i30 Owners Club

Just ordered a manual SLX CRDi

Blue · 36 · 7170

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Hi all, we live in Newcastle (oz) and couldn't get a manual SLX from anywhere. Klosters Hamilton found a black one in Melbourne for us, they are shipping it up.  AND... nice touch by the dealer, they are giving us a loaner car until the i30 arrives.

Woohoo !!!  Been waiting a while to get an i30.  
Our other car was totalled by a semi trailer last weekend and forced our hand (hence the requirement for a loaner too !)

I have to give the dealer a plug here, well done guys !!!! (ask for Andrew Jones !!!)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice to have you on board Blue :)

Sounds like your dealer is the bizz :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Thanks Shambles, yeah they have been great !

Pip
Our other car was totalled by a semi trailer last weekend...
I trust you and yours were unhurt - pity about the car but!

Funny you should mention semis (articulated lorry).  In the six months I've had my i30, I've literally been run off the road twice by an overtaking B-double.  That's two trailers for those in countries that don't have them.

Welcome, and hope you enjoy your i30 and share some knowledge and experiences with us.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome Blue :D :D :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Thanks for the warm welcome guys....

Yes Pip we are ok, and as it happens, it was actually a B-Double that hit us !!! On the New England highway near Maitland. 

Scariest 20 seconds of my life !

Pip
Thanks for the warm welcome guys....

Yes Pip we are ok, and as it happens, it was actually a B-Double that hit us !!! On the New England highway near Maitland. 

Scariest 20 seconds of my life !

In the more serious of the two that happened to me I was squeezed between the white posts at the side of the road and the second trailer as it cut into my lane.  I just managed with very hard braking to get behind the trailer without hitting either, by inches.  I thought I did a great job in the circumstance but was roundly abused by my co-driver for nearly killing her... sheesh.  :rolleyes:

It's as if the driver forgot about the second trailer hanging out the back there.  Needless to say I'm very wary of them now, as I'm sure you are!  :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome,blue. :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
pip,lucky abs and stability control is standard!
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
pip,lucky abs and stability control is standard!

Yes, I thought so too but AFAIK neither cut in.  I've never had a car with ABS so my driving experience to-date makes me very conscious of not locking the brakes which probably means I had more (electronics) in reserve.  I like to think I made a controlled braking manoeuvre instead of an emergency one. :P   

Apologies... this thread is supposed to be about welcoming our new member, Blue.

Offline Homer

• 2nd Gear
G'day Blue, I bought my i30 from the same dealer. You probably saw mine there coz i only picked it up today. Mine was the SLX CRDi manual in the showroom.

Great to have another novacastrian!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A very warm welcome Blue..

Just a couple of questions...

What sort of car got written off ..?

and

are you getting a Diesel or a Petrol?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Well, yes Homer, I saw your car in there.. in fact, I think I sat in it !!!  Maybe even kicked the tyres, it had a sold sign on it. Oops, sorry.
They really looked after me.  I cannot sing their praises high enough.

Dazz.  Hi. I have been watching this forum for ... well for ever.
The car we just lost was a KIA cerato, and I tell you, if the new one had this 1.6Ltr Diesel Hyundai engine it, I probably would have bought it...
and that answers the second question, I bought the CRDi.  I drove everything I could before I made my decision and I swear the i30 diesel engine is the best oiler available in Australia today!

Oh, and just to add value to another thread of yours I read... we bought two too (HA!). My daughter bought a petrol SX at the same time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz.  Hi. i have been watching this forum for ... well for ever.
The car we just lost was a KIA cerato, and I tell you, if the new one had this 1.6Ltr Diesel Hyundai engine it, I probably would have bought it...
and that answers the second question, I bought the CRDi.  I drove everything I could before I made my decision and I swear the i30 diesel engine is the best oiler available in Australia today!

Oh, and just to add value to another thread of yours I read... we bought two too (HA!). My daughter bought a petrol SX at the same time.

Hi Blue,

Somewhere on here is a thread about the new Kia Cerato..

My friend who talked me into buying a CRDi in March last year couldn't get a good enough deal on a CW (that he had been waiting for) so he ended up buying a Kia Cerato which he is reasonably happy with except he would have liked the diesel motor that we have...

I have driven it but even with 114kw or so it doesn't drive like our 1.6 diesels  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome blue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Welcome Blue from another Newcastle-ite, hope to see you around.

Regards

Daniel

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome. Great choice too. Crdi SLX manual!
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
To all those welcomers I haven't thanked yet...
Cheers.

Not only is it a great car, this is a great community.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not only is it a great car, this is a great community.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

Our members are a great bunch..

If you ever need help with a problem or any info just ask... :wink:

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
My Daughter picked up her car this morning, a Steel Grey Petrol SX Manual Hatch.  She LOVES it.

Still no sign of the SLX CRDi though !!!!!! 

Is it here yet? 

Is it here yet? 

Now?  No??

How about now???

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Still no sign of the SLX CRDi though !!!!!! 

Is it here yet? 

Is it here yet? 

Now?  No??

How about now???

:lol:  They say patience is a virtue....

Well, like yourself, I have no virtue :D

Offline ivana

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Well, yes Homer, I saw your car in there.. in fact, I think I sat in it !!!  Maybe even kicked the tyres, it had a sold sign on it. Oops, sorry.
They really looked after me.  I cannot sing their praises high enough.

Dazz.  Hi. I have been watching this forum for ... well for ever.

ill agree with you there blue-

im also from newy, drove everything and went back and got a silver sx crdi from klosters too. It was the diesel engine. Its so much more fun to drive than anything else. and looks better than a carolla would ever be irregardless of the colour.

my only complaint is that when they said the car was ready for pickup it wasn't really- mats and headlight protectors were not at the dealership and the windows were not tinted. But the sales guy was great. Andrew got me an excellent deal

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Well, just picked it up... I love it !!!!!
Ha, I bought this car for the Mrs... I don't think she is going to get to drive it for a LOOOONG while yet... not till I get sick of that brilliant turbo boost...  and I reckon that could be around 2012.....   

That's it, I am NEVER going back to petrol ever again.

Offline jasonw

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• i30cw CRDi 1.6 Auto Vivid Blue
Hey blue i am waiting for my Blue CW to turn up (Apparently docking on 29th) and it's a diesel, every post you guys with Diesels post makes me envious. Bought a Diesel based on the posts here as i have not actually driven one due to lack of stock and popularity.

can anyone describe the difference to the Petrol because i did drive one of those and the power was good, same really as the V6 Tucson i have at present.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Hi Jason...

First of all , I want to say BOTH engines are good. They both do good things, but they do them differently.

The CRDi delivers its torque very early in the rev range.  Because of this; because you are not revving the car hard, it feels as though you are driving a much bigger engine than a 1.6, almost, dare I say it... like a V6. It pulls very strongly with little effort at all giving the impression there's a LOT left. ... you don't have to push it hard to get it to work very very well.

The trick is to change gears early (compared to a petrol engine) and keep the engine in that sweet range from about 1600 ish to about 2700 RPM.  No real gain to be had by revving the thing to red line like there can be in petrol engines. 

The beauty of it is, unlike petrol, the car produces most of its torque in a rev range you would NORMALLY have the car in.
in a petrol engine, the car is usually loping along 1500 - 2000RPM (or more) below where it produces the goods.

The net effect is, USUALLY, the CRDi is on song, ready and willing to go as soon as you press the pedal (slight turbo lag ignored).

It definitely feels as though it punches way above it's weight class.

I guess I would sum up the difference between the two engines like this.  When you want them to take off quickly, say to overtake....

Petrol: you get out the whip (drop it down a gear or two, and stand on the accelerator).. shout: CMON, GET ON WITH IT, LETS GO... and things get loud and revvy... and then its off.
Diesel: you sort of whisper, er mind if we get on with this... and its off, waiting for you to change gears again (already!)!

They both achieve similar results... its just that the diesel does it MUCH lower in the rev range.

I hope the other CRDi owners would agree...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I hope the other CRDi owners would agree...

Absolutely, and well put there Blue. What a salesman :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lovely .. music to my ears... :mrgreen: 

Blue..you could almost be a poet...(not sure if that is a compliment or not)  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal