + 40 kt winds were a bad combination. Only 22 Deg C today, very pleasant but not so in VIC & NSW.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All I can say is having been through Ash Wednesday in Victoria. If there is even a hint that a fire is anywhere near you, get the hell out......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
The Kilmore fire was a few k's to the north of us.  We could see the smoke plumes.  Luckily for us the wind was unusually from the south and it blew the fire away.  If it had been the usual hot northerly, we (our town) would have been toast.   :eek:

The air is thick with the smoke as it hangs around.  Hopefully a bit of rain and a light wind will rid us of it and the remaining fires.   :fingers:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The Kilmore fire was a few k's to the north of us.  We could see the smoke plumes.  Luckily for us the wind was unusually from the south and it blew the fire away.  If it had been the usual hot northerly, we (our town) would have been toast.   :eek:

The air is thick with the smoke as it hangs around.  Hopefully a bit of rain and a light wind will rid us of it and the remaining fires.   :fingers:

We've got loads of extra wind and water ya can have Kittikat :-)   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sadly the great Australian Life style is also fruat for some with the high risk of bush fire. having been a volunteer fight fighter for many many years,like beerman said,unless you a super organised and very experience,get the flock out of dodge if it even remotely looks like over running you
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Last week we had a big fire in Maiden Gully, around 5 minutes down the road from us. Burned around 10 hectares, I think. There was also a fire i Long Gully, a short distance away - which was lit ON PURPOSE by two little brats, aged nine and ten. Of course, they won't be charged.

Last week there was also a big fire right down the hill, just over in one of the adjacent streets. Burned all along the creek bed and took several hours to contain. Scary stuff.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The consequences for lighting a fire, should be in line with fines applied for RSPCA offences since cruelty to multiple animals is always a result of fire, no exceptions children or not.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Scary stuff indeed Kylie!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Sadly many of the little delinquents that do this sort of thing know how the law works better than some adults,this is where parental responsibility for your children should come into play,charge the parents for their children's actions.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
The consequences for lighting a fire, should be in line with fines applied for RSPCA offences since cruelty to multiple animals is always a result of fire, no exceptions children or not.

Problem is, the fines for animal abuse are worth virtually nothing. How many times do you hear about someone torturing an animal to death, and they get let off with a fine of a few hundred dollars? Costs more money to take the bastards to court.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Problem is, the fines for animal abuse are worth virtually nothing. How many times do you hear about someone torturing an animal to death, and they get let off with a fine of a few hundred dollars? Costs more money to take the bastards to court.
KylieR. I'd have to agree with you,I wouldn't Pee on the RSPCA if they were on fire,their a toothless tiger who only do something if there is money or publicity in it for them,there are far more NO KILL shelters out there who do a better job that get my support

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

KylieR. I'd have to agree with you,I wouldn't Pee on the RSPCA if they were on fire,their a toothless tiger who only do something if there is money or publicity in it for them,there are far more NO KILL shelters out there who do a better job that get my support
I have to say, in Qld, the RSPCA actively pursues offenders. In the last year or so there have been some pretty ugly cases prosecuted and won in the courts. In one case a guy allegedly stole a pig from a farm then shot it with a bow and arrow. In another (IIRC) horses were tortured and killed. In the third, two alpacas in a school farm were killed (on scurity camera). In every case, the offenders were convicted but "let off" by the courts.
This sort of thing is what's creating the climate for more and more harsh laws in this country.
Can't blame the RSPCA for the courts' p*ssweak responses.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can always tell when Rick-p doesn't like something.  :snigger:

@Surferdude  :agreed:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can always tell when Rick-p doesn't like something.  :snigger:

@Surferdude  :agreed:

Yeah, just got an email from the head of the RSPCA ... He is very pleased Rick is not going to Pi$$ on him!  :sweating: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal