i30 Owners Club

Alarm going off randomly

Offline ninjawithsword

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
      Fiaes, Santa Maria da Feira
Hello everybody, this is my first post all the way from Portugal!

I have been a lurker for a long time but now have a issue of my own...  :D

Since 2-3 weeks ago the i30's alarm goes off randomly, it can happen 2-3 times in 1hour or not happen at all over a longer period.

I have checked the bonnet since it was a little loose and I think the wind made it lift and activate the alarm.
I have repaired it by applying some duct tape on the hook (this was the solution the dealer came up when I complained) and it is now tight.

I had a different issue (or not?) around the same period which was that the horn stopped working, brought it in and the dealer said it was a blow fuse in the box by the engine bay, 30€ since the warranty doesn't cover it.

Has anyone else had this problem before?
Just wanted to check some opinions before heading (again) to the dealer.
  • MY2011 FD i30 CW 1.6 CRDi Style 128bhp 6MT (Continental Silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum:

Can't recall that being reported before on here! So it is completely random, not just when the car is parked up and locked?

I would suspect a loose wire or short somewhere (but could be very hard to isolate!)

Bonnet fix sounds a bit dodgy if you are still under warranty!  :disapp:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like your out of warranty, so I'd be seriously checking the bonnet sensor for a fault, which could also explain the blown fuse.

30.00 Euros to replace a fuse, that dealer is NOT doing you any favours at all, stay away from them.

Fuses rarely blow for no reason, the repairer has not checked to see where the fault lies and has simply taken the easy option. this is not good at all.

Not sure of your skill level, but someone needs to give the car an electrical health check.

BTW, fuses are about AU$2.00 here and simply a push in replacement.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ninjawithsword

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
:welcum:

Can't recall that being reported before on here! So it is completely random, not just when the car is parked up and locked?

I would suspect a loose wire or short somewhere (but could be very hard to isolate!)

Bonnet fix sounds a bit dodgy if you are still under warranty!  :disapp:

Thank you!  :)
I did not express myself correctly, it only happens when the car is parked and locked by pushing the button on the remote (I normally don't lock with the key).
It does not happen every time I lock and after X minutes, it can happen within 10 seconds of locking (has happened) or not go off for an entire night!

Sounds like your out of warranty, so I'd be seriously checking the bonnet sensor for a fault, which could also explain the blown fuse.

30.00 Euros to replace a fuse, that dealer is NOT doing you any favours at all, stay away from them.

Fuses rarely blow for no reason, the repairer has not checked to see where the fault lies and has simply taken the easy option. this is not good at all.

Not sure of your skill level, but someone needs to give the car an electrical health check.

BTW, fuses are about AU$2.00 here and simply a push in replacement.  :disapp:

The i30 still has 18 months of warranty (originally 5 years).

Yeah, when I went to pick up the car the dealer had a network failure so they didn't know the exact price but said it should be between 15-17€, yesterday they called to say it is 30€!
I don't know if it is a "special fuse" but a normal car fuse costs 1/2€ at most!

They said that it isn't normal to blow a fuse like this but checked the electronics and it should be all Ok.
As with everyone else I already had the experience of constantly blowing headlight bulbs, 2 in a week, since then it hasn't happened for a long time.

I will probably try another dealer, the maintenance bills have not been very high but they have dodgy repair procedures (ductape FTW!!)
This is the second dealer I experiment with, the first was even worse albeit they both are from the same mother company, just different locations.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If in warranty, then definitely go to another dealer. If the fuse is considered a consumable, then it's just an ordinary fuse at ordinary fuse price. If they are charging you for labour, that should be a warranty cost, not yours. Get a refund, if they object, tell them you will report this to Hyundai head office.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
One of mine used to do it for ages,it was found to be some chewed wires under the bonnet,thankfully they fixed without charging me,they could have though as it was done by rats
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ninjawithsword

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
If in warranty, then definitely go to another dealer. If the fuse is considered a consumable, then it's just an ordinary fuse at ordinary fuse price. If they are charging you for labour, that should be a warranty cost, not yours. Get a refund, if they object, tell them you will report this to Hyundai head office.

The bill came up to:

Fuse                                                                                           1,45
Labour (Including checking the battery installation):      23,10
Sales tax::                                                                                  5,81
----------------------------------------------------------Total:          31,09€

I can somewhat understand the price because of their high labour cost (I was charged 0,6 units  of an hour), but I told the dealer that it doesn't feel right to pay so much for such a small part exchange...
I'm going to let it pass by now, because I'm tired of having to argue with them every time that I use their services!

One of mine used to do it for ages,it was found to be some chewed wires under the bonnet,thankfully they fixed without charging me,they could have though as it was done by rats

Scheduled an inspection for the 1st of July, I also suspect of faulty wiring or faulty door sensor.
It seems to happen more when there is a lot of wind, let's see what they can find.

Bonus: Picture of my (very dirty) i30 CW with ~80.000Km

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Muito bonito. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:ta: For the bonus picture (they look nice in Silver) :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I said to my son over the dinner table last night "Oh, look, a thread about alarm going off randomly". He replied with a very hurt look while his Mum and girlfriend - not the same person, Dazz/ Fatboy - laughed.

The alarm on his TX3 has been doing that for the last week. :snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I said to my son over the dinner table last night "Oh, look, a thread about alarm going off randomly". He replied with a very hurt look while his Mum and girlfriend - not the same person, Dazz/ Fatboy - laughed.

The alarm on his TX3 has been doing that for the last week. :snigger:
:rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal