How do you drive - speeding etc..?

accim · 18 · 4337

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Generally..how do you guys "follow" the speed signs..? I mean..if there is a sign 80 kph, do you drive 80 kph or do you mostly (if the road is OK) drive over it - let's say 90, 100 or 110 kph?

In our country almost no one even looks at the signs.. Here we mustn't drive over 50 kph in "populated areas" (cities, villages...), 90 kph - on "normal" roads (outside the cities..) and 130 kph on highways.. Well..people here mostly drive (daily) 60-70 kph in populated areas, 100-110 kph on normal roads and 140-160 kph on highways (a lot of people drive also 160 kph+).. It's like this despite the fact that we have relatively high penalties for speeding (if you drive 80 kph, where you should be driving 50 kph, the penalties are 1,000 EUR - beside that you also get some penalty points etc.. Oh and I should mention that 1,000 EUR is a lot here. Most middle class people earn 800-1,200 EUR a month - I'm not sure but the numbers are not much higher..).

I'm not much different than most drivers here. I'm just curious how is it in your countries. I know in some Scandinavian countries people drive really in accordance with the regulations... I drove one guy, which was from Norway and he was shocked when he looked at my speedometer and saw that I was doing 160-180 kph on the highway, which is really not some special speed if you ask me.. He said that there they drive max 90 kph - not sure, but I think he said 90 kph.. I slowed down to 140 kph then (which is REALLY normal speed for highway) so he would feel more "at home".. I wonder how he would have felt if he had been driven by MyChemR with his ex car (Golf GTI with approx 300 hp)..I know he drove me once 270 kph and I must admit that it was really fast..  8)

So..how about you?  :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No probs here in the UK accim... we drive using mph not kph :P

Most of my driving through the week is motorway (highway, freeway, autobahn etc) and I keep Fergie at around 65mph. The three main motorways I use (max 70mph) are littered with UPVs (unmarked patrol vehicles) so it's never wise to drive in a silly way. That said, I know all the reg numbers of the volvos (they're all volvos) so I know if I pass one that he's on the prowl.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes I understand and I also never drive reckless or something like that..I was just curious how it looks in your countries..

Oh and yes, here the cops also use a lot of UPVs as in the UK.. They have Skoda Octavia, Opel Vectra, Honda Accord, Volvo S60, Ford Mondeo,....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know all the reg numbers of the volvos (they're all volvos) so I know if I pass one that he's on the prowl.
How??  give give give and I won't mention Porto.

Also, there is a give away in UPV's that they have a small camera by the inside mirror and in the grill you can usually make out the outline of the flashing lights.

Have you ever noticed how these powerful cars always seem to be driving slow in relation to other road users. Then.......................... away they go as speed person passes at 90 plus.

On the M6 further north I've seen a transit size van doing 45-50 in lane 1.  Just behind a police car so it is shielded from the 3rd lane. Then all is let loose as a car whizzes by at 80 plus.

It's the ***** doing 45 in the middle lane when lane 1 is clear they need to pull over.

PS I always drive within the limit for the road, I think, if I've time to look at the speedo.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I know all the reg numbers of the volvos (they're all volvos) so I know if I pass one that he's on the prowl.
How??  give give give and I won't mention Porto.
Maybe the subject of another thread... maybe....
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
I'm a reasonably calm driver.
I don't speed too much. The only time I'll put my foot down a bit is when overtaking. Or sometimes I'll have a bit of fun off the lights (not speeding though)...
 :lol:

Oh and I really hate the people who do 80/90 in a 100km/h zone (exclude L and P platers limited to those speeds) but people on their full licenses who then plant their foot down when you try and overtake them. The cops should book these w@nkers who hold up the traffic. Its more dangerous when people drive slow on the highway because people generally get frustrated quite quickly and then try and overtake in crappy sections of road.

The great thing in the Golf and i30 diesel is you're already around them most of the time because the cars just pick up so damn quick! Love top end torque...lol
 :twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I try to stay within the speed limits 50km in suburban streets (60km in main arterial city roads), 80 or 90 kms on minor roads and 100 to 110kms on highways..

It can be very difficult in the CRDi and in the the Tiida as neither have Cruise and both want to go...

I use the GPS and try and stick on the speed limit by that  (which is between 5 and 8 km above the posted speed according to the speedo)  :-[   :wink:

On some winding roads you can have fun at a posted 100kms  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I generally sit at around 100 (indicated) on the highways, as I know from passing many speed radars with displays that Wiggy's speedo is 5km/h out at lower speeds, and maybe 6 or 7 at 110.

Like Dazz I have had my share of fun around winding roads (Especially Mount Hotham lol) but as I noticed yesterday, I have worn off the outside of the tread on both front tyres!! Damn, now I have to look at some better compound tyres than the Korean cheapies my I30 came with!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Like Dazz I have had my share of fun around winding roads (Especially Mount Hotham lol) but as I noticed yesterday, I have worn off the outside of the tread on both front tyres!! Damn, now I have to look at some better compound tyres than the Korean cheapies my I30 came with!

I switched my tyres from front to back at around 20,000km as as I don't get to fang through winding roads as often as I would like they are wearing very well. I would be surprised if I don't get 50,000 out of them.. Then I will have to decide if I put cheapies on and trade her or spend at least $200 a corner and keep her a couple more years... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
I try to keep to the speed limit in built up areas and on single carriageway roads for safety reasons. Got a speeding fine last year doing 38mph on a Sunday morning - temporary 30mph limit on a 70mph dual carriageway :mad:. I used to really go for it on motorways but became obsessed with fuel economy so now drive between 60-70mph.
My main annoyance is when people see a speed camera and slam the brakes on, slowing down more than they need to (eg from 50mph down to 30mph in a 40 zone).

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I understand.. I also hate when some people brake down to half the speed they are suppose to be driving - just because they saw a police..

The reason why I'm wondering about your driving habits is the fact, that a lot of you have great fuel consumption and then I read that many of you drive 80-100 kph on the highways etc.. Here we are "allowed to" drive 130 kph on the highways and if you try driving 90-100 kph, people behind you get really nervous because they must reduce their speed (130-140 kph) to your speed. They/we also usually get close to the car in front and try to make the driver that is driving in front, go faster  - they can't overtake you with 140 kph because someone is already driving 160-170 kph behind them and is just about to pass them.. So the easiest and the least stressful way of driving on our highways (and other roads) is when you drive 140-160 kph. So..you get used to that and you drive like that every day. Before you know it, you are speeding all the time (in cities = populated areas 10-20 kph+, highways 30-40+ kph and other roads 20-30 kph+). That becomes normal..

Just few days ago I went to this town, that is approx 150 kms away and you mostly drive on highways.. So I was checking my speedometer more often and I noticed that I was driving 45% of the time around 150 kph, 35% of the time 160-170 kph, 15% of the time 130-140 kph and 5% of the time 170-180 kph.. And a lot of cars were still passing me..

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
...I was driving 45% of the time around 150 kph, 35% of the time 160-170 kph, 15% of the time 130-140 kph and 5% of the time 170-180 kph.. And a lot of cars were still passing me..

Wow! In Aus you would automatically lose your license for driving 150+ kph on the highway. As far as I know our maximum speed limit anywhere is 110. Many years ago there used to be outback highways in the Northern Territory with no speed limit, but I suspect they have speed limits now as well.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
...I was driving 45% of the time around 150 kph, 35% of the time 160-170 kph, 15% of the time 130-140 kph and 5% of the time 170-180 kph.. And a lot of cars were still passing me..

Wow! In Aus you would automatically lose your license for driving 150+ kph on the highway. As far as I know our maximum speed limit anywhere is 110. Many years ago there used to be outback highways in the Northern Territory with no speed limit, but I suspect they have speed limits now as well.

Interesting, here you don't lose your license even if they stop you at speeds 180 kph :) I'm not sure what happens if you drive above 180 kph.. You do pay 1,000 EUR penalty though, I think. That has a downside..our country is (every year) among "top" three countries (EU countries with highest number of deaths on the roads). Beside speeding we have a problem with drunk driving and general culture of driving.. But..it could be worse  :neutral:

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
I dislike hoons- I always flash my lights at them...because I've almost gotten into major accidents because of those idiots! But I also dislike people who drive slow in the right hand lane....I get so mad! I don't speed that much, only sometimes when I'm overtaking someone or in a rush. Most of the time I'm pretty good though.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No matter what the maximum speed limit is for the road you are driving on, you should only drive within the capability of the person holding the steering wheel.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
...you should only drive within the capability of the person holding the steering wheel.

Unfortunately it's been proven that those who think they are awesome drivers (& therefore take more risks on the road) often turn out to be the absolute worst in an emergency situation (eg a tyre blows out at high speed, slippery road etc).

...our country is (every year) among "top" three...EU countries with highest number of deaths on the roads). Beside speeding we have a problem with drunk driving and general culture of driving...

...They/we also usually get close to the car in front and try to make the driver that is driving in front, go faster...

Incredibly dangerous maneuver there. What happens if the car in front brakes suddenly? Apologies if I am appearing judgemental here (I have no idea about your annual road toll vs ours here in Aus), but surely you must see a connection with those two statements. 

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
...you should only drive within the capability of the person holding the steering wheel.

Unfortunately it's been proven that those who think they are awesome drivers (& therefore take more risks on the road) often turn out to be the absolute worst in an emergency situation (eg a tyre blows out at high speed, slippery road etc).

...our country is (every year) among "top" three...EU countries with highest number of deaths on the roads). Beside speeding we have a problem with drunk driving and general culture of driving...

...They/we also usually get close to the car in front and try to make the driver that is driving in front, go faster...

Incredibly dangerous maneuver there. What happens if the car in front brakes suddenly? Apologies if I am appearing judgemental here (I have no idea about your annual road toll vs ours here in Aus), but surely you must see a connection with those two statements. 

I totally agree with you  :wink:

I must say that I didn't express myself that good above.. With that "we" I was thinking about general culture.. I do not drive like explained above (close to someone etc..) or at least not anymore.. I have driven like that few times before and it is one of the most dangerous things you could do..

I drive carefully, sometimes under speed limit if necessary and sometimes I go over it (empty or very few cars on highways..). I almost always drive in accordance with speed limits in populated areas especially if there are a lot of pedestrian.. And yes..it is true that mostly, people that think they are great drivers come out to be a disaster.. They might have reflexes and all, but they forget one important thing - predicting (-> what if??). I've seen it a lot of times and it happens to me almost every day for example.. Just yesterday, I was going off the highway - before that I turned my blinker (turn signal) and went to the lane, where you go off the highway, and some guy turned (right) practically in me. He wanted to go off the highway too.. He didn't give any signal, he didn't even look, he just decided to go off last moment.. Luckily I was expecting him to do that, so I was keeping an eye on him and managed to brake very hard so he could cut in - in front of me.. I've also noticed that people often forget to turn off their blinkers and then, they come to the crossroad and when you think you can go (because he is for example "signaling" you he is going right), he just goes ahead.. I "have" that kind of situations almost twice a weak..

The thing I was trying to stress out is, that people here don't really care how they are driving - if they are a threat to others if their driving is annoying (people often drive on the "overtaking" lane on the highway, even though they are not passing anyone), nobody doesn't want to wait etc.. They only think about themselves and drive like it's a war or smth.. I know our country is not the worse one in that, but after reading this forum, I got the feeling, that in AUT and some other countries, it is different..

I won't say anything about speed limits, because almost every country has them different.. We don't have that good roads, the speed limit on our highways is 130 kph and that seems reasonable to me.. I don't care if someone drives 110 or 160 or 90 kph, just as long as they are not a threat on the road..

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Oh and one more thing I forgot.. Before overtaking someone you should always know something about their car. At least if the performances of the car you are overtaking are better than yours..

For example: It happens (also a lot of times), that you are just about to overtake some car in front of you (he's driving 70 kph, you want to go 90 kph) and let's say he has a BMW 530i. You turn on your signal, you accelerate and than he looks in the mirror, sees that a Hyundai is trying to pass him, he feels embarrassed? or something and he steps on his gas and doesn't let you.. So you have to decelerate and go behind him again. That isn't such a problem on highways as it is on normal roads and that happens in 60% cases when you are trying to overtake some BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche.. The same thing can happen with a Toyota Yaris 1.0, but at least you know that your car accelerates better, so you can overtake him.. That is one of the main reasons I decided to tune my car from it's stock 90 hp to 115 hp. Not because I could go faster with it, but because I'm safer with more hp..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal