i30 Owners Club

+ & - symbols near Drive on automatic gear change

Offline mariner8381

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Renmark, SA
    • Aussie Eggshell Carvers
It's me again with a question. On our new i30 Elite there is a + (plus) and - (minus) sign near the Drive position for the automatic transmission. Should we be able to do something with this or is it just a spill over from the Sports model housing? (Does this make sense? I'm not a tech minded male!)

We can't find any reference to this in the book or we just haven't looked in the right place - either way, hoping someone can shed some light on this topic.
  • MY14 I30 Elite GD - silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wish my gearstick had a built-in calculator like yours  :undecided:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Like this?

A good question  :cool:

Manual gear selection?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Only time I have ever seen this in this style auto,is you should be able to pull your gear stick towards the + - and manually change up and down gears.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yep, let's you play manual..... :goodjob:
Especially handy when the auto wants to kick down a gear going up a hill when you know full well it will sail up in top gear. Flick the shift across to the + and it will hold the gear..Want to drop down a gear?, give the shifter a nudge towards the --  :)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yep, let's you play manual..... :goodjob:
Especially handy when the auto wants to kick down a gear going up a hill when you know full well it will sail up in top gear. Flick the shift across to the + and it will hold the gear..Want to drop down a gear?, give the shifter a nudge towards the --  :)
As Rusty mentioned it allows you to manually shift gears.

When in D position, move the shift lever to the right towards the driver's position; you can do this at any speed, even stationary.  The gear indicator next to your speedo should change from "D" to the current gear ("1", "2", ... "6").  If you want to shift up a gear, nudge the shift lever forwards and let go.  Shift down: nudge it towards the rear.

Note that you don't have to remove your foot from the accelerator when changing gears.  Also, it will automatically downshift to 1st gear when coming to a stop, so the engine will not stall.

This should be described in your driver's manual. In my Kia Cerato manual it is under "Transaxle" in the index.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline mariner8381

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Renmark, SA
Thanks for the replies - and the reference to the transaxle. I've attached (I hope I have lol) but it's different to the pic Shambles posted. This doesn't have the visible positions to be able to change from automatic to manual. I've since found the place in the Owner's Manual (page 5/19) which talks about Automatic Transaxle (if equipped) but how do we find out if our car is equipped with it? We've tried moving the gear shift, not while travelling though but only get the normal automatic positions Park, Reverse, Drive etc.

Hubby understands the automatic/manual gear shift but doesn't know it works with our car. Any suggestions on how to use this function?

Offline pistnbroke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
When stationary move the shifter into ," D ", then pull it across towards the driver. It will go into another gate. Your dash display will change to "1".

To go through the gears you simply push the shifter forward for upshifts and pull back for downshifts. The shifter will only move a
short distance...
  • i30 Premium

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I actually think the gear lever when in D should be pushed to the LEFT,  away from the driver. It then enters a different gate. You can then push it forward or backward to manually change gears. Push it back to the right to reenter normal Drive mode.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I actually think the gear lever when in D should be pushed to the LEFT,  away from the driver. It then enters a different gate. You can then push it forward or backward to manually change gears. Push it back to the right to reenter normal Drive mode.

Looking at both sample photo's I suspect your right,but I have never driven the Auto(Don't plan to either)so I am only guessing
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I drive the i30 tourer at work and this is how it works (if I remember correctly).
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
With the new GD you go to  drive and then go to the left. Its tiptronic shifting. You can up and down shift. Good for downshifting if you are going doen a steep hill and don't want to lock or wear out your brakes.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline pistnbroke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Yep, my bad, only tried it once...
  • i30 Premium

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Interesting: on the Cerato you move it to the right (towards the driver) to engage the manual shift.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline fangfarrier

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hills District , Brisbane
If in any doubt as to how the sport shift mode of your auto transmision operates I would be visiting the dealership from where you purchased the car and getting them to complete their pre delivery obligation of explaining / demonstrating the features and operations of your vehicle. It seems to me that they did not do this.
  • GD i30 SR auto

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
They didnt show the tiptronic with me,  but knew what it was, because my vw golf has it as well
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline mariner8381

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Renmark, SA
 :) Thanks everyone - it works! Push to the left. Something else ticked off on the bells. & whistles learning curve.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I test drove an auto and did find it fun using it manually.   :D
Possibly even fun enough to buy an auto next time.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal