New Tyres for Bruce Yet again

Just Rick · 36 · 12384

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I was going to put this in someone else's thread,but the server told me to start another Thread.

Anyhow back to what I was going to tell ya!   :D Yesterday I had to get another set of Tyres for Bruce,because it is too hard to get to my normal supplier,I went to one close to work.

Normally I can get a full set of tyres for Bruce at $300 F& B'ed,but changing shops it cost me quite a bit more,but extremely happy with my choice of Tyres,can't believe how quiet they are at one point I had to open the window to hear any road noise(as bad as it used to be)

I had used Maxxis tyres in the past on my 4x4 but never on any of our cars,these are Maxxis Waltz MS800,very quite and from the four odd hundred K's I've done on them so far,very comfortable,mind you I have noticed a fair increase in over steer at speed,but at normal city driving very good  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
good on ya rick  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
MS800 is soft and comfortable. Some of our local i30 owners reflected that it sacrificed a little performance when running across water on the road (rainy days).  :victory:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I would take the softness and comfort over a little performance any day. I don't get into all the speeds and numbers so much anymore. As long as I can get from point a to be and have a car that has enough balls when you need it.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is good news Rick.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jsp1978

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
What sort of life do you all get with your i30 tyres. I have a hybrid camry with quiet and probably soft tyres from the factory, and at 35,000k the fronts are looking fairly worn (will need to rotate them asap). I expect about 45,000k looking at how they are wearing now, yet my commodore ive had for 12 years seems to get 80,000k from a set of bridgestones.
  • 2014 I30 Trophy CRDI

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
jsp1978 I'm pretty hard on tyres,Bruce has just clocked 91.000 K's when I had to have this set put on being his third set,so on that I'm only getting 30,000 K
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What sort of life do you all get with your i30 tyres. I have a hybrid camry with quiet and probably soft tyres from the factory, and at 35,000k the fronts are looking fairly worn (will need to rotate them asap). I expect about 45,000k looking at how they are wearing now, yet my commodore ive had for 12 years seems to get 80,000k from a set of bridgestones.
camrys are notoriously heavy on front tyres. If you haven't yet rotated them, IMHO you've done well to record 35,000 on them.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What sort of life do you all get with your i30 tyres. I have a hybrid camry with quiet and probably soft tyres from the factory, and at 35,000k the fronts are looking fairly worn (will need to rotate them asap)

That is interesting, my 2012 Hybrid. Camry  has done nearly 40, hope to get at least 60k out of them. They have been rotated every 15k as far as I am aware.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My fronts went for 55 and needed changing due only to scrubbing caused by toe out. The rear tyres are still originals at 60.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What sort of life do you all get with your i30 tyres. I have a hybrid camry with quiet and probably soft tyres from the factory, and at 35,000k the fronts are looking fairly worn (will need to rotate them asap)

That is interesting, my 2012 Hybrid. Camry  has done nearly 40, hope to get at least 60k out of them. They have been rotated every 15k as far as I am aware.
The benefits of rotation, Dazz.  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Then there is this line of thought about tyre rotation... :undecided:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp

While that makes for some interesting reading and certainly makes some sense surely the act of regular rotation is to create even tyre wear and therefore have the "best" tyres front and rear.
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Trouble is, as soon as you rotate them you've put the best tyres on the front, something the current line of thinking would suggest you don't really want.... :undecided:

We've had this discussion elsewhere on the forum and in spite of the recommendation (world wide) that your best tyres should be on the rear, the idea has generally been poo'd poo'd on here... :whistler:

Make of that what you will....  :undecided:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
You shouldn't poo poo the poo pooer, Rusty.  Otherwise everybody is poo poo'd, and we all end up in the sh1t!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't see a problem if you don't rotate. I bought 4 new Kumhos from Ozzy Discount Tyres online but when I saw how little worn my rear tyres were I changed only the front ones. I'm happy to treat my tyres as two sets of two and have different schedules for each pair. :wink:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't see a problem if you don't rotate. I bought 4 new Kumhos from Ozzy Discount Tyres online but when I saw how little worn my rear tyres were I changed only the front ones. I'm happy to treat my tyres as two sets of two and have different schedules for each pair. :wink:
So, you put the new ones on the front?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trouble is, as soon as you rotate them you've put the best tyres on the front, something the current line of thinking would suggest you don't really want.... :undecided:

We've had this discussion elsewhere on the forum and in spite of the recommendation (world wide) that your best tyres should be on the rear, the idea has generally been poo'd poo'd on here... :whistler:

It's generally been poopood on forums like whirlpool also.
The long and short of it is that, these days, industry experts (read tyre manufacturers) have done a complete about face on their recommendations from 10 or so years ago.
Which they are entirely entitled to do. However, in general, the people who's daily lives depend on their cars don't acknowledge the change.
There are certainly people who will always follow the manufacturers' recommendations and, unlike some, I am happy for tthem to do so. I wouldn't (and especially whilst working in the industry) try to change their views.
But I have always made an effort to see that end users are made knowledgeable enough to be able to make a decision based on their own needs.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Of course. They are the tyres that needed changing. I haven't really given it that much thought until now but I think that when it's time to change the rear ones I'll rotate and put the new ones on the front again, only because they get more wear. :Dunno:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Of course. They are the tyres that needed changing. I haven't really given it that much thought until now but I think that when it's time to change the rear ones I'll rotate and put the new ones on the front again, only because they get more wear. :Dunno:
Makes sense to me.  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

The long and short of it is that, these days, industry experts (read tyre manufacturers) have done a complete about face on their recommendations from 10 or so years ago.

It's not just tyre manufacturers either, correct me if I'm wrong... :winker:

Also many many years ago, people thought the world was flat and you could sail right off the edge. As we know, people are now a bit wiser and know that's not gonna happen.
Point I'm trying to make is that things change as we become more informed. What was seen as correct years ago doesn't necessarily mean it will always stay correct....

People just need to have an open mind...

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It's not just tyre manufacturers either, correct me if I'm wrong... :winker: Well, yes. Everyone else, including the vehicle manufacturers take their lead from the tyre manufacturers (as they should)

Also many many years ago, people thought the world was flat and you could sail right off the edge. As we know, people are now a bit wiser and know that's not gonna happen.
Point I'm trying to make is that things change as we become more informed. What was seen as correct years ago doesn't necessarily mean it will always stay correct....

People just need to have an open mind... Which is exactly what I've been saying all along - but they need to know all the options in order to exercise that.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Economics and aesthetics aside, given that front and rear wheels do very different jobs, the ideal may be to have two different types of tyre. Comments? :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

And over time plenty of things have become 'accepted thinking' before tragedy or research has shown that said 'accepted thinking' was wrong.  Just because tyre people are saying it, means very little really. You have to look at where their bias is (ie making the most money at minimal risk and reduction of company and reputation risk overall). It could be that the new tyres to the rear theory (and you can google plenty of dissent on the theory) could for example increase profit whilst having a negotiable risk to the company. After all, how can one prove the accident contributed to by having your worst set of tyres on the front? Plenty of evidence there to say that it will be, but nothing compelling that can get the tyre makers sued. 

It's not just tyre manufacturers either, correct me if I'm wrong... :winker:

People just need to have an open mind...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:02:36 by Surferdude »
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: The Gonz
... given that front and rear wheels do very different jobs ...

According to my missus, tyres are solely there to keep the car from scraping the road. Seriously, she told me that, once.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm gonna just keep having mine rotated regularly so they wear out at roughly the same time. I like the option to swap all 4 tyres to another brand or pattern when the time comes. If the tyres are bald enough front or back to cause an issue at the speeds I drive then I haven't replaced them soon enough!  :winker:

For the record I have every faith in Trevor's opinion.  :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
[Scraping]

:lol:
Oh dear  :eek:

And prompted by Beerman's cryptic quote repost, I read the Kwik Fit page: interesting consideration, under-vs over- steer.  Fair enough. :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Quote from: The Gonz
... given that front and rear wheels do very different jobs ...

According to my missus, tyres are solely there to keep the car from scraping the road. Seriously, she told me that, once.
Quite right, too.  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Which they are entirely entitled to do. However, in general, the people who's daily lives depend on their cars don't acknowledge the change.

I disagree Surferdude,

For the recommendations to do a 180, means that the original advice must have been BS, based on some incorrect assumptions. The unknowing general public are entitled to better advice than this IMO.

I'm with Gonz, I treat the tyres as two pairs. With ESP available, the different coefficient of grip in an emergency is handled by the vehicle, more than the driver.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal