i30 Owners Club

Keyless Entry - Possible Battery Problems

AlanHo · 36 · 12632

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But who carries the handbag?   :undecided:

Not me! (I won't even hold it for Trish!)  :head_butt:

Oh, so she holds it for you.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Not a fan of keyless, because I haven't got one.  :)

Keyless entry is a great idea though, but if I was designing the system, I would make it so that the driver inevitably removes the key from their clothing / bag etc the car unlocks due to proximity but the push button won't start the car until the key is located in a secure slide out tray similar to an ash tray mounted in the dash, close the tray and push the button, away you go. To kill the engine, pull out the tray and proximity switches the engine off.

This would do away with key cutting, tumblers in locks etc using a simple coded RFID embedded in the key, no batteries required. :idea:

I hired a Renault Megane in Portugal that had a remote resembling a thick credit card with buttons on it. The drivers door would unlock if the remote was on your person. I vaguely recall you had to use the remote unlock button to open the passenger doors. There was a slot in the dash you pushed the remote into and the push button start would then work. The engine stopped if the remote was removed from the slot. When I first collected the car at the airport it took me a few minutes to work out how the damned thing worked.  There may have been a metal key tucked away in the remote - I can't remember.

However - whatever the system was frustrated me. I much prefer the standard remote/key combination and a key starter.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
For those without keyless entry and start..

With my car I have a remote fob (with a key hidden inside it in case of a fob or battery failure)

When I get out of the car I just touch the door handle and it locks (with one beep) I have to lock it with the remote lock button if Trish leaves her handbag in the car with the spare key in it.

When we return to the car if locked by remote then has to be unlocked by remote. If we have locked it by touching the door handle then I just grab the door handle (with key in my pocket) and driver's door only unlocks.

Trish has spare key in her handbag. If she grabs her door handle (passenger side) all the doors unlock.

WAlk to the back of the car with Key in Pocket or key in Trish's handbag (within roughly a metre of the lock) and can open boot by just reaching under the latch (or touching boot button on Remote Fob)

To start the car just touch button on dash with key on your person (or in your pocket)

Once you get used to it, just so easy and convenient!

Exactly the same as my i40.

There is a key inside the fob which can be used in the event of battery failure, the key is used to prise a cover from the passenger door handle which reveals a standard barrel.  The car can still be started by holding the fob (I assume it has a power reserve with limited range) on the start button.

I agree about the ease and convenience, it did puzzle me though when I first picked the car up and got out at the end of the first journey, couldn't get it to lock by using the button on the door handle, it just kept beeping at me, then I realised that the spare key was in the handover pack from the dealer and in the secure tray under the boot floor, that was when I found out just how clever it actually is!  Like the Toyota system though using the fob buttons does over-ride the keyless system.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I just see them as a way to complicate a relatively simple process....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just see them as a way to complicate a relatively simple process....  :undecided:

I think you would like it if you had one. I think it simplifies the process.

Just chuck the key in your pocket like you always do then forget about it until you get home.  Sort of like using your TV remotely without having to find and fiddle with the remote all the time. (like Samsung and others are currently trying to perfect) 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal