i30 Owners Club

Car insurance doubled

John B · 54 · 7093

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Transferred my car insurance with Suncorp  from my 2006 Falcon to my new i30 when I took delivery just over a month ago. As my insurance is due for renewal next month I thought I would get a quote .
Shock horror the quote is $1,158.68  that is over 100 % more than last year. They have not sent out a renewal notice yet so that may be cheaper but I am not holding my breath.I have obtained quotes from five other insurances companies online with the same cover as I have now with the same excess  and they range from $465 to $831.60 ,Youi being the cheapest and Alliance the most expensive. The others are well known companies . Suncorp  management can offer no reason for the increase. I have all house insurances with Suncorp and yet all the other quotes were car insurance only so there would be further discounts with them if I were to change. I have been happy with Suncorp in the three years I have been with them and I could understand a reasonable rise in cost  but this seems over the top with no explanation. :(
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The only thing I can put it down to is...

they have seen some of your jokes on here... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Cheeky bugger,in that case it should be cheaper for the free entertainment. :rofl:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's an insurance company.
They will screw you because they can whenever they can.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

So exactly like any government then,they must be working together.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

With five other companies with lower cost they won't be screwing with this little black duck. their loss. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheeky bugger,in that case it should be cheaper for the free entertainment. :rofl:

:mrgreen:  Only joshing I like your Jokes  (I would have given you a discount)

Watch Youi, they wooed me with a low price than jacked me up 20% on my first Renewal... With RAC now... :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Having been a AAMI customer for decades they did the same thing to me a couple of years ago, surprise surprise they had been taken over by Suncorp.

First year I rang them and they reduced the price sharp. Second year same thing happened, and they showed no interest. Hence I am now with QBE.

I thought the idea was to push the premiums up by a bit, so you would think oh well they would all be the same, and not bother checking.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Watch Youi, they wooed me with a low price than jacked me up 20% on my first Renewal... With RAC now... :goodjob:

Thank's Dazzle yes Youi has already been tossed in the bin ,reviews not to good for them. :fum:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Test the market then go back to them and ask if thet will price match.

If not, goes elsewhere....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Thank's Saracen, tried that hence the research on all the others. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Why bother, you have practically done all the work to switch when you get the price. Switch and teach them a real lesson.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Thank's Saracen, tried that hence the research on all the others. :goodjob2:

It used to be about the music with them...Then Suncorp bought them...

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Thank's Dazzle yes Youi has already been tossed in the bin ,reviews not to good for them. :fum:

Should have mentioned RACQ are looking good, was with RAA in  S.A  for years but thought I would give Suncorp a go when I moved here seeing they were for Queensland.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
We have everything with QBE(for over fifteen years now),we get quite a discount,love their car insurance as well,unlimited glass breakage,which suits me to a tee,Cyril's had four windscreens in three years,Bruce is up for one now,had a chip repaired some time ago but the bloke did say it could crack still and he was right,when the crack gets big enough I'll get it changed
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We're with RACQ. Two cars - my 130 and my wife's Corolla are together way less than your Suncorp quote. Just over $800.
But we also have our house and contents insurance with them and my wife is a Gold Member and we get a Seniors' discount.
We were with Suncorp before we moved to Sydney and they were by far the cheapest (1993). But at that stage they weren't in NSW and we went to AAMI. Only changed to RACQ about 5 years ago when AAMI started getting too expensive.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found Allianz the cheapest, no one else could match their price... $528 full comprehensive with unlimited all glass cover and no claim bonus protection plus 3 years new car replacement.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I found Allianz the cheapest, no one else could match their price... $528 full comprehensive with unlimited all glass cover and no claim bonus protection plus 3 years new car replacement.

Just be careful you don't do too many mods on your i30 though.. We were with them when we had our 2008 i30. They refused to insure me when I put a sports exhaust on it! So we swapped to a broker (who was an agent for them) and ended up paying roughly the same... :head_butt:

They are quite picky who or what they will ensure (which keeps their premiums down I guess!) :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Just be careful you don't do too many mods on your i30 though.. We were with them when we had our 2008 i30. They refused to insure me when I put a sports exhaust on it! So we swapped to a broker (who was an agent for them) and ended up paying roughly the same... :head_butt:

They are quite picky who or what they will ensure (which keeps their premiums down I guess!) :undecided:
That's strange they refused you, I did ask them about whether they would cover mods they I my do in the future such as spoiler kits - lowering - and exhaust and she said it wouldn't be a problem, if they did have a change of face then I'd change over to Shannons as their quote was only $30 more.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's strange they refused you, I did ask them about whether they would cover mods they I my do in the future such as spoiler kits - lowering - and exhaust and she said it wouldn't be a problem, if they did have a change of face then I'd change over to Shannons as their quote was only $30 more.

This was 5 or 6 years ago, just get the OK before you do each mod... :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
ilike NRMA but it's really IAG.

A lot of people tell me Shannons are the cheapest but i think Suncorp own them too.

Coles insurance cheap too.

I won't use Alliance

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Have you tried Apia, John? I find them to be pretty good....  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
just get the OK before you do each mod... :cool:
Allianz covered my HSV with more mods than I could list and a stroker motor so it shouldn't be an issue, it mostly comes down to driver and accident history as that will determine whether they class you as a liability to them.

If and when I do a mod... if they didn't like it then to bad for them as they'll be the one's losing a customer, Shannons will cover absolutely everything and anything as my old Mini Clubman that I used for hill climb events was insured through them :) 

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Thanks Rusty, did get a quote from them they were midway on cost from the others. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks Rusty, did get a quote from them they were midway on cost from the others. :goodjob2:
APIA is owned by Suncorp.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

just get the OK before you do each mod... :cool:
Allianz covered my HSV with more mods than I could list and a stroker motor so it shouldn't be an issue, it mostly comes down to driver and accident history as that will determine whether they class you as a liability to them.

That was the stupid part.. Two drivers in their early 50's with clean driving licences and many years of accident free motoring..  :head_butt:

Anyway, found a way around it... :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

APIA is owned by Suncorp.

And they don't like paying out on claims.
Only had two claims with them over several years and they refused to pay both.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You hear horror stories about all the insurance companies... :undecided:

All I know is that I've been able to negotiate my cover and premiums and they've been quite reasonable to talk to.
Never had a claim so can't comment as to how they payout...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Insurance is a necessary evil in my opinion.
You pay it and hope you never have to use it.

But you can't blame them for the premiums they charge. They are a business and as such can charge whatever they like. That's free enterprise. The second part of that is that we DO have some choice as to who to go with.

I would be really pissed if I was with one of the majors and they refused to pay out on some technicality, as in (I think) Doggie's case. And I sure wouldn't just roll over and cop it.

But, as  I say, business is business. They're there to make money for their investors/ owners and try to keep their customers happy at the least cost to themselves.

Did you see what I did there?   :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal