i30 Owners Club

Hi from Canberra

eyecon · 29 · 5258

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I own a 2008 charcoal grey SX. I'm still awaiting delivery of a set of 'angel eyes' headlights which I ordered over 2 weeks ago (apparently these things take time).

My first upgrade was a set of JL Audio VR600, 6in speakers with splitters, which sounds so much better. I did this one myself.

I just think these cars are so well built and fun and easy to drive. Before the i30 came along I never thought I would ever be seen driving a Hyundai. These i30 things rock and I can't wait for the headlights.

A special thanks to this forum because I used this forum a lot when I researched the tuning box and headlights etc.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the writeup eyecon... it reads really well... and welcome. Sounds like you're a guy who knows what he wants from his baby, and just how to get it :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome eyecon :D :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi eyecon and a Big Welcome...

That must be one of the best first posts ever  :mrgreen: keep that up and you'll be an ICON around here  :wink:

The info about your tuning box is very interesting but the feedback about your speaker upgrade will also help a few of our members who have been wondering the cheapest way to effectively upgrade the audio...

Photo's please once you upgrade the headlights..

Unless I missed it you don't mention a wheel and tyre upgrade? I would have imagined you'd have done something there with all that power  :eek:

and finally 60,000 km's already (you've been getting plenty of use out of your baby) :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
... If anyone wants to see a dyno sheet let me know.
I'd like to see it.

I looked over the website but apart from the results (and cost) could not determine what differences there were between the two boxes offered.  Do you know?  I did see a jumper block for some adjustment.  Any info on that?

Thanks for letting us know your experience.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks for your feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Dazz, in relation to the speaker upgrades have put done some info for anybody interested in performing their own speaker upgrades, which I'm quite happy to share. I chose the VR 600-CSi woofer speakers with the tweeters and splits because the 6inch speakers were able to respond well to the factory head unit power output. I've seen them for sale on e Bay so prices may vary. To make this work in the i30s buyers have to be (150mm) sure they are ordering 6inch versions, because there are 6.5inch versions available. I originally purchased the 6.5inch versions and it was a pain in the butt to try and shoe-horn them in to their factory locations. So I returned them and swapped them for the 6in speakers. The tweeters were mounted about 80mm from the factory speaker location. I used a hole cutter to drill a hole in each door. I had the option to install them at the side mirror plastic cover location (like the SLX and above), but after further research I discovered it was a less desirable location. Apparently for "best tone balance and coherent imaging" tweeters should be placed relatively close to the woofers. Anything greater than 20cm is likely to result in "degraded sound quality". It sounds good with plenty of rich base. I guess there is always room for improvement in sound quality by using a small pre-amp or something, but I'll look in to it further down the track.

The end result is a stock looking door, even with the tweeters. I've included an image for people to see if they like.

Some specs of the system are as follows:
Continuous power handling: 60 watts
Recommended Amp power: 15-100 Watts per channel (RMS)

That'll do for now. I'm all posted out. If anyone is interested in the specifics in speaker installation let me know.

Hi Pip,
Thanks for your interest. The difference between the two items on offer from Racechip are apparently these two things:
1: Latest vehicle-software
2: 25000x / second grid adaption (I have presumed this to be faster and more precise fuel mapping software than the standard Racechip)

There are two dials for fine tuning and both are accessible if you remove the back of the tuning box. The first dial has to do with fuel timing/delivery. I've mucked around with this dial a lot when I first got it because of my skeptical nature and the effects were amazing. Over a course of a few days I ended up turning 4 or 5 notches past the recommended setting. I was bewildered to find my car couldn't rev past 3,000 revs. The car just died every time I tried to push it beyond that point. It even stalled on the highway once when I tried to overtake somebody in 5th gear. So I pulled over to the side of the road and put back to it's original setting. I haven't looked back since. I discovered the full effects of tuning the box can is more apparent when done in 5th gear and hard acceleration.

The second dial has to do with adjusting the tuning switch-off point. In other words you're able to adjust the threshold for when you want the tuning box to be switched off under extreme conditions to save your engine. I think I've got mine set to one notch above the manufacturer's recommendation. I'll have to double check that. I haven't mucked around with that too much, based on my experience with the first dial.  

Hope this helps in your decision making.
Cheers

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I'd like to see it.

Hi Pip,

I attached two dyno sheets for you.  They are both from the same run. The first one is a combined power and torque curve, with before and after results on the one graph measured in rear wheel output. The second one is power and torque curve with tuning box measured in engine output. Hope it makes sense for you. These are the same power curves but analysed in different ways.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi eyecon. Some great info there.

Careful not to put too much info in your "intro" thread as a lot of members may not visit this section all that often and might miss your very useful info :)

In fact, it might be a good idea to copy it to a new topic under "modifications" if/when you get time  :cool:

Thanks, and welcome again :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Shambles. I agree.
I'm still green around the gills to this forum posting caper. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome eyecon from eye30
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That'll do for now. I'm all posted out.

After 4 posts?  :eek: 

I haven't got all posted out yet

(although some probably wish I would)

P.S. Your audio upgrade is neat  :D thanks for the clarification

(You didn't say if you had standard wheels and tyres or not?) Sorry 4 being nosy  :P

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Sorry Dazz, what I meant to say was that I felt like I waffled on too much, as the post was becoming quite long.

The wheels on my car are standard issue, but I have Yokahama A-drives on. Better grip and handling than those original Kuhmos. I am actually now interested in a used set of SLX or SR rims if anyone is selling in the NSW or Canberra area. I've begun looking in the For Sale part of this forum.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry Dazz, what I meant to say was that I felt like I waffled on too much, as the post was becoming quite long.

The wheels on my car are standard issue, but I have Yokahama A-drives on. Better grip and handling than those original Kuhmos. I am actually now interested in a used set of SLX or SR rims if anyone is selling in the NSW or Canberra area. I've begun looking in the For Sale part of this forum.

You're right M8 I was only mucking around...Your info is all good so waffle as much as you want... :cool:

and by all means put a wanted request in the for sale section of the forum (it doesn't cost anything) and hopefully we will be able to match you up with a seller in your area... :razz: 

Yokahamas are often fairly soft but they would have to grip better than the standard issue...

Pip
I'd like to see it.

Hi Pip,

I attached two dyno sheets for you.  They are both from the same run. The first one is a combined power and torque curve, with before and after results on the one graph measured in rear wheel output. The second one is power and torque curve with tuning box measured in engine output. Hope it makes sense for you. These are the same power curves but analysed in different ways.
Thanks for that.

The first thing I wanted to do was to compare with the one that Martin posted Here:https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,633.msg4983.html#msg4983

My interest is not so much with any performance gain but the smoothness of the curve at low revs.  It's interesting that yours and his, WRT the original performance, do not closely correlate.

I have drawn no conclusions as yet.  All information is good though.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yeah, I saw that as well. on my car it's like the engine wants to spike up but the computer pulls it back. I plan on resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a bit. The spike might have something to do with me playing around with the tuning box at extreme levels, and the computer has logged this activity into its memory. I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll reset the ECU anyway just in case.

Offline lukes CRDi

• 2nd Gear
Hi eyecon,

I was wondering if I could ask you a question/s in relation to installation of your JL Vr600 (6-inch) speakers

Did they fit directly into the i30 speaker mount without modding? Also did you use extra sound deadening, or any adjustments to the mounting to reduce vibration from the extra bass?  Will I need to secure the crossovers or let them loose inside the door?

Any tips you can give me i'd appreciate, I pick up my i30 CRDi 5speed manual on Saturday, so i'm pretty pumped!

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi Luke,
The new speakers required only a little work to refit them into the existing mounting plate if you're mechanically minded. From memory the speakers are moulded to also form part of the plastic mounting plate. So the task is to separate the plate from the old speakers but cutting the connecting webbing at the rear of the speakers. The JL speakers have 4 mounting holes and is a little tricky fitting the final screw. This is because the rim width of the existing mounting plate is not as wide as it could be, and leaving next to no meat in the mounting plate to screw in to. I hope you are following me, because it's a little hard to explain without having the pieces in front of you to see.

I notice you're from Canberra your self. If you're still keen on doing this let me know and we can do this together, maybe at your place or at my place. Whatever you like.

If I had of known the virtues of sound deadening I think I would have done this first. From what I've researched in more recent times just sound deadening the doors with existing speakers offers a real good improvement without doing anything else. Mind you I had no vibration issues from the extra base because the speakers were held in properly and the crossovers were screwed in. I would recommend screwing them in for that proper job, and I found only one place to mount them without interfering with the door skin. Again it could be something I need to show you in person. I have attached a picture for your reference.

On a slightly different issue you might be aware I am onto my second i30. The mods I speak of were done on my 1st car. On this white one I have now I haven't touched the speakers. The reason being the head unit on this one offered an extra feature that didn't exist on the 1st car. The current models (which will include yours) will have 3 extra base setting options, which gives really good base to the existing speakers. In short I would leave the speakers but add some tweeters (with crossovers) and add sound deadening if your looking for the most cost effecting solution. Try this first and if you're still not satisfied then go for the speaker upgrade. All the speaker professionals always recommend the sound deadening as a minimum requirement.

[deleted]

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i wonder if the old tweeters from my maxima would make a difference to my i30... i mean they are just sitting in a box waiting to go to the tip... any ideas?

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I think that would be a good idea agent31. I assume you have the crossovers for them?

Offline lukes CRDi

• 2nd Gear
thanks for this info eyecon, I am in Sydney actually, so not far off from Canberra. I think I follow your guide to installation

That is interesting, so your thoughts are with the 'bass options' on the newer i30s, another JL speaker upgrade for your new I30 isnt warranted?

I must admit I didnt spend a lot of time with the stereo at the dealership, I did play with the settings a bit and first thought were it was lacking. Mid you, i'm not into loud volume or deep bass (or doof doof) mainly clarity, so if I find the SLX's 6 speakers to be sufficient after some tweaking, I may not need your guide after all! (and save $250), just maybe do some sound deadening.

I take it the head unit has built in crossover functions in the SLX?

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi Luke,
My bad. I saw 'Hi from Canberra" not thinking it was me that created the original post. DOH!

Anyway I believe the SLX does have the crossover circuity perhaps inbuilt into the head unit, but I doubt if they would be fitted in the door as I have done. Please check with the sales guy when you pick you car up.

For me another front speaker upgrade isn't warranted as much as a tweeter and sound deadening install. I was just about to lash out and buy a sound deadening kit ($300) a few weeks ago but then bills kept getting in my way. I'll see how go before Christmas.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard icon.  :lol: :lol: :P
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I think that would be a good idea agent31. I assume you have the crossovers for them?

the "cross over" (2 little capacitors) is on the side of the tweeter! no idea if thats a proper cross over... im used to seeing a box thats 100mmx50mm!!

Offline lukes CRDi

• 2nd Gear
eyecon, I like the front grill and your headlights must get some attention around ACT! awesome!

agent; thanks for the info re: the tweeter.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Luke. The white rings generates some warm interest, but it's the amber rings that knocks everybody out. I just love the look on the their faces. It's fantastic. I have the white rings on about 96% of the time, the red rings on about 2%, and the standard about 2%. I changed the grill (and removed the decals) to keep people guessing what car it is.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard eyecon.  :lol: :lol: :P
now its spelt rite.  :-[

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Sorry I missed that one. The brain only needs to pick up the first and last letter to know what the word is. I don't think any less of you mate.  :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you only have 2Min's to modify your post nowadays so you need to look more carefully at what is posted,that will teach me.  :rolleyes: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal