i30 Owners Club

i30 with no RDS in South Africa

keithk · 29 · 10569

Offline keithk

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Free State
Got my 2013 i30 on Saturday low km on clock so feeling pretty good.
BUT can you believe with the great technology to day and no RDS, RDS is not an accessory but a safety aspect as with Bluetooth that is on the radio.
Hyundai say's New Thinking, New Possibilities...." What were they thinking" not to add RDS,
City driving you don't need to change frequencies often but living out in country towns this happens.
Is it possible to have RDS installed on the radio?. I surely hope so.
would like to know
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 premium, Hatch , White

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I have that same gripe. Especially since I travel a lot and frequently finding myself changing stations all the time. Hell, even my 1996 Ballade had RDS! Not to mention an old school tape deck :P

I believe RDS support is region dependant. I'm unsure if maybe a dealer could enable it somehow?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
And for an Aussie Dinosaur, RDS is?  :-[ :confused:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I don't know the exact term but it's where your radio displays the station name instead of just the frequencies, also if you move outside a transmitter area that broadcasts a channel on say 90.4FM, to an area where the same station is situated on 91.2FM, it will automatically tune to the stronger frequency.

On our models we have to do it manually, so when the music starts becoming distorted and patchy we need to scan for the correct channel on the radio ourselves.

I see Wiki has a nice article on it: :link: Radio Data System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I don't know the exact term but it's where your radio displays the station name instead of just the frequencies, also if you move outside a transmitter area that broadcasts a channel on say 90.4FM, to an area where the same station is situated on 91.2FM, it will automatically tune to the stronger frequency.

On our models we have to do it manually, so when the music starts becoming distorted and patchy we need to scan for the correct channel on the radio ourselves.

I see Wiki has a nice article on it: :link: Radio Data System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers mate, sounds like down here on NSW Far South coast, only 2 radio stations.. 2EC and the ABC, repeaters are scace.  We often lose the signal out of town, have to check the i30 see its radio capabalities.  That is what I miss about Sydney all the great radio stations.  Such is life. :(

• FD i30 Trophy

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I hear you...thankfully the i30 has CD, aux and USB capability to see us through! :victory:

We have a few stations down here in PE, but I only listen to the local station (Algoa FM) for traffic reports and the weather and 5FM (national) for music. Algoa FM has this policy where they need to play a single song at least 500 times a week  :disapp:

PS: I am really impressed with the stock sound system in the i30. I loaded one of my Pink Floyd albums on it the other day when I went on a 350km trip out of town...bliss  :mrgreen:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I seemed to have enabled RDS on my 2011 i30!

First, make sure the radio is off and that it is displaying the time and temperature.

Press and hold 1 and 4 for three seconds, then while holding 4, press 1 four times quickly. It should show you your firmware version. Press 6, then use the right side knob to select Europe region and push it in to apply.

It will say erasing settings and restart. It will wipe your current radio settings and stations. After that my RDS worked!

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I seemed to have enabled RDS on my 2011 i30!

First, make sure the radio is off and that it is displaying the time and temperature.

Press and hold 1 and 4 for three seconds, then while holding 4, press 1 four times quickly. It should show you your firmware version. Press 6, then use the right side knob to select Europe region and push it in to apply.

It will say erasing settings and restart. It will wipe your current radio settings and stations. After that my RDS worked!

Good to hear you got it working...  :goodjob2:

Now, please tell me; How did you find out to press the bottons in that sequence... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I found a post somewhere that explained it, but the OP somehow broke his radio doing that sequence. Basically I just fooled around and found out that when you do a certain sequence it allows you to do a few things such as update the firmware via usb or cd etc.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I found a post somewhere that explained it, but the OP somehow broke his radio doing that sequence. Basically I just fooled around and found out that when you do a certain sequence it allows you to do a few things such as update the firmware via usb or cd etc.

It sometimes pays of to be persistent...  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Cheers mate, sounds like down here on NSW Far South coast, only 2 radio stations.. 2EC and the ABC, repeaters are scace.  We often lose the signal out of town, have to check the i30 see its radio capabalities.  That is what I miss about Sydney all the great radio stations.  Such is life. :(

Don't think the Aussie radio networks are set up to support RDS Lester (so doubt Phil's fix will work over here)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Off topic a bit, but anyway, Wabbit, I note you are from Port Elizabeth.  Nice place, we called in there on the Arcadia Ship in April 2010, enroute Sydney to Southampton via the Cape of Good Hope.   Some lovely colonial buildings in PE.  I liked ye olde cricket ground as well. :goodjob2: :offtopic: :wtf:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well I'll be ......ed!  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Who's gonna be first Aussie to try out those button combinations?  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Not much choice for me in Perth.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Off topic a bit, but anyway, Wabbit, I note you are from Port Elizabeth.  Nice place, we called in there on the Arcadia Ship in April 2010, enroute Sydney to Southampton via the Cape of Good Hope.   Some lovely colonial buildings in PE.  I liked ye olde cricket ground as well. :goodjob2: :offtopic: :wtf:
Hey Lester

I was born here in this windy place we call PE, but when I was 13 my parents moved to Port Alfred (about 150km up the coast), and after that I started work in Grahamstown after matric. I moved back to PE beginning of the year for another job opportunity, and I can't say I have gotten used to the wind just yet :sweating:

I stay in Central PE so we are quite near the older buildings and the cricket stadium is about 500m down the road :) but enjoying the stay so far.

Getting back on topic, my region was set to GEN and I changed it to Europe which solved the missing RDS for me. It also unlocked more commands in the radio setup screen such as traffic reports, RDS on or off for different types of broadcasts. I will play around with it a bit today again and try the other regions and see what happens.

But, so far so good - it seems to be working just fine :)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Who's gonna be first Aussie to try out those button combinations?  :whistler:

Not me Rusty, the i30 might self destruct. :blubber: Any chancers ?  :rolleyes:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Oh go on, Lester...take one for the team....  :lol:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Oh go on, Lester...take one for the team....  :lol:

My i30 just blew up, damn RDS.  :lol: :head_butt:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
But did it work?  :confused:  :snigger:
I seem to have lost the ability to turn on my radio by holding in the MODE button on the steering wheel. I can turn it off though. This is after I changed my region from GEN to EUROPE. I tried the CANADA and USA modes as well but their frequencies end on odd numbers and our stations end on even numbers (90.3 vs 90.4 etc.).

It is something I will gladly sacrifice for the ability to use RDS  :goodjob2:

Offline keithk

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Free State
To those who know..
What is actually installed on the radio to pick up RDS signal ( ie. software, chip or a receiver? )

Offline Bleugh

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
it's a mix really,
most FM radio receiver chips have the ability to decode RDS signals nowadays,
it's almost a 'freebie' as it'll be a System On a Chip (SOC) type device

probably some issues with RDS here down under so Hyundai disabled it in software to avoid getting tech support calls for 'iffy' RDS

ah well, there's probably a firmware patch or sequence of keys to press to change the region but I can't find on ethat works in a 2014 i30 with a GD-01 Radio
  • I30 Trophy in Dazzling Blue

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
there's probably a firmware patch or sequence of keys to press to change the region but I can't find one that works in a 2014 i30 with a GD-01 Radio
I think in this case the best bet would to befriend a Hyundai techie or mechanic and see if they know of ways in doing this.

In the FD, you use the hidden menu to do all sorts of things like update the firmware or change regions, so someone at Hyundai must know how to do this with the 2nd gen i30's :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is there a definitive guide to this hidden menu? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In Cruiserfied's head :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline keithk

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Free State
I did the version test and came up with the following. pressing 1 an6 at the same time
V1.03 AUS
BT: V2.4D_ 12123
DSP GD20EG5A
 I am a bit sceptical to do the setup for RDS so to speak as mentioned, What happens if the radio goes bust.
How do I search for the PART and Model number with out taking the radio out to check behind?.
I saw on ebay that RDS radios are available for about 140 pound UK including postage.. But they are not new radios so what does one do?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I did the version test and came up with the following. pressing 1 an6 at the same time
V1.03 AUS
BT: V2.4D_ 12123
DSP GD20EG5A
 I am a bit sceptical to do the setup for RDS so to speak as mentioned, What happens if the radio goes bust.
How do I search for the PART and Model number with out taking the radio out to check behind?.
I saw on ebay that RDS radios are available for about 140 pound UK including postage.. But they are not new radios so what does one do?
Hi Keithk

If RDS means a lot to you (and in SA it probably would), I'd see if I can enable it. The worst that will happen is that it stops working, which might mean a trip to the dealer to see if they can solve it. Just say your kid or grandkid pushed some buttons and it froze up :p

Mine is still set to RDS and loving it, best free mod I have done to the i30 since I bought her :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal