i30 Owners Club

Android 4.4 aftermarket ebay stereo installation.

Stork · 28 · 13155

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Hi

I am new here at this forum but i have had my i30 for almost 5 years.

I am going to breathe some new live into my car by adding an aftermarket stereo.
The features i am lacking on my stock stereo is:
-Bluetooth Phone handsfree connectivity.
-GPS Navigation.
-Reverse camera.
-Music streaming capabilities.

After searching around for alternatives i finally chose this pure android stereo from Autopumpkin:
:link: Plug and Play Strereo Pure Android 4.4 kitkat Two Din Universal Car DVD Player GPS Navigation with remote control at
This stereo has basically everything i am looking for, it comes with a CD/DVD-player which i really don't need but is all in all a good pick.
Even though a gamble i decided to buy the same unit from ebay to save a little money.

In addition to the head unit itself i also ordered:
-Double DIN fascia. (aliexpress)
-Reverse camera (license plate light housing mount). (ebay)
-OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. (ebay)
-External Microphone. (ebay)
-Radio antenna adapter. (ebay)
-Male mini-ISO C plug (so i can access all wires from old installation). (ebay)
-Cables, RCA-connectors etc.. (local electronics store)

The stereo head unit arrived after only a week from Hong Kong.
I also had good communication with the ebay seller: star_cardvd
At this moment i am still waiting for all the other accessories to arrive.

I plugged my head unit into my workbench at home and started it up.
The unit has a close to pure android interface, the only difference is that you can switch between "car mode" and "android mode".
In car mode you only have access to some of the apps (of your own choice) and in android mode you have access to everything.
The unit is very fast operating the meny, no lag or anything so i am really happy with it so far.
I could test bluetooth connectivity, reverse camera switch, music streaming and everything seems to work.
I have not tested the sound quality though.
There is no manual along with the unit, only a pinout diagram sticker on the unit itself. (Thanx China  :D)

While waiting for the rest of the accessories to arrive i decided to look at the electronics.
I noticed something on the power ISO connector of the Hyundai i30, it looks like the pins for BATTERY+ and IGNITION+ is switched from the standard ISO.
I have not tested it on my car yet, this is only from what i have managed to google.
It will be easy to rest before plugging in the stereo and also easy to just change the pins in the connector.
This is my ISO-pin diagram:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16718527/ISO_connectors.pdf

With this in mind i have created a wiring diagram for the complete installation:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16718527/Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

You may notice that i have also included headrest monitors in the diagram, i have not ordered these but i will prepare my installation with the wires for this so that i can easily add them later if i want.

After thinking it through i realize that i will be lacking a few features:
-Outside temperature presentation.
-Dimming of illuminated buttons.

I have some ideas about the outside temp presentation, there are possibilities to connect a voltmeter to the USB interface of the unit.
And since it is android you can make a widget to present it, but that will be a later project. Much later...

The illumination of the buttons in the i30 is run on its own circuit, but the illumination of the head unit is run with the common ground.
I think it is still possible to fix this with some electrical engineering but this would also be a later project.

I will update here as the project continues but i have one question:
Does anyone know where to find the reverse light switch?
It would be more convenient to connect the reverse camera signal from the front instead of wiring it all the way from the back lights.

Cheers!
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hej Stork

Velkommen.

:wttc:

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Please post pics after installation... :mrgreen:

Had a little accident... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Hej Stork

Velkommen.

:wttc:

TACK!

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Please post pics after installation... :mrgreen:

Yes i do, but it is a fun project and i will not rush it, my plan is to post pictures during and after the installation.

Had a little accident... :question:

I did... ehh.. someone backed into me on the freeway...  :whistler: ...hate when that happens... ;)
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Does anyone know where to find the reverse light switch?
Interesting project and please keep us updated! I'd like to see the results when you're done.

The switch would probably be near the top of the gearbox, have a look here:

The switch is labelled part no: 93860

You can find parts fiches on :link: Hyundai Parts - OEM Hyundai Parts Online direct from Jim Ellis Hyundai if you get stuck :goodjob2:

Good luck!!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Thanks!

It might be easier to wire it from the reverse lamp anyway, since i need to pull the video cable from the back also.
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welc1 Stork, great first post!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Under the right door sill (in Aus at least) lives the reverse light wire. I picked up the feed from there to put my double DIN unit into rear view cam mode. From memory it's a dark green wire with a white stripe, but check first. Same colour as the reverse wire at the tail light.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Fascia and reverse cam arrived today!

Fascia looks sweet!!!
Reverse cam is working also.

Just a few more things before installation.

Questions:
Anyone know how to remove the trim from the A-pillar?

-Staffan
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Why remove the trim? Just remove the rubber seal around the door. That's more than enough to tuck in wiring and/or get wiring across to the middle.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Why remove the trim? Just remove the rubber seal around the door. That's more than enough to tuck in wiring and/or get wiring across to the middle.

Good point!
Didn't think about that.

I could hide the microphone wire without any problem!
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline Stork

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Utby, Gothenburg
Hi

Sorry for not updating for a while, have been really busy with other things.

Anyway, the reverse cam is now also installed and working fine.

Still waiting for my adapters for the radio antenna and mini-ISO connector for USB/AUX/Steering wheel buttons.

I will post pictures when all is finished, maybe also a short video demo.

Cheers!

--Stork
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the heads up! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline lesterb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Yarrabilba, Queensland
Hi Stork,

I have bought a Pumpkin Android 4.4 Stereo for my Hyundai Santa FE CM 2012. It appears the radio has the same connectors as the i30, antenna, 2 x 8 pin ISO and 1 x 20 pin mini-ISO connectors.
I have everything but a 20 pin mini-ISO plug. My first question is, will the unit work without the mini-ISO plug and just the mod to 8 pin ISO A?
If so, what won't work. It looks like the USB connection and aux inputs but what are Remote Key + & -, E AMP Mute, Remote E Amp  and TEL Mute?

Thanks,
Lester
  • Santa Fe CM 2012

Offline iimech

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Stork,

Any update on your install and photos please?

:)
  • 2011 FD i30CW 2.0L

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

• 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi auto
The temp display was a concern for me too, but turns out to be a non-issue because it's Android and the home screen has a weather widget with local temp. Requires a data connection to be up to date with current conditions and location, but that's not an issue for me and is probably more accurate and reliable than any auto sensor. Normally automotive sensors are way off if you're going less than 50 kph because of engine heat and heat-soaked pavement.
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 SX 5 Door Silver 1.6 crdi Auto

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

Hi Stork,

I have bought a Pumpkin Android 4.4 Stereo for my Hyundai Santa FE CM 2012. It appears the radio has the same connectors as the i30, antenna, 2 x 8 pin ISO and 1 x 20 pin mini-ISO connectors.
I have everything but a 20 pin mini-ISO plug. My first question is, will the unit work without the mini-ISO plug and just the mod to 8 pin ISO A?
If so, what won't work. It looks like the USB connection and aux inputs but what are Remote Key + & -, E AMP Mute, Remote E Amp  and TEL Mute?

Thanks,
Lester

Stork's awfully quiet, so I'll tell you what I know. I got one of these units too but unfortunately it's defective and I'm fighting with them to get it replaced, but that's another story.

TEL Mute would be what tells the radio to mute everything but phone input when in a call. It should be irrelevant.

Remote e amp is probably what turns a remote amplifier on and off with the head unit. Depending on your audio setup, that may or may not be necessary.

Remote Key + & - are what connects your steering wheel audio controls to the head unit. The Autopumpkin doesn't have the dual-mode key capability where holding down the steering wheel key has a different function than just tapping it,  but in the unit's settings you can specify exactly what you want the keys to do. For me this was a major consideration, but if you don't have steering wheel keys it won't be for you.

Also, watch out for the power pins to be reversed like Stork mentions. Mine was that way as well, with the constant on and ignition-on wires switched. I just swapped them in the stereo's supplied plug and left the factory plug alone.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
From memory the swapped 'constant on' and 'ignition-on' wires is Hyundai being non-std, or non-defacto std./convention, with the units using that set of ISO plugs.

I think Wolfmane is pretty spot on in his responses - 'e amp' will almost certainly be for 'external amp' and will be a control line to cause it to turn on (quiet often these will have a short delay to reduce any thumps from head-unit output).

As Wolfmane states 'Remote Key' is steering wheel controls - the actual 'circuit' is very simple... each button is a switch that, when pushed, connects a specific value resistor across the two wires. The head-unit determines which button is pressed by a change in resistance.   You could make your own and/or electronically control the unit through this interface.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
When my old 63cm Panasonic 'The One' TV fried its control panel, even the remote couldn't stop random soaring volume without warning. I actually build a resistor network and attached a little 4 by 4 button panel to replace the TV's original slideout panel, all with just ribbon cable and solder. I kept that TV going for 20 years as new, otherwise. Oh those were the daze! :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Surely ALL your rental properties could support the acquisition of a new one  :Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
BUMP!

Any news on this, @Stork ?

I hope he is still active on here. This looked like quite a fun project to follow :undecided:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Surely ALL your rental properties could support the acquisition of a new one  :Shocked:
Ah, but you've got that the wrong way around, Phil. My keeping that TV going for so long got me all the rental properties. :victory: :lol:

The point being that I had to reverse engineer the resistor values to be hand soldered into my new circuit in order to have the TV processor read it as the expected button. What ibrokeit is suggesting is a very simple, practical and easy version of this effort. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

Followup on the Pumpkin stereo: It's been a nightmare and the company has no intention of good faith on it. I sent the unit in and they did make some modifications, but the GPS still only works about .05% of the time. They keep blaming it on not having the latest firmware and this or that, but it's clearly a hardware problem. I've had it hooked up to a 12V power supply out in the open, and the GPS doesn't work any better there. The Wi-Fi works slightly better than it did (they added a little antenna wire out a hole in the back of the unit) but is still very, very weak. Also, be careful of the aftermarket fascia: it is poorly designed and you have to flip the original brackets to raise the stereo to match the opening, which angles it and makes the stereo too deep to actually fit without having to cut the plastic support out of the back of the dash. I'm not going to do that for this hunk of junk. The stereo is really deeper than it should be anyway, considering most of the volume is empty space inside.

Also, the customized OS has deliberately limited the types of bluetooth connections, so it can't connect to my bluetooth GPS receiver or other types of bluetooth devices, only phones. That is very frustrating as well.

I am going to give it one last-ditch effort: I've ordered a USB GPS receiver and I'll see if I can get that to work with the unit. Hopefully they haven't also disabled all the USB drivers built into Android as well, but since it has 3 USB ports and supports WiFi and 3G dongles, there's reason to hope it will work.

DO NOT buy the AutoPumpkin/Pumpkin unit!!!! If I can't get the USB receiver to work I'll go with a non-Android name-brand unit just to make sure I can get satisfaction if it's defective.

By the way, you can thank Garmin and TomTom for the prices of in-dash navigation stereos. They have quietly bought up all the competing products and are in cahoots with price-fixing and price-gouging to keep their profits up in spite of Google Maps and inexpensive or free Android alternatives. I will never buy another Garmin or TomTom product (that includes mobile apps). I just did some research on the Web in order to provide some citations, and all the sources I previously found that refer to the apps and companies that Garmin and TomTom have bought have disappeared, which is suspicious, frustrating and downright scary.

If your favorite app has gone from a map subscription business model to a navigation subscription business model, you can be sure that either Garmin or TomTom owns it. Since there's no such thing as an "up-to-date map" anyway and everybody has gotten used to the limitations and workarounds of Navigation devices, nobody is paying the exorbitant cost of map updates, so now they're trying to force people to pay subscriptions to use navigation on their devices and apps. Free map updates, but no navigation. Brilliant, no? Just like a printer without ink, they've hit on a way to force people to continuously pay to use a device they've already paid good money to purchase. Their evil knows no bounds.

It's only a matter of time until they transfer this to their standalone devices, so I strongly recommend that you stop updating your devices for a few years until this all shakes out. They can easily make this modification to the OS of your standalone device with one of their innocuous firmware updates. So if it's not broken, don't let them "fix" it. With any luck this will eventually make its way to high courts around the world, but for now I would not trust any updates.

I know this all reads like a conspiracy theory tirade, but I've been heavily into GPS tech since the late 1990s (geocaching since 2001), almost since the beginning of consumer devices, and I've been frustrated by the costs and corporate control of the tech the whole time. It's insane that corporations are being allowed to make astounding profits on public data, just like they've done with phone directories, genealogical records and other public data.

I'm using OSMand on Android because it's cheap (US$6.49 for paid version, free otherwise), open source and uses the free OpenStreetMap map data. It's not perfect and lacks 3D view (I prefer 2D north-up anyway in unfamiliar territory), but has lots of features that no standalone device or commercial app has. If you need updated maps, check out OpenStreetMap for free maps. If you have a TomTom you're pretty much out of luck, but most Garmin devices can use the free maps, and there are people who have already processed the data into nice Garmin-compatible packages. The OpenStreetMap site has instructions and links for that. You can also help increase the comprehensiveness and accuracy of the street data if you're into that kind of thing. It's really cool to edit the map data and see the changes show up on your nav app's map the next time it updates.

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

P.S. My "printer without ink" analogy is only valid with respect to the fact that a navigation device is useless without the ability to give navigation functionality. Where the analogy breaks down is that a printer requires consumables that are a real, physical product that has to be manufactured. But street data is public data, regardless of what the navigation corporations want you to think. Remember when you used to get free paper maps at any filling station? They are long gone, but not coincidentally they disappeared about the time that GPS came on the scene and Garmin, Navtech and other corporations started getting their hooks in the map data.

But the bottom line is that public money pays for all transportation infrastructure, and as such all related data belongs to the public, not private corporations. While the map data companies want you to believe that they personally have surveyed all their map data, the truth is that the overwhelming majority of it was supplied by governments, and their contribution is only with the occasional correction that has been brought to their attention. And with the proliferation of navigation devices, it's actually you who are providing those corrections (for free, and they actually want you to pay for the privilege) just by driving down the road. That's why they want you to frequently connect your standalone device to your computer to "update your device" (when really you're updating their data) and why mobile apps need data connections.

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

Since I'm on a tirade, one more gripe about AutoPumpkin: I also bought a bluetooth OBDII dongle from them for use with the Torque app that also comes on the stereo. I'm familiar with the app and have used it with a different OBDII reader that I don't currently have access to. Anyway, the dongle from AutoPumpkin is apparently incompatible with my i30 diesel (if not actually defective), because when it's plugged in the car bucks like a bronco and risks severe damage to the vehicle, never mind the occupants. I sent that back with the stereo, and I don't know if they returned the same one or a different one, but it does exactly the same thing. Pumpkin has not been any more helpful with this device than they have been with the stereo.

Offline wolfmane

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kogarah, NSW

An example of the new subscription mode:
Route 66 https://www.route66app.com/
Quote: "Navigation is a premium service, available for selected countries, and can be purchased in the Store inside the app."

Note the word "navigation" rather than "maps"...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That a bit of a novel to read through :)

I don't have anything android but do have a Garmin nuvi 3597 with lifetime map updates, I find it's a brilliant little tool and it's never let me down yet :goodjob2:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Damn that isn't good on the stereo - thanks for the info regards maps/navigation...
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal