Air-powered car edges closer

eye30 · 16 · 2436

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fancy a car that runs on thin air? We all would, and Peugeot is almost ready to turn it from science-fiction to science-fact.

The firm is ready to actually demonstrate its Hybrid Air technology, where a 208 supermini runs partly on petrol and partly on compressed air, resulting in astonishing fuel economy figures topping 140mpg.

A compressed air tank beneath the boot stores energy, while clever engine management swaps between petrol and air to achieve maximum efficiency. At times, particularly in urban environments, the engine can run on air alone. At these times there are no CO2 emissions and no fuel is consumed.

:link: Air-powered car edges closer - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Cool but bet it will be as expensive as all get out
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Problem is, storing enough compressed air to be worthwhile. I wouldn't want to be sitting on top of the cylinder in a prang, especially if there's a fuel fire, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Problem is, storing enough compressed air to be worthwhile. I wouldn't want to be sitting on top of the cylinder in a prang, especially if there's a fuel fire, too.

I really don't think you would have to worry  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

So, Phil, you feel comfortable sitting on a fuel bomb which is a tank filled with highly explosive material, but not on a tank filled with fresh air !!!!!!

Ya got me beat there Phil.

In less that ten thousand words explain the logic behind that remark  :faint: :faint: :faint: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :scared: :scared: :scared: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes there are risks with all fuels and Diesel is no exception. However, it's flash point gives me a reasonable chance of escape and survival. Diesel is adequately contained in a non pressure vessel, whereas air must be contained in a thick walled, heavy container with a distinct preference to emptying itself at any opportunity. As the contents is an oxidizer, in the presence of any flame, well, you know the rest.

72 words, not including these.  :snigger:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yes there are risks with all fuels and Diesel is no exception. However, it's flash point gives me a reasonable chance of escape and survival. Diesel is adequately contained in a non pressure vessel, whereas air must be contained in a thick walled, heavy container with a distinct preference to emptying itself at any opportunity. As the contents is an oxidizer, in the presence of any flame, well, you know the rest.

72 words, not including these.  :snigger:

But Phil. Pressurized air is in common usage world wide, this is not new technology.   Scuba, hospitals, garages why even in my puny little garage I have a compressor with a tank full of air attached.
Nah, I am sure there would be no problems.
But if you can highlight some real dangers I stand to be corrected  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
With the exception of scuba, the other systems are static. Being in transit, increases risk and if the pressure's high enough in the containment vessel, it could be dangerous. but if you're comfortable with it, then be my guest.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
We'll have to see how it all pans out Phil  :goodjob:

Back in the day 'when I were a lad...'  The hospital porters used to deliver the O2 and aneasthetic gasses in huge cylinders and one would see them pushing the trolly across the yard with a fag (cigarette) hanging out of the corner of their mouth, health and safety, gerraway with ya it hadn't been heard of then.

EEeehhh it were grand when I were a lad....    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Life was so much simpler in those days. Did they allow smoking in the wards, hopefully not. :question:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Life was so much simpler in those days. Did they allow smoking in the wards, hopefully not. :question:

Aye they sure did....   and if you were high enough up the greasy pole to get into Sisters office you would almost choke to death on the fag (cigarette) smoke.

BUT, the visitors weren't allowed to smoke, we had to draw the line somewhere  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh and ya couldn't smoke during the doctors rounds circa 'James Robertson Justice' style.

I dropped a major bollock during such a round.  I was tagging along ordered to do so by SISTER and things were getting a bit boring when we arrived at the bedside of a lady, she was a revolving door patient who came in each few weeks for some packed red cells and a quick review.  She had one of the leukemic blood disorders. 
Well the head honcho checked her notes and charts then his eyes lit up when he read something about her discoloured (black) urine and he fixed his gaze on the three 'house officers'  (very junior doctors, the lowest of the low) and asked them to name another disorder in which the urine becomes so discoloured.    The three retched doctors shuffled their feet and coughed and clearly were frightened to death of making themselves appear to be idiots when I, very foolishly, stepped forward and did a polite cough.
This very large, very senior consultant, said, who are you, I said 'a student nurse sir...'
Alright he said, lets have your opinion then,  I said 'Blackwater fever Sir, because the red cells get destroyed and discoloure the urine'
Correct says he, then layed into the HO's.
At this point I caught sight of Sister GLARING at me and realised I had stepped over a line <sigh.
But I had only read it the very night before and I was young and wanted to show off.
Sister gave me a right royal rollicking and drew my attention to the fact that, whilst we may only see the Consultant once or twice a week, his HO's would be on the ward every day.... 

How things have changed, I haven't smoked now for what seems a lifetime, in fact for some poor souls it would be more than a lifetime.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Asa,

From reading the above i bet you had a very "hands on" bedside manner with a certain type of inmate, i mean patient......
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Aye they sure did....   and if you were high enough up the greasy pole to get into Sisters office you would almost choke to death on the fag (cigarette) smoke.

BUT, the visitors weren't allowed to smoke, we had to draw the line somewhere  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh and ya couldn't smoke during the doctors rounds circa 'James Robertson Justice' style.

I dropped a major bollock during such a round.  I was tagging along ordered to do so by SISTER and things were getting a bit boring when we arrived at the bedside of a lady, she was a revolving door patient who came in each few weeks for some packed red cells and a quick review.  She had one of the leukemic blood disorders. 
Well the head honcho checked her notes and charts then his eyes lit up when he read something about her discoloured (black) urine and he fixed his gaze on the three 'house officers'  (very junior doctors, the lowest of the low) and asked them to name another disorder in which the urine becomes so discoloured.    The three retched doctors shuffled their feet and coughed and clearly were frightened to death of making themselves appear to be idiots when I, very foolishly, stepped forward and did a polite cough.
This very large, very senior consultant, said, who are you, I said 'a student nurse sir...'
Alright he said, lets have your opinion then,  I said 'Blackwater fever Sir, because the red cells get destroyed and discoloure the urine'
Correct says he, then layed into the HO's.
At this point I caught sight of Sister GLARING at me and realised I had stepped over a line <sigh.
But I had only read it the very night before and I was young and wanted to show off.
Sister gave me a right royal rollicking and drew my attention to the fact that, whilst we may only see the Consultant once or twice a week, his HO's would be on the ward every day.... 

How things have changed, I haven't smoked now for what seems a lifetime, in fact for some poor souls it would be more than a lifetime.

So, what was your relationship with the Ho's like, after that  :question:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Kept my head down and got transferred to casualty for a spell...   As a student I could request experience in different areas  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
He he he  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal