i30 Owners Club

2.0 CRDi owners, dip/jerky at 1.5-2.5k revs?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
I've noticed on my 2008 2.0 CRDi around 1.5-2.5k revs, especially in second gear, sometimes I notice a bit of a dip or jerk in the power. It won't happen if I've got my foot to the floor only if I'm accelerating gently. It starts accelerating then when it hits 1.5k it slows and jerks a bit until about 2.5k when suddenly it 'kicks' in again. Anyone else get this?
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Turbo lag.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Now we know where all the Diesel pollution is coming from in the UK.  :snigger:

The turbo fitted to the i30 has variable vane capability. To achieve this, the outer vanes move to redirect air efficiently but only from information received as engine speed builds. Perhaps this system should be checked for correct operation.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Being quite the car enthusiast and having built engines I (hope) I know what turbo lag feels like and this is definitely not it. It's not where I plant the pedal and wait for the turbo to spin, if I held the pedal say mid way down in a constant position, when the revs get to 1.5k it almost struggles and jerks until it gets up to 2.5k then it comes back to life!

Maybe a trip to the dealer... its only on 39k!
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've noticed on my 2008 2.0 CRDi around 1.5-2.5k revs, especially in second gear, sometimes I notice a bit of a dip or jerk in the power. It won't happen if I've got my foot to the floor only if I'm accelerating gently. It starts accelerating then when it hits 1.5k it slows and jerks a bit until about 2.5k when suddenly it 'kicks' in again. Anyone else get this?

Unfortunately, we only have a handful of 2.0 CRDi owners on here (probably only 2 or 3 are active)

Your mileage is pretty low for the age of the vehicle.

Hopefully  the dealer can help..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Being quite the car enthusiast and having built engines I (hope) I know what turbo lag feels like and this is definitely not it. It's not where I plant the pedal and wait for the turbo to spin, if I held the pedal say mid way down in a constant position, when the revs get to 1.5k it almost struggles and jerks until it gets up to 2.5k then it comes back to life!

Maybe a trip to the dealer... its only on 39k!

Don't forget the turbo cuts in at 1900....so anything below that is non turbo

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Hi I had a 2008 CRDi 5 speed that would do that in 3rd gear, like u said not turbo lag it was just a quirk of that early hy or KIA diesel, then I got a 2011 CRDi 6speed U2  1.6 & that never happened in that also torque delivery much better think that motor has different injectors higher fuel pressure
Forgot my two CRDi's both 1.6 but first one had that exact prob u describe & others mentioned it in the past. Too. I hated that as would happen a bit & if u had people with you they noticed. No other Diesel I've driven did that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 22:53:37 by Lakes »

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Doesn't sound like a fault as such.

I was thinking about having it remapped (economy map as opposed to performance map) so maybe I'll mention it and see if they can sort it there
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like a plan...   :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal