i30 Owners Club

Marmite lovers hit as the price of their beloved big glass jars rockets 50% in just five months.

eye30 · 21 · 3947

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2554114/Marmite-lovers-hit-price-rockets-50-just-five-months.html

The yo-yoing Marmite price has had its die-hard fans playing the market to stock up and is made even more curious by the fact that the recommended retail price set by maker Unilever has not budged from £5 since 2010.

The price rise has been in two stages. Over autumn the cost increased to £3.49 a jar and then in the last couple of weeks, the price leapt to £4.50.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Lester : You do realise that after sun-up in Oz, we will be buried in a deluge of that cheap and revolting muck called Vegemite  (an attempt to emulate the quality and flavour of Marmite) .................. :coolingoff: :foottap:

I shall hold you personally responsible for starting this thread ................ :TutTut:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 18:51:48 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Lester : You do realise that after sun-up in Oz, we will be buried in a deluge of that cheap and revolting muck called Vegemite  (an attempt to emulate the quality and flavour of Marmite) .................. :coolingoff: :foottap:

I shall hold you personally responsible for starting this thread ................ :TutTut:

:lol:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 18:52:43 by AlanHo »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I like both Vegemite and Marmite.  I know this may be un-Australian, but I prefer the texture of Marmite.

I went through two jars of Marmite in just five weeks when I was in Aberdeen!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like both Vegemite and Marmite.  I know this may be un-Australian, but I prefer the texture of Marmite.

I went through two jars of Marmite in just five weeks when I was in Aberdeen!!

It's a wonder you don't have blood pressure issues Jamie  :Shocked: That stuff is extremely salty!

When I was in my early twenties I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I decided to go on a low salt diet before resorting to any medication. Low salt Tomato sauce, Low salt Bread, Low salt margarine, Low salt Peanut butter + I went from eating a lot of vegemite to practically none .. my blood pressure soon dropped to acceptable levels..

I have vegemite on toast now probably one or twice a month if I'm lucky..

that cheap and revolting muck called Vegemite

It isn't that cheap Alan!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:happydance: :happydance:
You got that right. :victory:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It isn't that cheap Alan!

Trust you to pick up on my reference to "cheap" - but not the reference to revolting........................ :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I always check the sodium level on the pack, absolutely hideous, the amount that is being put into foods today. I simply can not eat ordinary Peanut butter (paste), only the low salt type. I don't know how other people can eat the stuff but I see mother's loading up their trolleys for the family to eat.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I've had a 250g jar of Marmite for a few months now and about half used, so I won''t be panicking to get extra.

I love salty stuff, can't help it. :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: diablo
I love salty stuff, can't help it. :)

Not much choice in Blackpool, with all that sea air  :coolingoff:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Easy solution, Plastic jars like peanut butter, an added bonus is they don't smash....

On salt, I read somewhere some countries have legislated to force the reduction in salt. For example South African legislation mandates the reduction of salt (for example in bread by 50%).

In the main, after a period of adjustment, no one is really fussed any more. So they have effectively reduced salt intake.

The only low salt options I don't take is Tomato Sauce and baked beans.  I don't add salt to anything (as the bread example highlights there is enough "hidden" salt in products as it is).

With the ballooning health budget on the horizon, it would be an excellent and cheap idea for Australia to set a (low) maximum amount of salt (and perhaps label the products in the same way fast food stores have to list the calories in their products).  This will force an overall reduction in the "hidden" salt being consumed by the population.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Easy solution, Plastic jars like peanut butter, an added bonus is they don't smash....

On salt, I read somewhere some countries have legislated to force the reduction in salt. For example South African legislation mandates the reduction of salt (for example in bread by 50%).

In the main, after a period of adjustment, no one is really fussed any more. So they have effectively reduced salt intake.

The only low salt options I don't take is Tomato Sauce and baked beans.  I don't add salt to anything (as the bread example highlights there is enough "hidden" salt in products as it is).

With the ballooning health budget on the horizon, it would be an excellent and cheap idea for Australia to set a (low) maximum amount of salt (and perhaps label the products in the same way fast food stores have to list the calories in their products).  This will force an overall reduction in the "hidden" salt being consumed by the population.

Agree 100% beerman.

I haven't added salt to food for 50 years. There is so much hidden on foods likewise with sugar too. When you buy reduced fat yoghurt etc, have a look at the increased sugar content in these foods, which after being metabolised in your body, turns into fat if the energy is not consumed immediately by a high energy lifestyle.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Salt encourages fluid retention Rusty. Fluid is heavy and makes the heart work harder.  :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:wts: :Agoodpost: x2

Just wait until I take over this country in a bloodless coup.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quote from: Phil №❶
There is so much hidden on foods likewise with sugar too. When you buy reduced fat yoghurt etc, have a look at the increased sugar content in these foods, which after being metabolised in your body, turns into fat if the energy is not consumed immediately by a high energy lifestyle.
Did someone say yoghurt?
Home Made Natural Yoghurt  :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Quote from: Phil №❶
There is so much hidden on foods likewise with sugar too. When you buy reduced fat yoghurt etc, have a look at the increased sugar content in these foods, which after being metabolised in your body, turns into fat if the energy is not consumed immediately by a high energy lifestyle.
Did someone say yoghurt?
Home Made Natural Yoghurt  :victory:

I used to make natural yoghurt 30 years ago, without the aid of Easi-Yo or the like. Just used a tablespoon from the old lot and some boiled milk which has cooled down to the right temperature.

Though tubs of natural, unsweetened yoghurt are now very common and not much more expensive than the same volume of milk.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory my Parents use a table spoon of yoghurt from the old one, some powdered milk and water, and do it in the Easyyo and it works ok.

If they don't have any previous yoghurt they just use some good commercial stuff.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal