i30 Owners Club

1st week of i30 ownership down, and I want to tweak things!

StuMac · 16 · 4022

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
Oh how I love my i30, ferrying me to and from work, sipping at the diesel and still having 2 weeks worth of commuting in it, having the mother in law tell me how posh it was ( :whistler: ) and how much space there is.

But... found out a few things, and the bug is taking hold.

First off, I noticed the day running lights turn off when you turn on main beam lights at night... no no no! Why Hyundai do these turn off, they would look AMAZING at night! Is there a way to get them to turn on at night or is this not possible?

Secondly, I dont like the standard lights. Now I dont want to get some silly HID kit, but does anyone know where I can find Xenon replacement headlamps? I've tried to find them as parts to buy on their own, but seem to be unable to find anything. Also, would this be a straight swap? Or would there be complications regarding any of the fitting?

Thanks in advance :D

Now I am gonna go murder that bird that pooped on my bonnet...
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In Australlia, it is illegal to run DRL's with your headlamps on, so probably the same in UK.

Xenon lamps are available from auto shops, just be sure to buy the correct fitting and wattage.

Do NOT allow your fingers to touch any part of the glass or the oil from your fingers will cause a hot spot and the light will burn out immediately.

Don't buy anything that has coloured glass as this will reduce the available light.

Don't be tempted to buy higher wattage as the whole light assembly is plastic, the bulbs may cause damage and the wiring is not made to cope with excess current. As a rule, higher brightness globes, have shorter working lives, there's always a trade off, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 23:37:54 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes DRL off when lights on.

Re replacement bulbs. 
Make sure you comply with regs

For both........otherwise you may find unwanted attention from pc plod.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
On the i40 and Cee'd the DRL's are part of the headlamp assemble and dim to become the sidelights when the headlights come on, I think that is a much tidier way of doing it.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't buy anything that has coloured glass as this will reduce the available light.
Ah yes, I can see that (see what I did there? (see what I did there?)) :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: Quiet day at the RAAF.  :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Now I am gonna go murder that bird that pooped on my bonnet...

Don't murder her.
Just don't take her out again.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very choice.  :Shocked:

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
Shame about the DRL, but if its the law, nothing I can do about that.

Re the headlamps, I was just looking to replace the whole headlamp with a standard Hyundai part that might have been an optional extra, I am assuming that because people are talking about bulbs then there isn't an uprated headlamp as standard?

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Ive asked about the DRL's staying on before but seems theres no way round it unless u bridge it with the headlights somehow.  Funny thing is though that u must have one of the earlier i30 GD's when they first came out ..around 2012 reg cus the later ones after about 2013 or 14 the DRL's stay on when the headlights turn on because Im sure I've seen several newer GD's like that
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ive asked about the DRL's staying on before but seems theres no way round it unless u bridge it with the headlights somehow.  Funny thing is though that u must have one of the earlier i30 GD's when they first came out ..around 2012 reg cus the later ones after about 2013 or 14 the DRL's stay on when the headlights turn on because Im sure I've seen several newer GD's like that
Mine is a 2013 and the DRL's turn off once the headlights come on, if there have been some seen staying on then they've probably been tinkered with and as mentioned is illegal.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
I remember a person on here last year that has an i30 that he bought after Hyundai made some changes and that was one of the changes according to him, the other was the an interior light cluster in the front now instead of the back...... took me a while to find the thread

:link: LED sidelights mod

I donno if its different down under but here Its not against the law to have DRL's on while ur dip beams are on too cus many prestige cars have them like Audi and Mercs.... its like what bumpkin said before....they dim on the side, on which the turn signal comes on.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That is the park lights with DRL's, not the head lights which is what I thought was the issue.

Mine stay on with the park lights but once you turn the headlights on the DRL's turn off.

My park lights were changed to these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-SMD-Interior-LED-Lights-White-9-x-SMD-Wedge.aspx?pid=283928#Cross and no modifications to make them fit :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:43:00 by CraigB »

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
oh right, I thought the DRL's would have stayed on as well once u turned on the head lights too, because on my 2012 i30 the DRL's turn off when u switch it to the park lights and also onto the headlight also.  :(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
I remember a person on here last year that has an i30 that he bought after Hyundai made some changes and that was one of the changes according to him, the other was the an interior light cluster in the front now instead of the back...... took me a while to find the thread

:link: LED sidelights mod

I donno if its different down under but here Its not against the law to have DRL's on while ur dip beams are on too cus many prestige cars have them like Audi and Mercs.... its like what bumpkin said before....they dim on the side, on which the turn signal comes on.

Ohh I like that, sadly I don't want to mess around with it too much incase I mess up my warrantee, but those side lights are much nicer than the standard.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal