i30 Owners Club

Motorhome Relocation - Darwin to Brisbane

FatBoy · 23 · 10382

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Well, as some of you may have noticed (more than likely not), I haven't been very active on the forum in the last week or so.  At short notice, the wife and I decided to conduct a Motorhome Relocation from Darwin to Brisbane.  It was a quick trip, but we wanted to see what it was like, and whether we would do it again.

We picked a six-berth motorhome to do the trip in, so that the FatKids could have a bed each.  The deal we got was $1 per day for the first six days, then $75 for the last day.  It also included $500 refund for fuel (against receipts).  We put a couple of extras on the motorhome, mainly to reduce the liability, and to make it a bit more comfortable (doona, pillows, towels).

We flew up to Darwin from Hobart on the Thursday, with a six hour layover in Sydney (thank goodness for the Qantas Club) and picked up the van on the Friday morning.  First stop was to stock up on breakfast gear and coffee / tea.  As we were going to be on the road for most of each day, we decided to eat at a roadhouse for lunch and find somewhere for dinner.  In case we couldn't find anywhere for dinner, we bought some sausages, bread, salad, etc.

First day was to Katherine, where we parked up in one of the caravan parks, close to the Katherine Thermal Springs.  We had a good swim there that afternoon and then back to the caravan park for another swim and dinner.

Up the next morning for a drive to Threeways (just north of Tennant Creek).  We paid a visit to the Daly Waters Hotel on the way down, which is the oldest licenced pub in the NT.  Knowing now what we do, we would have pushed onto Barkly Homestead instead of stopping at Threeways.  Threeways Roadhouse advertised a pool, but when we turned up it was green and unswimmable.  Also, the Army was in town and took up all of the grass spots, so parked in the red dust we did.

Next day we drove to Mt Isa via the Barkly Highway.  A most enjoyable drive.  You really do get to appreciate the "big sky" of the outback on that road.

After that it was a drive to Longreach, where we planned to spend two nights.  Mainly so we could visit the Qantas Founders Museum.  During the drive we went through a town called McKinlay, which is the home of the Walkabout Creek Hotel from the Crocodile Dundee movie.  We stopped there at about 10:20am, so we thought it would be rude of us not to have a beer.  So Mrs FatBoy and I had a beer each!!

Longreach was a nice break in the drive.  The Qantas Museum was a great way to spend a day.  We all went on the VIP Jet Tour (through the 747 and 707), and the youngest son and I also did the "Wing Walk".  The tour guide was very informative, if a little inaccurate with their workings of the avionics (only an aviator would pick them up) e.g. calling High Frequency Radio, Low Frequency; and some of the aircraft parts in the yard.  I questioned her about the ex RAAF Boeing 707 tail in the yard, which she replied that it was from an Air France aircraft.  I showed her the RAAF Registration and Tail Number, and told her that the French Flag on the tail, wasn't a French Flag but the RAAF Tail Flash.  To her credit, she said that she would amend her talk from now on.

The following day was to Rockhampton, where I caught up with a former colleague. 

The final day was a drive down the Bruce Goat Track to Brisbane.  We nearly didn't make it as the VW van that we had kept popping out of automatic mode and into manual, and then wouldn't change gears.  It must have been designed by Bill Gates as it was like a big computer, we pulled over, turned it off, then back on again, and it seemed to work.

All in all, a great trip, but next time we would take more time.  I will post some photos when I get them downloaded onto my laptop.  Total distance covered was 3,600 km, with a fuel bill of $950 (most expensive was $2.099 per litre at Barkly Roadhouse).  We get back $500, so not that expensive really.  We also got to see places that we hadn't been before.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Sounds great. Years and years ago I met Stig Blomqvist at the Walkabout Creek hotel at McKinlay. We had to turn around after getting bogged on the hilariously named Landsborough Highway. A fairly decent storm made it impassable to all but Stig who just drove around us in his VOLVO and kept going. Eventually we got back there to the hotel and there he was.

What the "highway" looked like back then.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:19:24 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant: Jamie and thanks for the side story Keith... :goodjob:

Sounded like a great trip .. Did Mrs Fatboy and the fatkids enjoy it too?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds interesting, Jamie.
I could have told you about the Three Ways. Tennant Creek is only 25 klms south and plenty of options there. I've been to Barkly Homestead. Great stopover but I've heard some terrible stories about the management ther - borne out by the way he reponds on the web to complaints.  :fum:

Watch this space.  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's great recounting, Mr Jamie FatFlyBoy :)

Personally, I don't have the planning patience to organise a trip like that so I doubly admire your get-up-and-go abilities, especially as you say at short notice.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
That's great recounting, Mr Jamie FatFlyBoy :)

Personally, I don't have the planning patience to organise a trip like that so I doubly admire your get-up-and-go abilities, especially as you say at short notice.

:whsaid:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Here is the van on the first day with the youngest FatKid outside.  The company's stickers had been removed as we found out that the van was up for sale when we returned it the Brisbane.

Here is the inside of the van.  It was a six-berth with internal shower and toilet (which we didn't need to use). 

Katherine River.  We were advised not to swim in it (even though some of the locals were) as some Salt Water Crocodiles had been sighted recently.

The youngest in front of a sad looking aircraft at Renner Springs (nothing more than a fuel stop and caravan park).

The Stuart Highway.  Not much traffic, but we did see a few road trains.

Sunrise at Threeways Roadhouse.

One of the many road trains at Threeways Roadhouse.

Sunrise at Mt Isa.

The FatFamily at a Bourke and Wills marker on the Barkly Highway just near Cloncurry.

The FatKids near one of the many termite mounds in the north of Australia.  These were no means the biggest, but they were the ones with the easiest access for the RV.

Walkabout Creek Hotel.

The original Qantas hangar in Longreach.

The youngest at the controls of a Qantas Boeing 747-200, now a museum piece.

The Qantas Boeing 707 taken from the wing of the 747.

The 747 from the carpark.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Great pics.  :goodjob2: :ta:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Loved the report and the pictures
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What they said Jamie.. thanks.. :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is there a website to avail oneself of these cheap vans?

Looks like you had a lot of fun.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
To our European member's, you know you want to drive on the lovely Stuart highway. No traffic worries here fellas. :whistler:

Here's another look,

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
To our European member's, you know you want to drive on the lovely Stuart highway. No traffic worries here fellas. :whistler:

Here's another look,

That was a busy part of the highway too!!  It had one motorhome on it.  We would drive for literally (not metaphorically) 15 - 20 minutes without passing traffic!!

Is there a website to avail oneself of these cheap vans?

Looks like you had a lot of fun.

I went here:

:link: Campervan Hire Australia and Motorhome Rentals from Apollo Motorhomes

Have a look at the Relocation Specials page (there is a button about halfway down on the right hand side).

Otherwise there is this website:

:link: Imoova.com - Car Relocations, Car Rentals & Motorhomes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As you know Jamie, I have always had a high opinion of you... Well now that opinion has been even further inflated.. us penny pinching tight arses are a special breed! :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excuse me,  :foottap:

How much have you spent in the last week.  :Jaw:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Only about $48K :whistler: But I don't do it every week! :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :faint:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Nice one, Jamie.   :goodjob:
I was talking to someone the other day about these camper van relocations.
Wouldn't mind trying one. :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

$48K?  I spill more than that on a night on the p1ss!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

$48K?  I spill more than that on a night on the p1ss!!!
:rofl: probably only a few weeks wages for you! :goodjob:

You are a bit of a commode fan aren't you? Will have to bring it down to show you guys sometime...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looks like you've had a nice trip with the Family.  :goodjob2:

Would love to explore your lovely country one day and I think a motorhome is the right way to do it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal