i30 Owners Club

Lowering the rear seat

Berber · 12 · 3918

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Stupid question but I do seem able to lower the rear seats on my 3 door. I can lift the front of the squab and it sort of unpops if that makes sense. What it won't do is swivel with the rear of the squab lowering down. It has probably never been lowered before but I don't want to brake anything.

Any clues anyone?
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On mine once you "unpop" the strap at the front , the front of the seat lifts up. 

You then pull the front upwards and towards the front of the car and at the same it pulls out from under the rear back.

When you pull forward the front of the seat it will swivel down with the rear of the seat lifting up in an arc.

The seat part is then placed against the rear of the front seat with the seating part up against the back of the front seat.

You unlock the rear and this folds forward and drops into the well left by the seat.

The head rest will fit nicely into the underside of the upturned seat as it has an indentation to accept it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
I couldn't see a strap on mine. I'll have to have another go.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Strap hangs from under the front of the seat.

You pull it towards the rear of the front seat as it slides slightly to allow the seat to pop out of a sort of clip.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Still no strap. It was shown in the manual but I cannot find mine (no comments guys) . I'll take another look tomorrow evening.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Still no strap. It was shown in the manual but I cannot find mine (no comments guys) . I'll take another look tomorrow evening.
Is it possible someone's had the seats folded down and when they replaced them they trapped the strap under the seat?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm thinking, with it being a 3 door, the rear seat base doesn't lift and fold forward like the 5 door....    :undecided:

Remember, the 3 door scores longer doors, the B pillar is positioned further back and, with the lack of rear doors, different panels & trim....

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Good point. I shall have to ask the dealership I guess. It would explain the lack of strap.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Just found this on the web. It refers to a 3 door.

There is plenty of luggage space, with up to 378 litres available with the rear seats in place – expanding to 1316 litres when folded (not flat).
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Strap's been yanked off, or trapped in the mechanism, I guess.

Does the rear seating split into two, and if so are both seat parts strapless? The Owners Manual really should demonstrate how to do what you're trying to do.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

There is plenty of luggage space, with up to 378 litres available with the rear seats in place – expanding to 1316 litres when folded (not flat).

Yeah, that's all I could find too. I took it as meaning just the backs fold down and the reason it says "not flat" is because the seat squab doesn't lift and fold enabling the back to lay completely flat.  :undecided:

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham

Yeah, that's all I could find too. I took it as meaning just the backs fold down and the reason it says "not flat" is because the seat squab doesn't lift and fold enabling the back to lay completely flat.  :undecided:

That explains the lack of a strap. It is also a shame as it does not give as much luggage room as the 5 door.

On the plus side, my passengers tell me it is wonderful to sit in the back when the panaramic roof is
open!
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal