New Tyres and vibration

BC · 12 · 4820

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Hi,
Had new set of Goodyear Duraplus tyres fitted and balanced a couple of weeks ago.  Also had a wheel alignment.  Now I find I have a slight vibration - you can feel it through the seat and a little through the steering wheel.  It becomes more apparent approaching 100 km/h and above. 
Someone not familiar with the car probably wouldn't notice it but the first time on the new tyres at speed it didn't feel right. Does anyone have any ideas?  Is it likely to be a bad balance job? 
Incidentally, the tyres are noticeably quieter, particularly on all weather coarse bitumen.  The change from a smooth surface to a coarse one is barely noticeable.

Thanks . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
New tyres will generally always be quieter when starting out. I'd question the quality of the balancing, including the rear tyres. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I would get your balance checked again. Make sure they check the balance first, because most tire shops will just rip the weights off and not actually check it, because its faster, then having to put them on the balance twice. And then you won't know whether they were out or not. If that doesn't fix it, vibration coming thru the steering wheel could be caused by something wrong in the drive train, I.e cv/driveshaft, transaxle, etc. Having sort of the same issue with my other car (vw golf). Sadly enough the problem has not been found and everything has been check. So don't know what other sinnister things could be wrong.....
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Reaper is right. Make sure they check the balance BEFORE taking off the weights. If you didn't have it before, it is almost certainly balance.

On very rare occasions, a slight imbalance either in the hub assembly or the wheel(s) can be hidden by the wear in the old tyres counteracting it - a progessive thing and rarely noticeable. Don't mention this to them as you give them an easy "out".
Most importantly, ask them to also pay attention to any runout in the rims (and/or tyres).
Another failing of many "tyre technicians" is that they don't bother to look at that when the assembly is spinning during balancing. WH&S requires a guard over the wheel and tyre when it's spinning and unfortunately many can't be bothered just looking in from the side to ensure everything is OK. The balance can be fine but runout affects the balance when on the road.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW, my Duraplus are approaching 40,000 klms and less than half worn. There's been no vibration at all and they haven't been rebalanced in that time, despite the fact that they're on alloy wheels and a week after I got home, I found two of the stick on weights stuck to the garage floor.  :disapp:
Bloody tyre fitter.  :P
That would be me.  :-[

Anyway, still no vibration, even on my trip out to Leyburn for the sprints last year. "Might" have seen 150 kph a couple of times on the way out.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :disapp: Hoon. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Hi,
Had new set of Goodyear Duraplus tyres fitted and balanced a couple of weeks ago.  Also had a wheel alignment.  Now I find I have a slight vibration - you can feel it through the seat and a little through the steering wheel.  It becomes more apparent approaching 100 km/h and above. 
Someone not familiar with the car probably wouldn't notice it but the first time on the new tyres at speed it didn't feel right. Does anyone have any ideas?  Is it likely to be a bad balance job? 
Incidentally, the tyres are noticeably quieter, particularly on all weather coarse bitumen.  The change from a smooth surface to a coarse one is barely noticeable.

Thanks . . .
Incidentally, the alignment showed up the front camber was outside the specs and wasn't adjusted (can it be adjusted?)  Also the SAI (whatever that is).  I don't think this is a contributing factor but thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks again everyone . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Went back to the tyre retailer and they checked the alignment.  They told me it was a little out but said one of the rims was culprit.  There is no obvious damage to the rim so I'm not sure why the problem . . .
Anyway, they swapped the rim with the spare and this seems to have fixed the vibration.

Also, apparently the camber can only be adjusted by buying a camber kit.  (about $400)
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Went back to the tyre retailer and they checked the alignment.  They told me it was a little out but said one of the rims was culprit.  There is no obvious damage to the rim so I'm not sure why the problem . . .
Anyway, they swapped the rim with the spare and this seems to have fixed the vibration.

Also, apparently the camber can only be adjusted by buying a camber kit.  (about $400)
I was told this morning, while at the Hyundai dealership that the camber specs are set to be to the left slightly, so if you fall asleep you go off the road, rather than into oncoming traffic. I can see the logic in that. I also have had other mechanics say that the wheel should stay straight regardless of camber. Don't know who to believe, still researching that out.

As for the rim, it could just been built faulty and may not be completely round per say. just enough to cause a vibration, but not enough for the human eye to catch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I question how much of the stuff we are told at Hyundai dealerships is fact and how much is just one person's interpretation of the facts, or their opinion.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I question how much of the stuff we are told at Hyundai dealerships is fact and how much is just one person's interpretation of the facts, or their opinion.  :undecided:
Unfortunately, it's not just Hyundai dealerships.
We live in a world where far too many people won't take responsibility for their own actions, nor for actually "fixing something".

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Life is nothing but interpretation.  It's just figuring out which one is the best, based on trial and error and experience

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal