Biker crash caught on police camera - video

eye30 · 55 · 8045

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
In oz do ALL motor bikes when moving have to have headlights on by law ?

No is the simple answer to that,personally I will always ride with a headlight on,but that again is my own personal preference.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
No, same rules apply as if riding a car, if I can remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In uk it is mandatory to have headlights on when moving on a motor bike 24/7.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
No, same rules apply as if riding a car, if I can remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I gave up riding cars,hurts to much these days when you fall off the roof or the bonnet when you loose your balance and grip
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Damn......... I can't get away with missing a word :rofl: :rofl:. Riding "IN" a car. I actually laughed out loud to that response.  :lol: :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are they any worse than bicycles though, Rick?  :undecided:

Does make a good argument for allowing small capacity scooters to also use bicycle lanes....Trouble is, the bicycle crowd are very protective of their lanes so won't have a bar of any other road user using them....:(

The fortunate thing is but,most Bicyclists I come across,don't put themselves between two loaded trucks in the center,also most I come across nine out of ten times if a truck is at the front of the line,they stay behind you and most will stay within your mirror vision.

Personally,I think those small CC scooters should simply be banned,they create a huge hazard on the roads,I have nothing against scooters,but the minimum size sold should be 150CC,I have a regular encounter with one going up through the hills here,every afternoon,two young riders on one of these scooters,it causes a huge traffic jam in peak hour,because they can't get over 25-30 kph

Why ban them? If they have the performance of a bicycle, why not let them travel in bicycle lanes and also let them pass to the left of cars etc just like a bicycle and maybe then they wouldn't end up between 2 loaded trucks....  :undecided:

Trouble is, the stupidity of the few ruin things for the majority....  :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are they any worse than bicycles though, Rick?  :undecided:

Does make a good argument for allowing small capacity scooters to also use bicycle lanes....Trouble is, the bicycle crowd are very protective of their lanes so won't have a bar of any other road user using them....:(
Well, talk about wanting your cake and eating it, too. :disapp:

If these little scooters have the performance of a bicycle, what's wrong with that?  :undecided:

There are different rules for other vehicles on the road so what is so hard about having low capacity scooters having some different rules to full size motorcycles?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Simple answer...only when conditions warrant it....

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The fastest production, standard motorbike that has a 50 cc engine, is an Aprilia RS50, stunning bike, great runner, 50cc, gears and if you fiddle with the governor, 70 mph!

That would be fun in the cycle lane
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There's always one in the crowd.....

It's simple Alan, like many other restrictions on vehicles, there would just need to be a horsepower/kilowatt limit......  :head_butt:

It's easy if only people had an open mind.....  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do you mean if it is say raining or dusky lights would be turned on but then that is down to the riders discretion and i imagine a fair few will not turn their lights on.

So it is not mandatory.

Given the threads on here re changes in oz re bikers and the number allowed to gather etc then this is one instance which should be mandatory - headlights on at all times when a motorised bike is moving..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Personally I gave up riding cars,hurts to much these days when you fall off the roof or the bonnet when you loose your balance and grip

Just ask the Saudi's.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

Just ask the Saudi's.  :lol:
shaking my head   :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Do you mean if it is say raining or dusky lights would be turned on but then that is down to the riders discretion and i imagine a fair few will not turn their lights on.

So it is not mandatory.

Given the threads on here re changes in oz re bikers and the number allowed to gather etc then this is one instance which should be mandatory - headlights on at all times when a motorised bike is moving..

You gotta realise that our days aren't as gloomy as over there, eye....so there is less need....

The government did bring in compulsory lights on back in the early 90's but motorcyclists managed to get the law repealed (due to there being insufficient evidence that it was beneficial) so now it's legal to not have your lights on during the day.
Hasn't made a huge difference though as motorcycles imported in Oz still have the headlights hardwired on but now if you want to go to the trouble, you can retrofit a switch to enable the headlight to be turned off.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There's always one in the crowd.....

It's simple Alan, like many other restrictions on vehicles, there would just need to be a horsepower/kilowatt limit......  :head_butt:

It's easy if only people had an open mind.....  :whistler:

I also meant to add that there could also be a speed limit enforced such as that imposed for filtering...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

So it is not mandatory.

You gotta realise that our days aren't as gloomy as over there, eye....so there is less need....

The government did bring in compulsory lights on back in the early 90's but motorcyclists managed to get the law repealed (due to there being insufficient evidence that it was beneficial) so now it's legal to not have your lights on during the day.
Hasn't made a huge difference though as motorcycles imported in Oz still have the headlights hardwired on but now if you want to go to the trouble, you can retrofit a switch to enable the headlight to be turned off.

Surely anything to increase visability to other road users is a positive

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

So it is not mandatory.

Millions of Volvos cant be wrong....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Millions of Volvos cant be wrong....

:laughter: good one  :laughter:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

That was the thing, the evidence, for and against was examined (by a Government Enquiry into Motorcycle Safety no less) and there was insufficient reason for the law to remain in place....
Very surprising the law was repealed though as once a law is made you usually have to move heaven and earth to get rid of it...   :victory:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

That was the thing, the evidence, for and against was examined (by a Government Enquiry into Motorcycle Safety no less) and there was insufficient reason for the law to remain in place....

What..... not enough accidents!

But surely being more visable would reduce accidents so in this instance lower accident rate must show visability works.

Or do they want more accidents to reduce the biker population

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Lester, the evidence was in regards to motorcycles supposedly being easier to see with headlights on during the day...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Lester, the evidence was in regards to motorcycles supposedly being easier to see with headlights on during the day...

So why not enacted!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What was there to enact?   :undecided:

There wasn't conclusive evidence that having lights on during the day improved motorcycle safety....

So eventually the Australian Design Rule requiring headlights to be hard wired to come on when the engine was running was repealed.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

What was there to enact?   :undecided:

There wasn't conclusive evidence that having lights on during the day improved motorcycle safety....

So eventually the Australian Design Rule requiring headlights to be hard wired to come on when the engine was running was repealed.

Enact a draft Act which must have been drafted in anticipation of a positive outcome.

What a load of bull.

Lights on make bikes more visable even at the  height of summer when the sun is high in the sky.

One positive here, although i don't have stats to hand, in that the number of collisions of a car pulling out in front of a bike has reduced.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You may think it was a load of bull but that was the evidence back in the 90's....

It's not as cut and dried as you may think. During the day, headlights aren't always easy to see, sure they can be great when seen from a distance but at intersections etc approaching from the side, headlights can be quite ineffective.
The fact that 84% of drivers (in Australia) that turn into or across the path of a motorcycle (resulting in a fatality) are at fault would suggest that drivers either aren't looking or that headlights aren't enabling motorcycles to be seen where it really matters ....

Take A Longer Look - Stop SMIDSY Maurice Blackburn Motorcycle Awareness Ad -

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal