i30 Owners Club

Will you be replaced by a robot? Jobs study reveals 100 occupations most and least at risk of automa

eye30 · 17 · 2618

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Millions of workers in the UK are in danger of being replaced by computers and robots, a study from Oxford University has suggested. 

The academic paper looked at 700 of the most common occupations and ranked them from 0 (no risk of automation) to 1 (very high risk of automation).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2642880/Table-700-jobs-reveals-professions-likely-replaced-robots.html

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If my job could be replaced by a robot, I wouldn't be satisfied doing it. :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If we are smart we as a planet will put a limit on automation.

But we are not, and I fear for the future.....Where are the unskilled jobs going to be, and there won't be enough skilled jobs for everyone....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I suspect there's some confusion. While some tasks can be automated, you still need people to control the automation, setup the job, perform QA. CAD/CAM has replaced the craftsmanship component of furniture manufacture for example, and yet someone still has to design the piece, create the program, setup the machinery, load the materials and so on. So the work has not vanished, per se. Its just redistributed the skilled labour intensive bit into a number of other jobs.

And how do you automate telemarketing anyway? If response is measure by pushing buttons at the recipients end to record information, I can't imagine how that's ever going to succeed.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I suspect there's some confusion. While some tasks can be automated, you still need people to control the automation, setup the job, perform QA. CAD/CAM has replaced the craftsmanship component of furniture manufacture for example, and yet someone still has to design the piece, create the program, setup the machinery, load the materials and so on. So the work has not vanished, per se. Its just redistributed the skilled labour intensive bit into a number of other jobs.

And how do you automate telemarketing anyway? If response is measure by pushing buttons at the recipients end to record information, I can't imagine how that's ever going to succeed.

Yes but automation has all but killed the newspaper industry,we deliver to Perth Print,does the Sunday times over here and a few other community news,when you go through the museum side of it,just in the mill from just twenty years ago it has gone from a workforce of 300+ to run the presses to just 15 and there are so many other industries have gone the same way,another perfect example would be farming,now day and age,an average farm will directly and indirectly provide for three families,years ago an average farm directly and indirectly provide for 12 to 14 families
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
IMO, this is a somewhat circular situation.

Companies have had to employ more productive techniques to maintain profit or even survive. In Oz, it is simply too expensive to employ a large workforce when a machine can outperform in both productivity and accuracy. AK is also correct, job functions are changing, but mechanical efficiency is definitely eliminating the workforce.

The saddest and most demoralizing situation, is to be long term unemployed. There are also our young schoolies, who have very little to be optimistic about. The psychological effect can be devastating.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Neither of my jobs figure in the list. Namely :

Retired

Husband.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My job is highly automated. I am there incase the automation fails, and for the minor parts of taking off and landing. Besides, the general public doesn't want to be "flown" anywhere by robots.

BTW, George (the autopilot) flies much better than I can.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My job is highly automated. I am there incase the automation fails, and for the minor parts of taking off and landing. Besides, the general public doesn't want to be "flown" anywhere by robots.

BTW, George (the autopilot) flies much better than I can.
Ahhh!
The old "Nothing can go wrong......go wrong.....go wrong.......go wrong" announcement fron the automated pilot.  :p
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Public attitude will change soon enough with self driving cars. :whistler:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Impossible. Robots behave according to a predermined code. :rolleyes:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Impossible. Robots behave according to a predermined code. :rolleyes:

So the voting public has already been replaced by robots?
Too many people attach their faith to poor incarnations of blind ideals instead of to principles that demand understanding and clear thinking, but let's not go down what might be twisted into a political debate. :winker:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Neither of my jobs figure in the list. Namely :

Retired

Husband.

Number one, yes. 
Number two, don't bet on it.   :whistler:

:rofl: :snigger:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
20 years ago when I was just finishing my 20 year stint in the Banking industry, they had us aggressively selling the benefits of ATM's (effectively getting us to help put ourselves out of a job...)  :fum:

The largish Branch in Devonport I was the Assistant Manager of had 30 staff when I was there (now has about a dozen!)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal