i30 Owners Club

clutch pedal height

Offline teknofobe

• 1st Gear
Has anyone small found a problem with the height of the pedals in the i3I have to sit forward further than I wish to depress the clutch pedal properly. Because of this the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are at an angle that I have to hold my foot almost upright to connect with the pedals.  This is uncomfortable and on long journeys 'nicks' the top of my foot just below the ankle which I can feel for the rest of the day.  I have been informed that the pedals cannot be adjusted and I haven't found a  seating position that helps much either.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so any ideas that may help?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi teknofobe. Welcome mate :)

Check that your left leg isn't shorter than your right leg :lol:

Seriously, though, I have to say I don't have this issue and other than experimenting with the seat height/rake (which you say you've already done) I can't offer any suggestions.

Have you had any similar problems with previous cars? Is there a dealer nearby where you can sit in another i30 to compare the heights?

(PS.. whereabouts in the UK are you?)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to hear about your problem, are you saying that when you are releasing the clutch the car starts to engauge the clutch while the clutch peddle is close to the floor? or are you having problem's disengauging clutch to shift gear or engauge gear?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome teknofobe

Just checked and my pedals are all same hight

But I find that it does have a higher bite point than previous cars I have had.
Also, when I am releasing the clutch pedal the heel of my left foot will more than likely be off the carpet.

I have shortish legs and I found by having the seat hight midway between low and high and adjusting the forward/backward rack I was able to get a comfortable position and not too close to the steering wheel.

Also, don't forget the steering wheel moves in/out/up/down so once you get the seat ok then adjust the wheel.

You need to experiment with the hight, forward/bachward rack and wheel until you get the best position.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline teknofobe

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the quick responses. My legs are almost the same length - at least they were the last time I checked.
The clutch pedal on my i30 SE is about  25mm (one inch in the old money) below the brake pedal level and Hyundai customer services say that there is no way of altering it. I can't honestly believe that but there appears to be no adjustment at either the clutch or pedal end. Am I missing something ? Any mechanics out there with the knowhow?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My accelerator lies about 1 inch lower than the other two, which are at equal height to each other.

However, I only need to depress the clutch halfway down to disengage fully, meaning (obviously) I don't need to depress the whole 12 inches when changing gear
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline teknofobe

• 1st Gear
Just a post script to my original problem. I solved the clutch pedal height problem by making a 25mm (1") block of hard rubber with a duplicate pedal araldited to it. The complete gubbins was then fixed to the existing pedal by a couple of countersunk machine screws. Both clutch and brake pedals are now at the same height. I've since covered about 8000 miles with now problems and the car is now a joy to drive.
If anyone else has the same problem I can post photos.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just a post script to my original problem. I solved the clutch pedal height problem by making a 25mm (1") block of hard rubber with a duplicate pedal araldited to it. The complete gubbins was then fixed to the existing pedal by a couple of countersunk machine screws. Both clutch and brake pedals are now at the same height. I've since covered about 8000 miles with now problems and the car is now a joy to drive.
If anyone else has the same problem I can post photos.
Can I make two observations here?
Firstly, whilst I admire your innovation I'd check the legality of what you've done. Especially where insurance is concerned.
Secondly, I can see no reason why the two pedals should be different heights and regardless of whether or not the dealer says they aren't adjustable, I'd have been insisting they fix it. Obviously something has gone wrong in building the car - and quality checking has slipped up.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal