M25 driver clocked doing 149mph

eye30 · 29 · 4065

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Surprised there was enough empty space to allow them to do this speed.....
===========================

A motorist has been caught speeding at 149mph.

The offence, on the M25 near Swanley in Kent, was captured by a speed camera and was the highest recorded speed during the period April 2013 to May 2014.

M25 driver clocked doing 149mph - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
We had a situation here not that many years ago,a driver of a 22 year old Datsun 120Y,got clocked doing 189kph,now when you looked at the pictures of this car it was your basic young kids rust bucket.

It made the news for weeks here,they ended up having to take the car to a race track,put a racing driver in it and tried their damnedest to get it up to that speed,on repeated occasions the race driver gave up at 105kph because the steering vibration became that violent he could not control the car,eventually the authorities conseeded their camera was at fault(this they didn't like,because it led to others that where fined on the same day and until the camera was fixed being let off) but neither was the owner of the car that pleased because in the end the car was taken off the road due to unworthiness(fair call) camera's occasionally make a mistake,but the onus is on the driver to prove he wasn't doing that speed
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's the part I don't like, guilty until proven innocent.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm with you, Phil...  :goodjob:

I have to agree,all I was saying that the authorities can only work off of what their camera's are telling them,we know they make mistakes from time to time,in the case I quoted it would not take a brain surgeon to work out a 120Y could not achieved 189kph(well it could if it was highly modified)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I most other instances of law, the burden of proof in on the prosecutor. In serious crime, the accused does not have to testify AFAIK, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

How is it possible to prove your innocence in a traffic matter when the govt has already installed a myriad of electronic devices to substantiate their complaint. I don't think it's a fair system.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil .Didn't say the system was fair,but from what I've seen,the guilty lay down and pay the fines and the innocent,like the person I quoted about actually fight the system,win and get all costs awarded,even though the youngen lost the car they did pretty well out of it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
149 k's out of a 120Y, I would have fought that one too, what a gift.  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 19:26:09 by Phil №❶ »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Wins against the system are few and far between, unfortunately......

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
149 k's out of a 120Y, I would have fought that one too, what a gift.  :goodjob2:

I think that was uphill too, if I remember correctly..... :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
189 k's out of a 120Y, I would have fought that one too, what a gift.  :goodjob2:

I loved it when they kept playing the footage of the 120Y struggling to get up to 100kph on the straight of the racecourse and the media laying it into the authporities,made them all look like idiots  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :goodjob2: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Even with traffic offences, it is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
The issue of a traffic infringement notice is purely an opportunity for the recipient to dispose of the matter by way of paying the prescribed penalty, but they always have the option of taking the matter to a magistrate's court which will decide on their guilt or innocence.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Even with traffic offences, it is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
The issue of a traffic infringement notice is purely an opportunity for the recipient to dispose of the matter by way of paying the prescribed penalty, but they always have the option of taking the matter to a magistrate's court which will decide on their guilt or innocence.
As I said,the guilty pay and the innocent ones fight it and generally win,Technology like humans,not infallible

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As I said,the guilty pay and the innocent ones fight it and generally win,Technology like humans,not infallible

I don't agree, sorry.
Some guilty pay, some innocent pay.
Some guilty fight it, some innocent fight it.
Some guilty are convicted, some are not.
I would like to think that the innocent win, but I am not so naive to think that this is always the case.
As far as technology is concerned, police officers are trained to estimate speeds and back up their own estimations with the technology to back it up.
This is where fixed camera technology loses me somewhat.
Lasers are the best because they "lock on" to a particular vehicle so there is no doubt.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Problem is Dave, that if I were stopped by a policeman who was unseen by me at the time of the alleged offence and had a laser with numbers on it pointed at me and told "you did this", how do I prove / disprove, the alleged offence.

There is an old, but still relevant ad campaign showing how you can be "accurately" lasered from a distance so far away, the driver can't even see the policemen with his weapon. So if I can't see him, then he can't possibly use his training to gauge my speed, so he is relying solely on the laser technology.

If he's lazy, how do I know it's not someone's prior measurement.

I think lasers have been proven wrong, too. Don't those naughty truckies use those springy things diagonally across their radiators to confuse laser guns.  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The odds are stacked against you so proving you weren't speeding is pretty much non existent. Usually, from what I read, it is usually a slip up on procedure on the coppers part that allows a lawyer to score a win for their client in Court.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I drove on the M25 a couple of times a few weeks ago.  Albeit off peak, around late morning.  Traffic was heavy but still enough space in the fast lane for the Beemers and Audis to fly past at 90 mph. Uncle Lester was pottering along at a sedate 60 mph in the Nissan Juke rental car from Hertz.  I believe the poms call the Juke the 'Joke' don't know why.

On the M3 coming up from Southampton post cruise, traffic was light and the motors were really moving, I actually got up to 75 in the 'Joke.' :Shocked:  Likewise I drove on the M5 into Somerset, light traffic and the motors were moving. I was really impressed with the  type of cars in the UK, plenty of BMW, Mercs, Audis, Jags etc, not as many older car as one would see in OZ.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
189 k's out of a 120Y, I would have fought that one too, what a gift.  :goodjob2:

I loved it when they kept playing the footage of the 120Y struggling to get up to 100kph on the straight of the racecourse and the media laying it into the authporities,made them all look like idiots  :goodjob2:
Never under estimate the good old 120Y, this brought back to mind an incident we had at the Motorplex Raceway a few years ago when this dinged up rusty orange 120Y rolled out on to the track, we were all amazed and were thinking "why would you bother" anyway the Datsun pulls up to the line awaiting the Christmas tree to give the green light and next thing you know this Datsun pops a wheelie and shoots of down the track finishing with a low 9 second run ( holy shit ).
Went down to the pits to check this car out and the guy had put a Nissan 300Z twin turbo engine in it that he'd bought for $600 out of a wreck.

Because of the unreliability of a wrecked purchase his next run wasn't good, 60 metres down the line and the flywheel comes free, hits the tarmac and bounces back up through the engine bay cutting everything in its path to pieces and flying out the top of the bonnet :Shocked: from then on I never under estimated those crappy old bunkies that pull up beside me anymore :D

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
By the way, I forgot to mention I had a Datsun 120Y, powder blue in colour, bought it new in 76.

Served our young family well for 6 years, did plenty of trips from Sydney to Gold Coast to see my mother, brother and sister.  I cannot recollect achieving 140mph though, perhaps not even 140 km/h.  Probably flat out at 110 km/h on the Newcastle Freeway back then.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Problem is Dave, that if I were stopped by a policeman who was unseen by me at the time of the alleged offence and had a laser with numbers on it pointed at me and told "you did this", how do I prove / disprove, the alleged offence.

There is an old, but still relevant ad campaign showing how you can be "accurately" lasered from a distance so far away, the driver can't even see the policemen with his weapon. So if I can't see him, then he can't possibly use his training to gauge my speed, so he is relying solely on the laser technology.

If he's lazy, how do I know it's not someone's prior measurement.

I think lasers have been proven wrong, too. Don't those naughty truckies use those springy things diagonally across their radiators to confuse laser guns. :whistler:

Not sure what your talking about here Phil,but the only thing that does work against the new technology is actually sold as parking sensors(ony a particular model),it will not allow the laser to lock on for up to three seconds,give you an audible warning that a laser or microwave signal is trying to lock on,IF YOUR DUMB ENOUGH to be speeding,you have that three seconds to get below the speed limit,as the device is unable to preform a full lock out,but they are not cheap,hence I don't have one and I attempt to not break the road rules,but I do know many who do have them all are pleased as punch with them,especially the private subbies running East West

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
By the way, I forgot to mention I had a Datsun 120Y, powder blue in colour, bought it new in 76.

Served our young family well for 6 years, did plenty of trips from Sydney to Gold Coast to see my mother, brother and sister.  I cannot recollect achieving 140mph though, perhaps not even 140 km/h.  Probably flat out at 110 km/h on the Newcastle Freeway back then.

So did I, same colour BUT, it was auto, with air.  :Shocked:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Yes friend in the Army had one(the fastback,now there's an oxymoron) bought brand new,I knew him for five years he never had a problem,couldn't kill the damned thing with a stick,just kept on going on  :goodjob2:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

So did I, same colour BUT, it was auto, with air.  :Shocked:

Mine was 4 on the floor, only air was wind down the windows ! :blubber: Geez the auto in the little 1200cc motor would have been working hard, 3 speed automatic? :Shocked:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal