i30 Owners Club

Warranty Claim Rejected by KIA - Who's on Who's Side?

AlanHo · 23 · 3871

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If he owns his own business, how is it that he always misses the scheduled service intervals by so much, so regularly.

We know that poor oil quality and improper cool down can cause build up of varnish deposits on the shaft, I suspect he allowed this to happen and so it broke. Too bad.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Would not have expected Kia or any other manufacturer would have repaired that car, due to the service Terms & Conditions not being abided by.  Don't know how true this is or whether Kia do it, but I have heard in the past that some car manufacturers use an insurance company / policy to cover claims?  If this is true, you would have to make sure you abide by the rules IMO :scared:

I do think though IMO, if a part of the car breaks and has no relevance of a service being done you could possibly stand a chance of a free repair?  Saying that, you might have to fight it in court :whistler: 

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Bit of  hard one firstly he is using the car for business purposes,which in fact are under different warranty terms,when you actually go through Hyundai's terms and condition for warranty,they can knock any claim back,on a car that has done this amount of miles just by saying normal wear and tear.

But Kia's Claim it would cost 3K to fix is bull hockey,3 thousand pound in our terms is almost $6000,you can buy a complete new motor for that over here or two,possibly three good second hand motors for that,I think he has been getting the push,I have now been waiting three months for an answer to a warranty claim from Hyundai,I'm going to fix the issue myself,then I know the job will be done properly
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I thought his intervals were in km's at first and couldn't figure out the issue but now I know it's miles then he definateley broke warranty agreement.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know what distance the service intervals are in the UK but 15000 miles is 24000kms so that is effectively 9000km's past the due schedule in Australia and that's your warranty out the window I'm afraid.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Bit of  hard one firstly he is using the car for business purposes,which in fact are under different warranty terms,when you actually go through Hyundai's terms and condition for warranty,they can knock any claim back,on a car that has done this amount of miles just by saying normal wear and tear.

But Kia's Claim it would cost 3K to fix is bull hockey,3 thousand pound in our terms is almost $6000,you can buy a complete new motor for that over here or two,possibly three good second hand motors for that,I think he has been getting the push,I have now been waiting three months for an answer to a warranty claim from Hyundai,I'm going to fix the issue myself,then I know the job will be done properly
That price will be brand new genuine. The turbo itself would be $3-4000 here in Australia. Plus labour and probably head off for inspection and machine work if valve seats, or valves damaged.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I don't know what distance the service intervals are in the UK but 15000 miles is 24000kms so that is effectively 9000km's past the due schedule in Australia and that's your warranty out the window I'm afraid.

Even staying with the miles (we have questioned the such large difference in service intervals between countries)pretty sure England has 10,000 mile intervals,so on all of his services he has been 1000's of miles over,you would think using them as he does for driver training he would be more pedantic about his servicing,as the car or cars are his livelihood 
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'd think he would have been more on top of his servicing being that the car is his business :disapp:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Also, it is not a case of who's on who's side, it's either RIGHT OR WRONG..

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Normal interval is 10 or 12,000 miles and or 12 months interval whichever is sooner.

They allow up to 1 month after or, i think 500 miles may be 1,000 miles.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Normal interval is 10 or 12,000 miles and or 12 months interval whichever is sooner.

They allow up to 1 month after or, i think 500 miles may be 1,000 miles.

well he was well within his times but horrendously out on his miles  :disapp:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Bit of a numpty in my book, if he had bothered to check the terms of his warranty at all he would see that not only is he miles out on his STANDARD schedule but in fact his warranty is completely different as he use his vehicle for hire or reward, I think (without looking it up) that means he only has a 3 year warranty and his service intervals should be every 3 months.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Bit of a numpty in my book, if he had bothered to check the terms of his warranty at all he would see that not only is he miles out on his STANDARD schedule but in fact his warranty is completely different as he use his vehicle for hire or reward, I think (without looking it up) that means he only has a 3 year warranty and his service intervals should be every 3 months.
Hire/reward i think relates to taxi use,

I would have expected it would be a business purchase but i'm sure another member who bought new for driving school said it was classed as private purchase.

However, doesn't it depend on the initial purchase declaration as to warranty.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Not just Taxis - the business of carrying someone in a driving school car for tuition - requires the provision and use of a vehicle for a payment (reward). 

Hire/Reward is any payment, in cash or kind, which gives a person the right to be carried in the vehicle, regardless of whether or not that right is exercised. Hire or reward takes place if the journey is organised in a way that goes beyond the bounds of mere social kindness.

The payment may be made by the passenger or on the passenger’s behalf. It may be a direct payment, eg a fare or an indirect payment such as a membership subscription. Where indirect payments are made in respect of other services (rather than specifically for the transport) they are still likely to be viewed by the courts as hire or reward because anyone who hadn’t made the payment would have no right to be carried in the vehicle.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So, not much sympathy on the i30 site, either.  :rofl: :head_butt:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Them's the rules, he did not comply with warranty requirements, stiff cheddar, end of the John Dory. :blubber: Lester has the hanky out. :disapp:

Indeed Phil No.1, not much sympathy on here either.  Such is life. :'(
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory driving schools are mentioned in the same category as hire cars, taxis, couriers and police vehicles for both warranty purposes and also for vehicles that may be driven in 'harsh conditions' that would require the half service.

Because I like the legal stuff here are some extracts:

From the warranty:
Note: Commercial Application means that the vehicle has at any time been used or is currently used for a commercial purpose,
and such uses include without limitation taxi or hire vehicle, rental vehicles, courier vehicle, driving school vehicle, security vehicle,
tour or bus operator and emergency services vehicle. Passenger vehicle and SUV’s used under commercial vehicle conditions will
be limited to a 60 months / 130,000km* warranty.

From the service bit:

The following conditions should be construed as demanding driving conditions:

A. Repeated short distance driving
    B. Extensive idling
    C. Driving in dusty conditions / rough roads
    D. Driving in very cold conditions
    E. Driving in sandy areas
    F. More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 32 degrees Celsius
    G. Driving in mountainous areas
    H. Towing a trailer or caravan
    I. Using vehicle as a patrol car, taxi or commercial use
    J. Continuous high speed driving

So if he was stupidly over the normal service schedule, he has blown away the commercial schedule.

However, if old mate could show that there had been a history of that type of fault in vehicles that had correctly been serviced, he might be able to argue that his negligence did not contribute to the failure and he might have a win.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

However, if old mate could show that there had been a history of that type of fault in vehicles that had correctly been serviced, he might be able to argue that his negligence did not contribute to the failure and he might have a win.

More chance of getting 541T3 out of a rocking horse.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: bumpkin

Is that the chemical formula for "shite"? :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Quote from: bumpkin

Is that the chemical formula for "shite"? :lol:

Aye :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Never been before a Magistrate before I see? Especially one who may have had a bad car in the past....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Never been before a Magistrate before I see? Especially one who may have had a bad car in the past....

Correct in your assumption :goodjob:

The point is though that in the UK, it would cost a fair bit of money to get it as far as court and then if you lost against the corporate behemoth, not only do you have to pay for the car repair you have a huge legal bill to settle.  Most folk just won't go there......

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal