Emergency Pendants and House Keys

AlanHo · 6 · 1406

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This story rang a bell with the accident that happened to my late father a few years back. But he didn't survive.

I thought it might be a useful reminder to all of us

Those home emergency assistance pendants. - Kia Owners Club Forums
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan, Trish's mum is 91 next month and doesn't have one of those pendants, but probably should.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I would recommend them as my late fatha wore one.

Couple of "drawbacks" with his system though:

- they called me whenever they couldn't hear any movement within his house
- they were able to listen in on him at all times
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My late brother had one and had to use it a few time after falls...   The social services also provided a safe attached to his door within which his door key was held, it had a numerical keypad for access.   The out access to the apartment block also required a magnetic key.

It was a great relief to know that access could be achieved if/when the need arose, as ultimatly it did <sigh>

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Mother had an emergency ringer and also other systems organised by local firm Vitaline. There were also some movement detectors and an alarm push on the wall which she could push and talk to someone at the centre, plus sensors on the doors.

The firm sometimes had a car in the area and would call in if something appeared wrong (they had keys), though often they'd call me to go round. So I had to keep below the driving limit for about three years, which is no small feat for me. :)  Though I sometimes had to get a taxi if doubtful.

I installed internet cameras covering the doors as she was prone to wandering off plus I could hear what was going on in the house.

She also had carers calling in twice a day plus went to a daycentre some days. I'd call round to cook at least once a day.

I eventually decided I'd better move in with her but shortly after that the social services ordered that she'd have to go into a home where she'd be watched 24//7 - she is still there.

The Vitaline service was useful but they didn't always pick up on things, so I'd get a call from neighbours if she was knocking on someone's door at 4 in the morning, or standing in the street waiting for the daycentre taxi at silly o'clock.  But they were better than nothing if I hadn't lived a short car ride away.

Oh and she kept taking off the alarm locket thing.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My old mum had one when she was living on her own.
She kept it around her neck at all times fortunately (mainly because I nagged her about it) as she had a fall shortly after I'd had dinner with her one night and had just left for home.

She lay on the floor and was wondering how she was gonna reach the phone when she remembered the pendant.
The people who monitored it were able to speak to her and then phoned me to come.
I then called an ambulance who then (eventually) carted her off to hospital suffering a broken hip.

The monitoring company were great, as they rang a number of times to check on her progress while we were waiting for the ambulance and then rang the following day to see how she was.

My opinion, they are a must for the elderly.....  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal