i30 Owners Club

Surferdude follows in Fat Boy's tracks.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ironically, as Jamie posted his motorhome trip details, I got confirmation that my daughter was returning from Darwin. Some of you may remember she went up there last November to work. Her intention was a couple of years to get some remote experience but because they gave her a couple of different sets of repsonsiblities while she was there, the experience all happened pretty quickly. Then her previous employer wanted her back asap.
So I flew up and we loaded her car 2012 Accent and drove back. On the trip up, the load was basically equal to 4 adults but we far exceeded that on the way back. Still the car performed flawlessly and pulled up hills in fifth with no real loss of power.
The trip up was 3½ days (3,600 klms), but we determined to see more and take our time on the way home. So the return trip took twice as long.
Basically we spent a day in Litchfiled National Park (including a beer in the Rum Jungle Tavern, before we left. And a day or two with me seeing some parts of Darwin I'd missed last year.
Then we drove from Darwin to Kakadu (stayed in the Crocodile Resort - Mercure). Visited some aboriginal art sites, the old Humpty Doo rice project area and did a Croc feeding tour on the Adelaide River.
Next day, to Katherine, via a nice swimming hole. Then a dinner cruise in the Katherine Gorge. Next day we went to Mataranka Hot Springs (another swim - 32° water) and the Daly Waters Pub (another beer).
On to Tennant Creek and the Devils Marbles. And the alien capital of Australia, Wycliff Well ( Don't waste your time with THAT one).
Next day back along the Barkly Highway via the Barkly Homestead, to Mt Isa where we caught up with some friends of Kylie who are teachers out there.
On to Longreach and thanks to Fat Boy's recommendation we did the QANTAS Museum tour - including the wing walk with a lovely local lady called Sarah. On this tour we were talking to an couple who it turned out were driving their daughter's car up to Darwin for her. Kylie said, "you daughter isn't Hannah is she?". Yep. Kylie and Hannah did their degree together and Hannah has been working in WA and is just moving to Darwin because a job had opened up in NT Health for her. Guess who created the vacancy?  Super small world isn't it?
From there on it was just a matter of staying off the wild life and we stayed the last night in Gin Gin before an easy drive home.

I'll post pics over the next few days.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Nice trip, can't wait for the pics.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done Trev (sounds great)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Trev  :goodjob2:

@ Dazz. You have a very big one.
My signature is much smaller than yours.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Outside Kylie's unit. 7am Sunday. Went out for a walk and to look for a coffee. But this was going on. Yes. One side of that unit is jacked up hydraulically to clear parked cars. The team with it went along cutting off all the roadside speed and advisory signs which were too high. They were replaced by that afternoon.

Some Darwin scenes (Around Nightcliffe a northern suburb).
SUP riders are everywhere these days, despite deadly stingers, crocs often seen on the beach - and no waves.  :disapp:

This tree's days are numbered. Great colour in the cliffs though.

This tree's days are even more (or less) numbered.

Oil rig (I guess) on its way to or from somewhere. Anchored out in the bay while I was there.

Spur wing plover nesting on the footpath just 6' from the passing trffic. There were 4 eggs under her. We saw them when she and her partner decided to "discourage" us using that side of the road.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Craig. Great memories associated with them.
More to come.
Litchfield National Park.
Adelaide River croc cruise etc.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Love that first photo (quite a moving experience!)  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Great photos, Trev.  I found the drive very enjoyable, particularly the Barkly Highway.

The photo of the oil rig (yes, it is) is a semi-submersible oil rig.  They are mainly used for exploration work, not production.  They float them, tow them to where they are needed, and then semi-sink them, secure them to the ocean bed, and then start drilling.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal