i30 Owners Club

How to get security updates for Windows XP until April 2019

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Microsoft's official support for the Windows XP operating system ended in March 2014. While some companies and organizations are still receiving updates for the operating system, end users are not.

These companies pay Microsoft for that, usually because they were not able or willing to migrate computers running Windows XP to another operating system before the extended support phase for the system ended.

There is another exception to the end of support rule: Windows Embedded Industry, formerly known as Windows Embedded POSReady, operating systems continue to receive updates.

What makes this interesting is the fact that Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on Windows XP Service Pack 3, and that the security updates released for that system are identical with the ones that Microsoft would have released for XP systems.

The extended support for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 systems ends on April 9th, 2019 which means that you can use the trick to get another five years of security patches for XP.

:link: How to get security updates for Windows XP until April 2019 - gHacks Tech News

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've had a loook as I have XP but as not into computer techi stuff I'm a bit unsure re doing backup etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you "installed" this simple registry hack, obtained XP updates then found your system unstable, you'd simply run a system restore.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you "installed" this simple registry hack, obtained XP updates then found your system unstable, you'd simply run a system restore.

Ok

shall try it but not until next week as I'm going to a Beer festival tonight and probably tomorrow recovering.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Thanks again Shambles nice post for some :wink:

Since XP I've used Windows Millennium, Vista and Windows 7 and even comparing with Win 7 I still have a soft spot for my old XP OS.  Can see me considering installing this on my current PC with a dual boot and using Chrome as a browser.

May need to check first though, whether I may have major problems with hardware / software drivers etc?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal