i30 Owners Club

Royal Purple - Is it worth it ?

SWDXING · 12 · 5228

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi everyone, recently took my Petrol 1.8L i30 GD in for the first 6-month optional service (there was about 8,000kms on the clock), because I feel 12 months or 12,000kms is too long between drinks.

The dealer changed the oil and filter in the process, and upon starting it, there was a noticeable difference in smoothness.
They changed the oil from 5W30 Shell Helix Oil to 10W40 Valvoline Synthetic Oil.

I am not particularly a fan of Valvoline, and was thinking whether it's worth changing the oil to Royal Purple 10W40 oil. Autobahn sells 4L container for $99, while the same amount and viscosity Valvoline Oil is around $45

Is it worth changing the oil to Royal Purple, would there be a noticeable difference in performance, smoothness, fuel economy etc ?

Cheers
Sam
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8lt Petrol

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I can't speak about Royal Purple, but I recently had my 15K/12month service where I supplied Nulon 5w-30 (based on a recommendation from CraigB as a cheaper alternative to Royal Purple). 

I've noticed that the engine runs smoother and quieter, and seems to require less effort for acceleration and holding speed.  Additionally, there is a small, but noticeable, drop in fuel consumption.

Note that my car has a 2.0l GDI, so YMMV.

In the future, I will change the oil/filter at 6 months, and let the dealer do the regular 12 month service.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Sounds good. I will have a look around. Just out of curiosity, what is the amount of oil that the petrol i30 takes ? 4L, 5L or 5.3L ?

I have noticed that the performance could be a lot better than what it is now. I suspect it's the crappy Valvoline oil that is the culprit (considering it just had a service and firmware update). With the Helix oil, it had more grunt when nearly red-lining it on the freeway ramp, as apposed to what it is like currently. I will keep you guys posted as to what oil I get and what improvements it makes.

Cheers
Sam

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The exact amount of oil is in your owner's manual.  For reference, the 2.0 litre engine uses only 4 litres.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think it is member Lakes that swears by Royal Purple,  haven't used it myself. Would be surprised if the different oil made all,the difference. Maybe the firmware upgrade is a backward step performance wise.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Would be surprised if the different oil made all,the difference. Maybe the firmware upgrade is a backward step performance wise.. :undecided:
Yes, I also was surprised by the difference.  It may have been a change in the ECU by the dealer.  Though I have read reports of a similar effect in other cars caused by a change of oil.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it is member Lakes that swears by Royal Purple,  haven't used it myself. Would be surprised if the different oil made all,the difference. Maybe the firmware upgrade is a backward step performance wise.. :undecided:
Lakes may have recommended it as well but I know I've also mentioned it here on the forum :) Royal Purple is great stuff and frankly there's nothing better, the bonding, sealing and lubrication abilities are above all others but as mentioned above it is very expensive but as a second choice I'd use Nulon as the independent tests placed Nulon at the top over the other readily available leading brands on the market.

Royal guaranties that their oil lasts 19000kms and after having it recommended to me by other teams and using it for years myself I've seen what the inside of engines look like after running Royal for their life times and they literally remain as new.

Interesting that Autobarn now sells Royal as it's only been previously available through exclusive dealers for the last 15 years that I've used it, hopefully being made readily available will bring the price down a bit but I doubt it  :Good_luck:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wasn't doubting you mentioned it Craig, I thing John who has been a member from day dot has mentioned it also though.. He has also (like you) had some drag strip experience and has mentioned about how good the inside of engines look that have used it..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not a problem Dazz :goodjob2:

One thing I should note is that it is still mentioned on the back of the Royal label that they're not an API listed oil though when my supplier spoke with Royal several months ago they stated their HPS oil is fine for vehicles under warranty and sent a white paper to confirm it so I don't understand why the details on the labels haven't yet been changed :confused:

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I changed the oil to Nulon fast-flow 10W40 (from Valvoline 10W40), and changed the oil filter too. Driving around yesterday, I have noticed that the engine seems a little more responsive, runs a bit quieter, and doesn't sound like a diesel upon cold start any more. I take it the 3 month old Valvoline oil was inferior (not a fan), and took a bit to actually flow down through completely. But regardless, my machine seems happier now!

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Excellent result.  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts