i30 Owners Club

Oil Question

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Has anyone heard of Chieftan Oils,I have noticed lately more and more of it on the shelves,also when you do the oils search at the auto shops that have the free search computers,along with several other oils this oils comes up as one of the best options for use,full Syn
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've not heard of it and I cant even find a home page for their business, though it is a small oil company in Kansas.

Stick with the good Aussie stuff like Nulon or Penrite Rick :)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Heard of it but that's about it. As Craig confirmed I thought it was American.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yet another oil question,has anyone heard of Shell Aero oil,High grade 10w/40 full synthetic,according to the labeling designed,for aircraft high compression piston engines,haven't been able to source any info yet,used by the Dept of Defence.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yet another oil question,has anyone heard of Shell Aero oil,High grade 10w/40 full synthetic,according to the labeling designed,for aircraft high compression piston engines,haven't been able to source any info yet,used by the Dept of Defence.

Did some fall off the back of a truck?....  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Did some fall off the back of a truck?....  :snigger:

Sort of,you'll be surprised what you can pick up on your travels  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Here's ya info Rick :link: AeroShell Oil Diesel 10W-40 - Australia It's not for car's

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here's ya info Rick :link: AeroShell Oil Diesel 10W-40 - Australia It's not for car's

Not petrol fueled cars, but Diesel engines could be a different matter entirely.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not petrol fueled cars, but Diesel engines could be a different matter entirely.

Yeah, I reckon Bruce and Cyril would FLY with that stuff in 'em...  :winker:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not suitable for anything with a sparked ignition and whether it's compatible with normal diesel as opposed to aviation grade diesel  :undecided: I wouldn't like to risk using it with automotive grade seals and bearings either.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hy Diesel's don't have spark ignition either.

You'd kiss your warranty goodbye for sure, but it would be nice to know if any additional protection was available.

I'm happy with the current oil.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hy Diesel's don't have spark ignition either.
Doh :head_butt:  :goodjob2:

Plus whether the oil would work correctly under much lower compression, be interesting to know anyway.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hy Diesel's are not lower compression, although you can get higher compression Diesel.

My understanding is that the oil is used in Jet engines which do not burn Diesel, but have high temps and high particulates similar to Diesel engines. Having special properties to protect high bearing loads and scuff protection sounds like a good idea.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
10W-40 sounds like the right viscosity range to me. :P
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The supplier in Adelaide is located at Parafield.  :whistler:

Sent an e to ask for a price.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can pick it up for you, Phil. :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When I say lower compression I am comparing to an aircraft engine as the description says that it has been formulated to work with the "latest highly rated turbo charged engines" though the Hy diesel engine may have high compression as far as car engines go but I doubt it would be anywhere close to the latest aircraft turbo engines.

It does sound like a good idea but definitely not worth the risk imo

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If turbos get a mention, I doubt it's for jet engines. Piston engines have turbos. Jets are just big BBQ turbos (turbines). :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Question, How many Diesel piston engined planes are there. I know they are made but I don't think they are popular at all.

The compression pressure for Diesel engines wouldn't vary by much, unless the Diesel fuel used is a heavier fraction  of fuel used for aviation. This I don't know. Once fuel air is compressed enough to cause detonation, there can be no further compression possible as the engine is now producing power. Given that the Hy engine is of common rail design, the pressures required to feed fuel into the cylinders are huge already, the engine is also turbocharged so their description pretty much describes our Diesel engine.

It's a synthetic oil, 10w-40 both within Hy specs, is it B4, who knows. Doesn't really matter if you don't have DPF fitted.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
We''ll just have to wait and see what their response to your email is Phil, be nice if it was compatible and Rick has scored a pellet of it that fell of the back of a truck :snigger: I'm thinking it would also be far more expensive than Royal Purple oil :wink:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm expecting about $100 for 4lt. Anything to do with flight is expensive. :Pout:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal