'Contagious' wi-fi virus created by Liverpool researchers

eye30 · 11 · 2009

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A computer virus that can spread via wi-fi like a "common cold" has been created by researchers in Liverpool.

In densely populated areas with lots of wi-fi networks, the virus can go from network to network finding weaknesses.

Once in control of a wi-fi access point, it leaves computers on the network extremely vulnerable.

BBC News - 'Contagious' wi-fi virus created by Liverpool researchers
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is a worry (was always only a matter of time) :sweating: :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why don't they research how to stop the virus, not create one.  :fum: :disapp:

What will they call, it Hepatitis W
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
That's what they were doing.

Its amazing how many home network devices never have the passwords changed which is what they are counting on. Then the load their own firmware which provides a backdoor.

----------

The virus, dubbed Chameleon, seeks out wi-fi access points - devices that transmit the wi-fi signal, found in many homes - that have not had their admin password changed.
Girl surfing on a laptop Many people do not change their wi-fi admin password

This password is different from the one used to log on to the wi-fi network itself, and is often left unchanged from the default setting.

Once an access point is under a hacker's control, new firmware can be installed.

"So it's now under our control," explained Prof Marshall.

"Once you do that you can then do other things with it. You can recover passwords, steal data - anything you want."
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Change the password is the 1st thing I do with my router, once installed.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Now ifen ya really want something to get yer paranoia all fired up, what about bluejacking.   

Yeah you heard me right, leave you bluetooth switched on on your fancy smart phone and I will sit close by at the train station, bus station, airport and open my laptop scan for bluetooth devices and....   your not gonna like this bit so sit down a grip on to something firm...  then make several phonecalls through YOUR PHONE, using your bluetooth to a premium rate number I have had for a while.

When you get this unbelievably large mobile phone bill you'll be goosed because the calls where made from your phone and the mobile provider can prove it.

Me, I will be watching the dosh roll in from my premium rate phone number

I watched a demo of this scam being perpetrated and it was amazingly easy....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now ifen ya really want something to get yer paranoia all fired up, what about bluejacking.   

These Hackers are a pain the the a$$ aren't they! I was aware of the risk leaving bluetooth on, but seeing as I am always hopping in and out of my car, a bit of a pain to turn it on and off all the time!  :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Yeah you heard me right, leave you bluetooth switched on on your fancy smart phone and I will sit close by at the train station, bus station, airport and open my laptop scan for bluetooth devices and....   your not gonna like this bit so sit down a grip on to something firm...  then make several phonecalls through YOUR PHONE, using your bluetooth to a premium rate number I have had for a while.

When you get this unbelievably large mobile phone bill you'll be goosed because the calls where made from your phone and the mobile provider can prove it.

What do we get for the premium call, Asa  :question:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

What do we get for the premium call, Asa  :question:

Well I have never done it, being a good old boy that I am, but I image ya can charge quite a bit on premium lines.   A good few dollars a minute, and that'd mount up real fast  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

These Hackers are a pain the the a$$ aren't they! I was aware of the risk leaving bluetooth on, but seeing as I am always hopping in and out of my car, a bit of a pain to turn it on and off all the time!  :disapp:

Daz, if you go into your bluetooth settings you should have 2 options...
1. your phone being only visible to paired devices....or
2. visible to all nearby Bluetooth devices.
Select option 1 and you should be right...  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Rusty, i'll check it out :goodjob: Come to think of it, I think it might be set to that already!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal