Frequency Of Oil Changes

AlanHo · 26 · 9010

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In various threads the subject of how frequently it is necessary to change engine oil - this is my take on the subject.

A few years back I had a company car and the firms fleet of lorries and cars were serviced in our own workshop. I was engineering manager and it came under my wing.

Shell supplied all lubricants to the company - for the light machinery, heavy rolling mills and vehicles. Every 3 months samples were taken and laboratory tested to determine when the oil in a machine or vehicle needed to be changed - (or additives added in the case of large machines).

In those days the owners manual for the petrol cars specified an oil change every 7,500 or 10,000 miles.  The lab tests regularly found that the engine oil, though black, was still fit for purpose at more than 15,000 miles. I had a 28 mile commute to work in those days on main highways and my cars usually had an oil change at around 25,000 miles - on just one occasion it went beyond 30,000 miles. Our diesel lorries which had a recommended oil change at between 5000 to 10,000 miles, often did 35,000 miles before the lab tests indicated an oil change was needed.

Now, as a private owner without the facility of an oil lab doing such tests, I comply with the owners manual whilst the car is under warranty - even though I am quite sure that this is not strictly necessary because I do regular long fast runs.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I agree that oil change is far too frequent but with no points to change and spark plugs only changes every xx thou miles, money has to be made elsewhere.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I'm sure you've shared these insights with us previously Alan, but don't worry because I too am becoming forgetful, so it was mildly interesting to read it again  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Actually service intervals/oil changes are now further apart than what they used to be - 7500km recommended but 15000km required as apposed to years ago the suggested intervals were 5000km recommended 10000km required.

Oils being better these days enable the longer service intervals but even with my RP oil which guarantee's 19200km I still prefer to do my 10000km changes, definitely wouldn't be ever letting it go past the required 15000km though.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Now I am retired the Ks I do are very low. I have had my i30 since the end of April and have only done 1600 Ks , that being the case I am thinking of at least getting an oil change every 6 months.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Now I am retired the Ks I do are very low. I have had my i30 since the end of April and have only done 1600 Ks , that being the case I am thinking of at least getting an oil change every 6 months.

Same story here mate, I only do about 10,000 km per annum in the i30, so get the oil and filter changed once a year at the local Hyundai dealer.   We also have a 2011 Nissan Micra ST-L, the boss's shopping trolley, do about 7,000 km a year in it, get that serviced once a year at local Nissan dealer.    Nissan want you to service every 6 months, balderdash. :whistler:

Going out to Broken Hill in a few weeks, that will put 2000km on the i30. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:29:06 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm pretty much the same too.
I've only done 84,000 kms in twenty one months in the i30.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'm sure you've shared these insights with us previously Alan, but don't worry because I too am becoming forgetful, so it was mildly interesting to read it again 

asa
There is nowt wrong with your memory. I stuck my oar in yet again because oil changes have been mentioned randomly in various threads recently - sometimes slightly off-topic. With this thread I provided the opportunity for a concentrated diatribe.

It's slightly safer than spouting on about politics :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I've always believed in servicing according to the manufacturer's schedule.  I've decided, though, to stick with the 15000km service intervals for my i30, because the manual describes the intermediate services as 'optional' or 'for harsh conditions'.  My regular commute is a flat and easy 19km each way, most of which is done over 90km/h on motorway.  I take it easy while the engine is cold and don't drive hard even when it's not.  I occasionally tow a light box trailer.

My car has as easy a life as I think a car can have.  15000 km per year in easy, free flowing traffic, mostly above 80km/h.

Incidentally my i30 tourer is 7 months old today, and has just ticked up 8500km.  Still faultless, economy is great and I'm very happy with it.
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I'm pretty much the same too.
I've only done 84,000 kms in twenty one months in the i30.  :neutral:

Crikey, 84,000 clicks in less than two years, nearly time for a new engine old son. :Shocked:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good Point Allan, i think we need to take into account the Harsh Aussie climate in summer.
i change at 5000k & use non synthetic . but do my own services now.
if i had to have the oil tested it would cost more than the oil. so not worth it small scale.

i'm retired & have done 5,000 in past two months  :Shocked:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

i change at 5000k & use non synthetic .

Non synthetic :confused: shouldn't you be using full synthetic :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As I do the kms quickly, I change at 15,000 and use fully synthetic.
My car has an easy life too, mostly freeway kms.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Lakes has  a Diesel Hi-lux now...  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I do between 1350 to 1700 K's a week,I have all the majors done by my mech and I do the optional services,,for the sake of an extra $70 for oil and filter on the optional or the motor,cheap insurance,I only left one of mine to go 15,000 before and I found towards the 24000 to 14,500 mark it was starting to get a little rattly
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Lakes has  a Diesel Hi-lux now...  :winker:
Ok, I'd still use synthetic in that as well, its a better oil for everything unless the car isn't worth the oil your putting in it :whistler:

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
As a point of interest, how many owners start their car and then get out to have a listen to the engine?
From the driver's seat, Mrs 1.8 petrol sounds sweet, but I go out to the front to hear the knocks.
This is from a cold start, once warmed up it's good so I guess they're using hyperutectic pistons or such which flop about when cold and take up the clearances once warm.
Meanwhile my 25 year old Skyline is sweet as.
  • i-30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Er, not me  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Have to manually close our roller door after backing the car out and the cold start engine rattle/knock is very pronounced.
Holding the clutch down on engine start with no oil pressure is also not too clever for the crank's thrust bearing.
Some "safety" ideas should never get off the drawing board.
  • i-30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have to manually close our roller door after backing the car out and the cold start engine rattle/knock is very pronounced.
Holding the clutch down on engine start with no oil pressure is also not too clever for the crank's thrust bearing.
Some "safety" ideas should never get off the drawing board.
Maybe and, having always started my manual cars in neutral, without depressing the clutch, because that's what I was taught, it took a while to get used to HAVING to depress the clutch to start.
But having said that, My car is now nearly 5 years old and no clutch problems. More importantly, over the years being involved in servicing all types of cars, I've never found any indication that this requirement has had a detrimental effect on Hyundai clutches/ throwout bearings or the engine in any way.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Well I hope so.
Wifey's car came with noisy throw out bearing from day one and duly logged.
Only on first start so couldn't be repeated at the dealer.
After about 30,000k's noise went away.
Clutch is getting occasionally jumpy though so I guess all will be revealed shortly.

• i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've always started my cars with the clutch depressed and never a problem in doing so in 27 years with 23 different cars :)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Thanks for the reply Craig, but hardly the endorsement I was looking for, the same car for 27 years…now you're talking.
Not to worry, I've no doubt all will be revealed in due course.

• i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

25 years is how long I owned my Mini :)

Do we have photos for the "Member's Other Motors" section?   
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
25 years is how long I owned my Mini :)

Do we have photos for the "Member's Other Motors" section?
Yes, just seen your post a bit earlier so I went hunting for photos :link: My old Mini ( the beast )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal