i30 Owners Club

Fuel Contamination

Jim_B · 20 · 6295

Offline Jim_B

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Fife
Hi folks, I foolishly put approx 5 litres of petrol into my i30 diesel last night. Having been distracted I noticed my mistake and added 40 litres of Diesel to fill her up. The car was fine going home but I starting thinking of my actions once I sat down.  I've ended up paying the RAC to drain my tank after I found a lot of conflicting accounts on the Web of potential harm.

Any views or feedback on this would be welcome as am sure it's not just me that's been absent minded. Cheers.
  • 1.6 Diesel CRDi Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I made that mistake myself once in my Transit van, only difference is I didn't realise until the tank was full :faint:

You've diluted it right down putting 40 Ltr's on top so I wouldn't expect any issues, long term driving wouldn't be recommended but as you said the car got home fine I believe it'll be fine.

By the way your Avatar ( car ) is upside down... I hope the wrong fuel didn't do that :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd also have had the tank drained.

Some might say you diluted the petrol with the diesel, but the fact is that diesel is denser and causes the petrol to float on top, meaning it'll always be there, until you start to choke on it.

Quote from: CraigB
By the way your Avatar ( car ) is upside down...

That's to help you guys "down under" see it in its proper perspective :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Quote from: CraigB
By the way your Avatar ( car ) is upside down...

That's to help you guys "down under" see it in its proper perspective :P
:lol:

Offline Jim_B

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Fife
Yes, my car pic definitely appears down under. Not quite sure how I achieved that lol. Thanks for the feedback folks, it's appreciated.
  • 1.6 Diesel CRDi Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes, my car pic definitely appears down under. Not quite sure how I achieved that lol. Thanks for the feedback folks, it's appreciated.

Maybe you were subconsciously trying to tip the contaminated fuel out!  :goodjob:

Think you did the right thing BTW.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

Maybe you were subconsciously trying to tip the contaminated fuel out!  :goodjob:

Think you did the right thing BTW.  :cool:
:lol:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
At Jim, when you first loaded your avatar, it probably appeared to be sideways. And then you fixed it before you save it by rotating it. Just reload the picture. If it appears to be on the wrong rotation leave it. It will post right side up when you save. If that makes sense.

At least for me this happens to me quit a bit. More when I use tapatalk

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Thus the reason I have mis fueler fuel caps on both of mine,not worried about me doing it,but have concerns my wife may do it one day,you can not get a petrol nozzle in my tanks,so when you find you can't put the nozzle in the tank you start to think there is an issue
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Craig00071

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gungahlin, ACT
I don't think I would of worried about draining it. Maybe I would of kept topping up before empty to try to dilute it more.

I love how the i30 takes the larger high flow nossel though.
My diesel mondeo only takes the small pump nossel.
  • 2010 i30, SLX, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, Auto, White. 271000km

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't HOS me but ... I'd posted in a related thread that I stick to my favourite truckstop hi-flo bowser at my favourite BP discount station.

Recently I spotted a new sign stating that that particular line of bowsers is only for trucks - for the blind obedience of fools. :P
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry guys but if you mis fuel your vehicle like this, it is best not to even start the car. Do not under any circumstances think that adding Diesel will dilute the mistake. You WILL damage the high pressure fuel pump, injectors or other engine components.

The reason for this is that the combustion properties of both fuels are entirely different. If the mixture were capable of surviving the high pressure fuel pump, the injectors, expecting to squirt atomized drops of oil into the combustion chamber at the precise time that combustion would occur, would instead be squirting burning petrol and oil, totally disrupting the timing of the Diesel motor, causing severe damage.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:58:05 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Sorry guys but if you mis fuel your vehicle like this, it is best not to even start the car. Do not under any circumstances think that adding Diesel will dilute the mistake. You WILL damage the high pressure fuel pump, injectors or other engine components.

The reason for this is that the combustion properties of both fuels are entirely different. If the mixture were capable of surviving the high pressure fuel pump, the injectors, expecting to squirt atomized drops of oil into the combustion at the precise time that combustion would occur would be squirting burning petrol and oil totally disrupting the timing of the Diesel motor, causing severe damage.
ready to read the funny puns off this comment.  :snigger:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, start the ball rolling Reaper.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
4L petrol the rest diesel, if it's brimmed i would expect about 53L diesel, i would have left it & topped it up with diesel each day.
i know a guy who puts a small amour of petrol into his diesel as he does not drive it a lot & claims the petrol in the diesel stops diesel Bug , he has done this for ages.
not me i've never miss fuelled in my life & back in the 70's i knew guys that stuffed petrol motors miss fuelling with diesel.

Offline Jim_B

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Fife
Thank you Reaper for the Avatar advice re my profile pic, it was indeed a tapatalk issue and I have now righted my picture. It was very tricky driving my i30 upside down, let alone with a contaminated fuel tank  :lol:

Feedback appreciated. Since having the tank drained, I have driven over 100 miles and she is still running perfectly. No lasting damage done I hope, when I initially drove it home.
  • 1.6 Diesel CRDi Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good news Jim  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nice to see you back on all 4 wheels Jim :)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Thank you Reaper for the Avatar advice re my profile pic, it was indeed a tapatalk issue and I have now righted my picture. It was very tricky driving my i30 upside down, let alone with a contaminated fuel tank  :lol:

Feedback appreciated. Since having the tank drained, I have driven over 100 miles and she is still running perfectly. No lasting damage done I hope, when I initially drove it home.
glad everything is back to normal :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal